The curse of the video camera - a rant!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
As for snares, I've found them up by me with very very dead rabbits that have been there days or a fox has had them so snares are left unattended.

you check snares at least once every day for a number of reasons not just animal welfare, the longer something is in a snare the more chance a predator will beat you to it and you will have wasted your time if a fox has taken it from the snare, the point of snaring is to catch food for yourself not supply easy meat for other animals, and should you actually catch something in your snare you want the meat to be fresh not several days old, birds like magpies and crows will peck at the carcase, cats will chew on the carcase and badgers will eat the carcse too, incidentally you can always tell when a fox takes a snared rabbit because you will find just a rabbits head left behind in the snare with no body, when rabbits are snared they very often squeel and that attracts foxes to the rabbit which they will promptly eat.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
i've been snaring for years and I find that roughly 70% of the time the rabbit is sat quietly hidden as best it can in whatever cover it can reach, they aren't thick if they aren't killed by running full whack into the snare and getting a broken neck they won't strangle themselves trying to get out.

on the original topic my personal hatred in amateur video's, which makes me turn them off immediately, is poor quality sound recording, mainly due to wind noise. only £20 for a half decent microphone with a windshield

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hi, set rabbit snares should be checked a minimum of once every day (preferrably twice), if rabbits are left for 'days' in snares that is gross negligence, correctly set snares can break a rabbits neck instantly but admittedly sometimes they can choke to death in snares in a few minutes, however all rabbits still alive when caught should be dispatched instantly by the method i described earlier which is known as 'chinning'', chinning (breaking its neck) is instantaneous death and very humane choking a rabbit to death is not and uneccesserily cruel and unprofessional.....

"Professionals" neither trap rabbits nor use snares for the animals we do trap. Rabbit fur is much easier farmed and has a much better quality control. Trapping other animals professionally we use steel leg hold traps. And the best way to kill them is a .22 bullet behind the ear; unless it's a beaver set in which case they should be drowned when you check the trap (that is if you set the trap properly anyway)

Snaring is for amateurs, survivalists, and recreational trappers.

Last edited:

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Professionals" neither trap rabbits nor use snares for the animals we do trap.

Snaring is for amateurs, survivalists, and recreational trappers..

That may be the case in the USA, but over here, snares have been used for generations to trap Rabbit, id really like you to meet some of the old country folk i know who have lived and worked the countryside all of their lives and have used snares for 60 years or more in some cases and see the reaction you get when you call them amateurs, survivalists, and recreational trappers.

Different cultures have different methods and just because they are different, it doesnt make it wrong or make the users amateurs

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
"Professionals" neither trap rabbits nor use snares for the animals we do trap. Rabbit fur is much easier farmed and has a much better quality control. trapping other animals professionally we use steel leg hold traps.

Snaring is for amateurs, survivalists, and recreational trappers..

Hi santaman2000, here in the UK rabbits are snared on occasion by professional pest controllers simply to reduce their numbers not for their fur and the meat goes for human consumption or sometimes to the pet food trade but their fur/pelts has no real monetary value, trapping with steel leg hold traps is illegal here in the UK for any animal.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That may be the case in the USA, but over here, snares have been used for generations to trap Rabbit, id really like you to meet some of the old country folk i know who have lived and worked the countryside all of their lives and have used snares for 60 years or more in some cases and see the reaction you get when you call them amateurs, survivalists, and recreational trappers.

Different cultures have different methods and just because they are different, it doesnt make it wrong or make the users amateurs

Fair enough that they are likely expert at it Kepis. Just as most farmers here are also reasonably expert hunters. The reference to "professional" though carries a certain conotation that the practioner is doing so as a business venture.

And FWIW I have met some of them. We didn't discuss trapping but rather farming usually. I rather liked all the country folk I met while over there. We seemed to have a great deal more in common than we did diferences.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hi santaman2000, here in the UK rabbits are snared on occasion by professional pest controllers simply to reduce their numbers not for their fur and the meat goes for human consumption or sometimes to the pet food trade but their fur/pelts has no real monetary value, trapping with steel leg hold traps is illegal here in the UK for any animal.

Understood that it's illegal there; but (and forgive me if I'm wrong) but I was under the impression that the video that led the discussion in this direction wasn't shot there.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Understood that it's illegal there; but (and forgive me if I'm wrong) but I was under the impression that the video that led the discussion in this direction wasn't shot there.

Hi santaman2000, snaring rabbits is not illegal here in the UK, however you are not wrong in that the video was not shot over here, i would have thought though that dispatching animals efficiently quickly and humanely applied to whatever country you lived in.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hi santaman2000, snaring rabbits is not illegal here in the UK, however you are not wrong in that the video was not shot over here, i would have thought though that dispatching animals efficiently quickly and humanely applied to whatever country you lived in.

No not snaring; I meant steel leghold traps are illegal there. But not where the video was shot.

As to killing them quicly and humaenly, our methods differ. Here the normal method for killing a wounded rabbit (or most any small animal or bird) is to stomp its head if they're wounded while hunting. On the other hand the furbearers normally taken in traps aren't always the docile kind that can be handled so easily; as stated, a .22 behind the ear works quickly and causes the least damage to the pelt. Maybe a little more firepower for larger predators like wolves.

On the other hand Rik brought up that in the video he bludgeoned a fish to kill it. That normally isn't even a concern here. Just put it in the cooler or on a stringer until it can be cleaned (and its death is merely part of the cleaning process; it will die when gutted)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
No not snaring; I meant steel leghold traps are illegal there. But not where the video was shot.

As to killing them quicly and humaenly, our methods differ. Here the normal method for killing a wounded rabbit (or most any small animal or bird) is to stomp its head if they're wounded while hunting. On the other hand the furbearers normally taken in traps aren't always the docile kind that can be handled so easily; as stated, a .22 behind the ear works quickly and causes the least damage to the pelt. Maybe a little more firepower for larger predators like wolves.

On the other hand Rik brought up that in the video he bludgeoned a fish to kill it. That normally isn't even a concern here. Just put it in the cooler or on a stringer until it can be cleaned (and its death is merely part of the cleaning process; it will die when gutted)

Hi santaman2000, we kill fish here as well by knocking them on the head which i have no probelm with at all when taking them for the pot and have done it countless times myself, the game fisherman even have a name for their cosh which is called a ''priest'' (mad englishmen i know) :)

Steffen

Forager
Jun 13, 2010
Norway
i love youtube :)
in addition to the channels previously mentioned, i would like to recommend:

aussiemark909 - geocaching, knives and various stuff
crawlingroad : outdoors-related traveling, knives and such
jumpthemap : great backpack reviews, and tons of them
stschmalhaus : non-tactical knives and maxpedition stuff

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I like Youtube cos no matter what review, or way of making something, there's usually someone who has put it on there. Non elitist and they all just share the info for free.

Yeah, sometimes the camera is a bit wonky and some of them are so bad that I just can't watch but there's some diamonds in the rough there.

Making wood burning stoves? Youtubes got masses of stuff about it.
Alcohol stoves? Youtube again.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I like youtube for many reasons. Never bothered to watch bushcraft on it though to be honest. The comments make me lose the will to live on the majority of videos so I avoid that bit. If things wind me up I tend to avoid them in general whenever possible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE