First proper night out (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Well, I did it, first night in the woods and escaped relatively unscathed...

Packed my kit and couldn't believe how much room it took up. Most of this was the sleeping bag (which I was bought when in the Scouts nearly 25 years ago - just calculated that, makes me feel very old... it's a synthetic fill mummy bag from Cotswold Camping, with a cotton lining, so quite comfortable but just very bulky). Wasn't that heavy, fortunately, and the walk to my camping area was only about 20 minutes so I grabbed the dog and headed out

84a56a6d.jpg

To get to my campsite, I had to walk through a Woodland Trust reserve. Noticed someone had built quite a funky debris shelter, albeit right next to the main footpath. They hadn't left any litter which was great:

4ddb2675.jpg

Got to my campsite. It's in a wooded gully in between two fields. You can only get into it from one side as the other side is completely overgrown with bracken and brambles. Getting down to where my pack is involves clambering down some small cliffs anyway. The tree my pack is resting on is where the head end of my hammock was strung:

0ba40b0e.jpg

Strung up my ridgeline. As I've mentioned in other threads, it's a £-shop paracord line with two loops in it. Between these loops is a paracord whoopie sling to tension it. The dry bag I use to store my hammock in is suspended from the line to keep it all off the ground. As the weather was forecast to be good, I didn't put the tarp up:

04e3f952.jpg

Strung the hammock up with my homemade whoopie slings and soft shackles. I've modified the hammock (a Tenth Wonder) by putting some eyelets along the side. These have two functions, firstly, they help keep the camping mat from slipping out and secondly, the hammock can be pulled up around me in a cocoon to make things extra cosy:

5aa6c5d5.jpg

A close-up of the lacing. It makes getting into the hammock/bivi really difficult but I think it's worth it once you're in:

87dcd748.jpg

Once I'd pitched the hammock, I took my cooking stuff over to a flatter area (with less chance of setting my stuff on fire!). As you can see, even from this distance away, the hammock isn't that visible. Was enjoying a cup of Waitrose Pea and Mint soup whilst my main meal of Supernoodles with lamb kofta was cooking. The dog at this point had vanished. Being a spaniel, he's constantly on the move. I heard him barking in the distance and initially thought he'd run into some other dogwalkers (he gets fear aggression). It was when a large deer bolted in my direction down the gully, panicked by the dog, that I realised this wasn't the case. The deer saw me and turned around. It couldn't climb the cliffs and really started panicking. Eventually, it thrashed away though the undergrowth and out of sight. I recalled the dog and gave him some water. Spaniels get easily dehydrated and he more or less finished my entire water supply. I knew then I'd have to tie him up just to stop him running about

5ef85390.jpg

Dinner eaten (and very tasty it was too), I decided to climb out of the gully to see how visible my campsite was going to be to someone walking by. It actually took me quite a while to spot my own camp and I'm not even sure if you can see it in this photo:

e2cef62e.jpg

It started getting colder so I wriggled into my sleeping bag/bivi and got comfortable. I'd put the dog into a coat (we use it for when he's in the convertible :D) with a harness around him. To this, I'd attached a webbing strap and this went in a loop around me and the hammock. The advantage was that the dog could sleep under the hammock (I'd forgotten anything for him to lie on) or get into the hammock without getting tangled up. He started off on the ground and as the light faded, I tried to settle down.

The spot I'd chosen is not far from the bypass. Normal traffic is noisy enough but bikers obviously choose to race up and down there at hellish speeds. We're also under the Gatwick flightpath so aircraft noise was quite apparent too. You forget how good double glazing is! The dog had also decided to clamber up into the hammock and he lay across me which was very comfortable. Unfortunately, the beer I'd drunk earlier started to take effect and I realised that I'd have to get up for a wee. This was a real shame as I was very cosy and the dog was settled but there was no option. At this stage I was still wearing a hat I'd been given. It's a baseball cap with LED lights in the brim. Worked very effectively although seeing the dog at such close quarters was a bit "Blair Witch-y" with his glowing eyes'n'all. Comfort restored, I settled back down again.

Those of you who have slept in hammocks with know that things tend to gravitate towards the centre. Being a Nylon hammock and having a synthetic bivi bag (Alpkit Hunka XL), the dog didn't have much to cling on to. As a result, he kept sliding down the side of me where he'd get stuck and start struggling. This didn't make for a restful night and I had indigestion too so didn't really sleep a wink. The slightest noise would make the dog jerk upright and although he didn't bark, every time I was about to drop off, he'd wake me up again.

Later in the night, he got too hot, so got out of the hammock and onto the ground, where he stayed for an hour or so. He then got too cold and wanted to come back in again where he lay, shivering and taking up most of the room. I'd read some of the messages of "support" on the forum so was well prepared for scary noises. Did hear some foxes in the distance but aside from some minor rustling and a very dim glowworm, I saw and heard nothing major.

Was quite relieved when morning came and actually managed to fall asleep for a bit. Was a bit chilly as the sleeping bag isn't especially long and it was very difficult to get my shoulders covered in the hammock. The setup itself was quite comfortable, no hard ridges like before and the whoopie slings held up fine. I'd left the tarp and some spare clothes in dry bags which were clipped around the end of the hammock. These could be swung round to act as pillows or just left dangling. The Bergen was suspended from a tree and looked quite sinister in the dark:

35c6f537.jpg

Would I do it again? Probably. Would I take the dog again? Hmmm... it was nice having something to cuddle in the dark but he really didn't make it easy to sleep. I think I'd try to tie him up differently as when he was under the hammock, he'd rock it whenever he moved. I'd also try to ensure he had a mat to sleep on so he didn't try to join me. Wasn't particularly scared - I knew that once it got dark, there wouldn't be anyone going past and even if there was, I couldn't be easily seen. Quite proud that I stuck it out!

Cleared everything up and walked out, hopefully leaving no trace (didn't leave any litter, although I think the dog did some light digging - the ground is full of animal burrows any way)

My bedroom ceiling:
4ea6e1f7.jpg

Had a bonus on the walk back. Those of you who have iPhones will know that the camera takes about 20 minutes to respond by which time whatever you're trying to photograph will have got bored and moved on - this includes buildings. However, I startled some more deer who were lying completely hidden in the grass. They didn't run far, however and remained still enough for me to photograph (getting the rapidly moving dog in shot too was a bonus!):

27b66834.jpg

Back home now. Dog is knackered and asleep. Think I'll go and snuffle in his face to see how he likes it!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Excellent trip out by the looks of it - nice one, yep go and snuffle in the dogs face, nothing quite like getting your own back :)

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Well done mate. The previous posts about boar are quite correct. We have boar to as far west as Uckfield! They are very territorial and defensive. Glad you enjoyed you night out. It's always better with a mate as the mind doesn't wander so much! A recent night out in Ashdown had me completely ignoring the planes but woke immediately when some chaves walked by about 400m away!

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Glad you survived. Had my first solo night recently too, its amazing how quickly you adjust to the noises and can figure out what they are, like that woman screaming that is actually foxes. I like camping with mates but there is something very nice and relaxing about going solo.:)

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Sounds great and you will learn what works for you and what doesn't Well done
I think if you had a separate blanket for dog to make a bed and tied to a tree you would be fine

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
cool report matey!, I have a little tarp for my dog, I just cut a meter square from a ruined basha, its big enough to peg three corners down for a dry spot for him\her depending which comes with me, there Labrador size, just heap a load of leaf litter in there for a bed and keep ontop of the frontline!

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Sounds like a great trip. If i take the dog i just resign my self to sleeping on the floor in my little tent or under a tarp. I found that if the dog is "walled" in so to speak you will get a lot more sleep as the dog just seems less aware. The second night also seems better for the dog as they tend to become less sensitive. The tent or tarp also acts as a "fixed point/bed" for the dog so as your playing you can direct the dog to their bed where they get a sense of ownership which also makes them less hypo.

Its all about tuning your kit as you go along, never stops really,

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
We have boar to as far west as Uckfield! They are very territorial and defensive. Glad you enjoyed you night out. It's always better with a mate as the mind doesn't wander so much!

Wish I'd believed you about the boar before I set out! Must meet up sometime - I've never actually been to the Ashdown Forest!

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
looks like a great first solo trip, thanks for sharing.

i have no idea how people can even contemplate sleeping in a hammock with their dog, i'd expect everything i own to end up getting ruined when the dog got stuck and panicked. if my dog comes camping with me (very rare) he gets tied to a tree, coated, and left to sort himself out if the weather's good, if the weather looks like rain i'll just tie him up a bit closer to me so that he can get under my tarp and out of the rain. if it's really cold then he's in the tent and under my top blanket with me, but that's purely for my benefit, if i've got a tent to hold heat and a dog giving it off it seems a bit wastefull to me not to use one to heat the other. it's all about energy, i have to use some of my own calories to carry the dogs food, if i can get a bit of a return from them calories (i.e. a foul smelling hot water bottle that snores farts in my face all night) then all the better

edit. a couple of people have suggested taking a blanket for the dog, if it gives the dog a place to be so that it's happy and settled then it's worth it's weight in gold, mine's got a "picninc" blanket that i picked up at a car boot sale ages ago, woolen on one side and with a waterproof laer on the other side, it adds very little to the warmth of anything but it gives the dog somewhere to be so he settles down a bit quicker

stuart

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE