The curse of the video camera - a rant!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
Have to disagree, I think YouTube is an amazing source of free information (dangerous advice aside) The bad stuff can be overlooked.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Editing a video can be very time consuming - with an iPhone, for example, you can upload direct to YT so most people don't bother. I agree it makes hunting for decent stuff a bit harder but they do have a ratings system

Not everyone is open to criticism, mind :rolleyes:

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Horah for youtube. I tend not to watch the amateur bushcraft vids though there some goodens. I rather like the wild camp vids , not the perfectly edited ones with superb vistors, inserted stills & dramatic music but those where a guy takes a camera out with him & talks to us as if we were there with him. It's what they have to say, what they're feeling that interests me, not the landscape, however magnificent.
There is a lot of talent on youtube as well as crap............. if you are only hitting the crap, it's prehaps not youtube you should be blaming :D

Like many I've learnt an awful lot through youtube ( & I'm not talking bushcrafty things ) & find it a constant source of inspiration.:)

God forbid it should ever become uniquely reserved for those skilled in camera work......what a dull place it would be.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Over a year ago, on this site, I encountered a video froma well-respected member of this forum (whom I shall not name, at least partly because I can't be 100% sure of who it was after all this time), whose video consisted of him arriving alone at a site at midday in high summer, sun shining etc, lit a fire he didn't need for anything, and then set off on a 20 minute walk around the site, leaving the fire burning unattended behind him. He showed some mushrooms, and announced "I don't know what these are, but they are edible, and I'll be eating some tomorrow and feeding them to others" (I'm paraphrasing).

I turned it off.

caffeine

Banned
Jul 29, 2012
Earth
agreed under some circumstances ... although these skills didnt come about by people sitting on them they were made to be shared.

I don't really care what camera they have or if the video is amazing / HD etc (that's very shallow)

im just happy that they have taken the time to do something constructive ... even if not explained or demonstrated in the right light / fashion

youtube is an amazing place ... with good and bad and everything in between

if we were all perfectionists we'd never get anything done.

making the videos is a big investment on their part ... demonstrating / recording / editing

and practice makes perfect ... i also wouldnt expect someone who's an expert at bushcraft to be very good with a camera / video editing etc

i love youtube for what it is :) ... you can always watch 5/6 videos to get a good clear idea.

sharing knowledge is fundamental to the internet.

Have to disagree, I think YouTube is an amazing source of free information (dangerous advice aside) The bad stuff can be overlooked.
_,mark_ +1 brother

to me its a difference between taking your self too seriously or knowing your not Spielberg,
made me lol

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
99% of us treat Youtube as a bit of fun, put up some knocked up video very often just to share with mates, nowt serious.

The flip side is that you have access to some wonderful stuff, set your filter to 9-20 min or over 20min in length and that looses a lot of rubbish. I'm a classic film fan and these days you can watch old films that you cannot get elsewhere, get to watch old documentaries you cannot get elswhere. I'm well into WW2 history and some of the documentary/information films on there you just can't go and buy.

Search youtube right and there is an absolute wealth of good stuff on there; you'll know in seconds if the video quality is poor so just move on.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Wow! reading this thread is 15 minutes of my life I'm never getting back.

This thread should, as a pure rant about youtube, have been put in other chatter. It serves no useful or informative purpose (other than good links posted by Shewie) and smacks of elitism and the attitude that if people can't do it "right" they shouldn't have fun doing it at all.

Now I'm not big on censorship myself, everyone is entitled to a point of view, you don't need to be a film director to have a valid opinion about a film but I'm fairly certain this thread adds zero value to the bushcraft community.

Thanks.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
..............apart from reassuring many that they aren't alone in wondering just how badly some seem to need their 5 minutes...... :rolleyes:
Bushcraft Chatter........it's a conversation about the portrayal of bushcraft on YouTube (and I know I'm not the only Scot who reads that and sniggers quietly......"You Choob!", is addressed to complete idiots.
Sadly for many who post there, the insult is all too relevant :headbang:

cheers,
Toddy

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Most things on the Interweb have a 99% chaff / 1% rough diamond ratio. I would include Youtube, BCUK and my postings in that description. Knowing how to find the good stuff is a neccessary life skill, this is nothing new. Most text books are only partially relevant to any one individual and yet we manage to find the info that is relevant amongst the guff e.g. by using the index or contents pages. Similarly most of us only watch a small proportion of the TV content that is on offer; we can filter the content using Radio Times, online guides or the Sky+ EPG. Modern information technology has new filtration methods; we can use the advanced search function of Google, use a mouse to fast forward a video to the good bits etc. I'll suggest that 90% of people who think that the Web is mostly chaff are
a) not taking full advantage of the search functions and
b) don't realise the the Internet is not all about them. 'You' are not always the target audience.

There is, in my opinion, a lot to be thankful for in the low quality of Youtube videos. If we see a high quality video there is a temptation to assume that the information contained in the video is also of a high quality. This is not the case. Low quality videos make it easier to question the content, this is a good thing. I saw a wonderfully produced video on the Discovery Channel last week, it was about the Korean War. The pictures were fantastic but sadly many were of WWII or Vietnam! Just because it's on a major TV channel doesn't mean it's well produced! I've seen terrible vids on Youtube that contain a nugget of information, sometimes it's worth allowing for the skill deficit of the maker and taking the time to search for the good stuff.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
..............apart from reassuring many that they aren't alone in wondering just how badly some seem to need their 5 minutes...... :rolleyes:
Bushcraft Chatter........it's a conversation about the portrayal of bushcraft on YouTube (and I know I'm not the only Scot who reads that and sniggers quietly......"You Choob!", is addressed to complete idiots.....

Never mind that many official agencies (Parks & Wildlife, State conservation agencies, The Red Cross, etc.) post on youtube. Silly facts always get in the way don't they?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Bushcraft Chatter........it's a conversation about the portrayal of bushcraft on YouTube (and I know I'm not the only Scot who reads that and sniggers quietly......"You Choob!", is addressed to complete idiots.
Sadly for many who post there, the insult is all too relevant :headbang:

cheers,
Toddy

Reassuring? awww bless... People are really that full of self-doubt and fear that they need this public service message?

And there was me thinking it was just a plain and simple rant about the curse of the video camera, maybe I didn't read the title correctly.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Reassuring? awww bless... People are really that full of self-doubt and fear that they need this public service message?

And there was me thinking it was just a plain and simple rant about the curse of the video camera, maybe I didn't read the title correctly.

My last post not withstanding. I for one value both John's and Mary's opinions. As I've said on other threads, nobody has to read any thread; it's a matter of choice. Just like watching any given youtube video.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Hey, if people can bitch about youtube, I can bitch about threads. It's a bit ironic that people don't like me complaining about people complaining about something - no?

And I value many peoples opinions (John and Mary included!) but when I don't agree, I don't agree. I love my girlfriend Eloise totally but we don't agree on every subject. We're mature enough though that a bit of a moan doesn't get out of hand. I'm sure i'll get a good flaming for this though.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
John please forgive me for asking this, but do you realize that you are part of the problem? At least by neglect. In that I mean that you yourself (and other competent people such as yourself) don't put more good videos onto such media. I realize that this sort of thing (reviewing equipment, tutorials, instruction, etc.) is your profession and that in and of itself deters you from offering it gratis on such media, but nonetheless, it leaves said media open for incompetents to go unchallenged. When you put your objection on such forums as this, you're really only preaching to the choir.

Perhaps an answer would be some sort of rating system whereby a viewer could see endorsements from recognized experts before viewing?
Ah - I recognise the fact that I am no good with a movie camera, have limmitted experience in front of a camera and have a phobia when it comes to technology!
The very reasons that I would not be able to produce a vid worth opening ... like too many others out there already!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE