The back side of a knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Does anyone else “sharpen” the back of their knife blades?

Not all of them!

My Opinels come with a precise 90 degree edge which is famously effective on a ferrocerium rod, but they make excellent veg scrapers and wood dust makers as well.

I have a cheap chefs knife that I’ve been using for prepping some roadkill fox pelts. I sharpen this to a pair of tight 90’s. This is primarily for scraping the pelt but the edge is sufficiently precise that it can cut the wet hide beautifully straight.

I’m sure there must be other uses for a 90 degree edge.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I find the hump on a nessmuk is handy for scraping things. I tend to wack it a few times with a hammer to get a sharp burr.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
I spent a few hours the other day putting a decent 90 degree on all my knives, just makes sense to me, great for scraping and sparking the ferro rod, saves the cutting edge too.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I spent a few hours the other day putting a decent 90 degree on all my knives, just makes sense to me, great for scraping and sparking the ferro rod, saves the cutting edge too.
I find it good to go slightly under 90 degrees - I don’t have a definite angle that I measure to but less than a square corner!

Reactions: cbrdave

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
I find it good to go slightly under 90 degrees - I don’t have a definite angle that I measure to but less than a square corner!
Too be honest, I do it by hand so not exactly a 90, couldn't find my engineers square for checking but once they scrape and spark well I was happy.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK

Are you saying that one edge is under 90 and one over?
Or do you slightly hollow grind the back? That thought has never occurred to me. Thanks.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I do the opposite :) - especially on the chef's knives I make, I round the corners slightly on the top so they don't cut if you put a thumb on them. On some of the 'camp' knives I square the front 2/3rds and take the edge off the handle end of the blade or even tool a 'thumb grip' (I'm sure there's a proper word for that :)).

2017-12-22 17.22.31 - 1024 - 25.jpg

Reactions: Pattree and Kadushu

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Are you saying that one edge is under 90 and one over?
Or do you slightly hollow grind the back? That thought has never occurred to me. Thanks.
One under, one over - it’s slightly angled off square. For me, as it’s held normally, the left side is the higher (right handed) so when the knife is flipped the pushing edge of the back is ‘sharp’. Mainly used for ferro rod scraping. Only about an inch of the tip as the rest doesn’t need to be sharp. Towards the handle end of the back I’ll knock the corners off to be kinder to the thumb.
Doing this does make it look a bit odd visually so I’ve never sold a pre made knife with this as people don’t like it without understanding it first. I have done it to customers knives on request after they’ve seen it in hand.

Reactions: Pattree

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE