Show us your Bushcraft Hat (hopefully will end up pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Haven't heard a bad word about the Tilley hat. I guess an expensive price tag translates to endurance and longevity in this case.
I have worn out several!
But they are replaced for the price of postage every time :) That makes them very cheap and a hat for life :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Nothing wrong with flat caps, my dad wore one all his life (when he didn't have to wear a uniform hat). I have one but it doesn't get as much use as it deserves. I have had three Tilley T3s and have lost them all, I have an Akubra Kangaroo skin hat that I have lost twice but that has always returned to me just like a boomerang. In the Winter months I wear one of Woodlores fabulous Possum Fur and Merino Wool beanie hats, I like it so much I bought four more as spares, however I have yet to lose the first one.

Not so many pictures of it though, you can just see it peaking out from underneath the hood in this one.

P2220010.JPG

Woodlore Merino Beanie

Last edited:

matt.gp

Apr 24, 2013
North England
Well my real deal brazil hat came and I'm thinking I want another. This one is a large and fits just snug so fancy another a size up that will be less right for the hot days!

So here it is, very pleased with the look and fit although was a bit snug at first. The hat has a elastic band inside much like a flexfit baseball hat, so I picked out all the stitching and pulled it out. Unfortunately that was the stitching holding the brim on! So after stitching the brim back on I was good to go. Nothing fancy with the paracord just keeping the rustic look of the hat alive.

ytu9y3am.jpg

ru8yhaju.jpg

Paul Webster

Jan 29, 2011
Stroud
Most of the time I wear an 'IQ reducing' baseball cap, purely because I just need something to keep the rain off my glasses or the sun out of my eyes. I used to wear them all the time as a pilot as the headset just goes over the top.

I do have a Dorfman pacific outback cotton hat which is great as its crushable and easy to reshape.

http://www.amazon.com/Dorfman-Pacific-Weathered-Cotton-Outback-With/dp/B002NSM3OI

zateqyqe.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Am I the only one who never wears a hat? Itchy, hot, the wind blows it off.
And I just don't see the need. I like rain and snow. If my head wasn't supposed to get wet it wouldn't be raining!:)

And if you really want your head to stay dry, that's what hoods are for.:cool:

matt.gp

Apr 24, 2013
North England
Tempted by a tarp hat, seeing as the top of my head seems to be catching more of the sun.
How do they size up? I seem to have landed in a size between the large and extra large. Measured my head a few times and its coming out between 23" and 23.5"

Yea my bonce is about 23.2 and the L was snug, I'm getting an XL too now I actually would have exchanged it but I un stitched the elastic bit thinking it may be better- it's wearable but pretty snug on a hot day. If you wear your hat woody from toy story style ie half way up your forehead then a L will probably suit but if you want full clint Eastwood resting on your eyebrows badass style then it's gonna be snug. Plus I think the sizes will be less than consistent with them being made sweat shop style...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
And I just don't see the need. I like rain and snow. If my head wasn't supposed to get wet it wouldn't be raining!:)

Oh well if you don't want it I'll send your late Birthday hat back to the manufacturer.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Oh well if you don't want it I'll send your late Birthday hat back to the manufacturer.

:lmao:I have really been coveting one of those. But still I can't justify the expense for those 2 weeks of snow a year that I can wear it without getting sent to the insane asylum... I wonder if mother would let me wear one to church.:cool:

In all seriousness though I'll just throw the question out there... Does anyone here have a coonskin cap and at what times of the year can you wear it?

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

If the wind blows it off - it doesn't fit properly (seriously). As for hoods, they are horrible things - if you turn your head, you end up half blind - awful!

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
If the wind blows it off - it doesn't fit properly (seriously). As for hoods, they are horrible things - if you turn your head, you end up half blind - awful!

I'll admit that is indeed a disadvantage of a hood. But you can't forget to take a hood with you and they protect your head and face more from wind than most hats. Also you can use the drawcord to get to close it up more if nessecary. Can't do that with your hat now can you?:)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
<chuckle>

You stick with hoods if you like them! I hate that loss of peripheral vision and hearing - so I'll hat it - but not always - as you say, depends on the weather

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I get paranoid wearing a hood, plus the noise drives me mental. Hat or nothing. Have cut hoods off of some jackets.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
No one for the ol' balaclava then?

Used to wear one all the time, it went well with my swag bag and boom stick :D

Seriously though, I used to wear one rolled up like a wooly, and roll it down when it slept out as I didn't want bugs on my face..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE