Show us your Bushcraft Hat (hopefully will end up pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That´s some nice info you´ve got there Skaukraft! I wasn´t aware of that.
Here in the south the male bunad is usually worn with something like this: http://bilde.kk.no/ja+vi+elsker+menn+i+bunad.jpg?o=3063462&w=698&h=0&ee=1242134752
Now I have an even bigger excuse to wear it; it´s tradition ;)

You are spot on Arya, men who wear baseball caps probably do take fashion tips from these chaps

ja+vi+elsker+menn+i+bunad.jpg

On a more serious note, that was fascinating Skaukraft - thank you!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
A mature man selects the most suitable hat for the occassion, then uses it regardless of whose "domain" it may be: Same as any other item of kit, methinks...................atb mac

The ultimate IQ reducer is the beanie, I think. Ever see a mature man wear a beanie? It's the domain of the teenager...

I refute that statement.
I'm 32 wear the possum merino wool beanie from woodlore.
I like to consider myself mature.

As for iq reducer I feel its being subject to worrying about other peoples opinions about what is suitable to wear

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Here's my trusted companion, together with some trusted companions for the other end of my body.
R0010595_zps93500d80.jpg

Speaking of baseball caps. The grandfather of the base ball cap have been a part of the bunad (traditional norwegian clothing) from where I grew up for centuries. It is called a Skjoldlue, which developed into the Østerdalslue that again developed into the base ball cap we know today.
If you look at the third picture from the top on this page: http://www.elverumske.no/esc_norsk/draktskikk.htm , then you see the skjoldlue used typically around 1800's (and is still used to day together with the male bunad from Østerdalen.
On this page you see a variety of Østerdalslue models, which has been the prefered headwear for lumberjacks, woodsmen and craftsmen for generations in the district were I grew up. At the bottom you also see two models of the Skjoldlue: http://www.hufa-luefabrikk.no/default.asp?menu=69
So it is really the base ball cap that has the deepest roots, and best of all, the roots are norwegian

Interesting. You might well be right; or it might even be the other way around. The baseball cap as we know it also dates back to the 1800s (just as the game itself does. I had always thought the cap evolved from the railroad engineer's cap which goes back as far as trains themselves here:

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Mind the language difference; over here "engineer" means the driver when referring to trains.

Last edited:

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
My guess is that some kind of base ball cap-ish hat has be used by many different folks through the years, and that the base ball cap as we know it to day is a result of a paralell evolution. The story about the Skjoldlue and Østerdalslue evolving into the base ball cap is a nice story, but I really think the truth is a bit more complex than that.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
When do I get my gold plated member's card and box of high quality Cuban cigars?

Well we're maybe more of a Club of Distraction!

But it's like owning a MG Car. Other owners give you a "nod" in the street, there's a "knowing" between us. And that self assured glance is worth more than a card. We are the new cognoscenti, the outdoor illuminate, The Tilley Pilleati.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Well we're maybe more of a Club of Distraction!

But it's like owning a MG Car. Other owners give you a "nod" in the street, there's a "knowing" between us. And that self assured glance is worth more than a card. We are the new cognoscenti, the outdoor illuminate, The Tilley Pilleati.

Heh, heh. Well said, friend.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
The ultimate IQ reducer is the beanie, I think. Ever see a mature man wear a beanie? It's the domain of the teenager...

Um.... no it isn't.

If a hat is an IQ reducer then it's probably the size that is out, rather than the style.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I finally got a new hat! :D

It fullfills my taste and needs, without the risk of me being punk slapped for looking silly in the ghetto. Pictures and review to follow shortly!

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
If a beanie is a IQ reducer, then a Tilley is a street cred killer!

I seen a guy in B&Q cruising along with a Tilley on, I nearly asked him if he was a bushcrafter, then however I realised what it would do to my street cred, so I left it!

Even better one side was buttoned up and the other wasn't, like an Australian Army hat, I think I might have laughed out loud, but only for a short time!

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
The flatcap seems to be neglected here apart from bushwhacker's post so I'll add a pic of my titfer

Canvas, tweed, wax and leather, all works for me!

Bad pic but I'm a big fan of the Jone's style duck hunting hat. These were the norm when I was growing up in Canada but are like hen's teeth these days for some reason. Took ages to find a decent one! It's not an Elmer Fudd hat, they're different but a better pic is in order...

I have baseball hats too, the only wide brimmed hat I wear is a Karrimor hat from Sport Soccer I grabbed for £3 a couple years back. I'm not too keen on it unless I'm in prolonged rain, I just don't like the look of them myself. Proper fur hat for the winter when it's cold and tend to not bother with a hat more often than not. Wear what you like people! Plenty of options out there and life's too short to worry about what others think.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I like that, the nice mustard shade and there's something almost a cross between Robin Hoods classic hat and a 60's moped helmet that just works. I really do. I've a classic Swanndri Elmer Fudd hat in green wool which is lovely in the cold weather. But I'm fancying a Jones hat now.

GB

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I like that, the nice mustard shade and there's something almost a cross between Robin Hoods classic hat and a 60's moped helmet that just works. I really do. I've a classic Swanndri Elmer Fudd hat in green wool which is lovely in the cold weather. But I'm fancying a Jones hat now.

GB

Good luck on your quest mate! I had to get one in Canada and even then it was tricky. Try LL Bean, they're about the only place selling them in anything but blaze orange. It's really warm so more suited to Autumn to Spring, it has the earflap folded up in it and primaloft lining with goretex too. They look out of place in the UK but it's nice wearing something nobody else has apart from Robin Hood reenactors on scooters...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE