First proper night out (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK

I hope that's real ale - I only drink hairy beer with twigs in (and living where you do, you'd be lambasted for not drinking Harveys!)

Now that was a thoroughly good read. Glad you got out of there alive. Well done

Thanks but it's really everyone on here who has helped me with my stupid questions over the last few months culminating in me sleeping about 10 minutes from home (if I left my kit behind and jogged) - wasn't really a life threatening situation, even if my whoopie slings hadn't held up! The main reason for going solo is that none of my friends wanted to go with me and SWMBO isn't interested :(

Peanut

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2011
Essex
Great read mate. Congrats on your first solo. Your spaniel's antics were a good laugh too.

I'm hoping to get out for a solo at some point as soon as work allows.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looks like a good one spandit, I bet you're planning for the next one already :)

Great news about not getting eaten by the killer deer, werewolves, wild boar or rabid badgers

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Nice one! Hoping to do my first solo this weekend, maybe :-/

My advice:

1) Don't plan on going too far away from home/car in case you need to leave before morning
2) Don't pare your kit down to the minimum - it may be heavy lugging it (a short distance, see 1) but you'll be comfortable - take extra warm clothing etc.
3) Practice setting your kit up beforehand - I'd hung my hammock in that spot before and in other places on numerous occasions
4) Don't panic if you hear a noise (which you will) - if you've chosen your spot well enough, nobody will be able to see you and animals won't be bothered (unless you're leaving food out)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Excellent read, I really enjoyed it. Made me wish I had done a few more solo trips when my dog was around!

Thanks. Dog was a real nuisance (as always) but I was glad to have his company and warmth. Perhaps I'll sleep on the ground next time so he doesn't have to jump in the hammock with me!

That sounds like a great first night out and an incredibly well written account - had me laughing out loud. I'd be worried about letting my dog in my hammock, I can just imagine his claws making a little nick in the fabric, my bodyweight splitting the rest of the fabric and the two of us being dumped unceremoniously on the deck.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
...I'd be worried about letting my dog in my hammock, I can just imagine his claws making a little nick in the fabric, my bodyweight splitting the rest of the fabric and the two of us being dumped unceremoniously on the deck

I suppose it's a concern but the TW hammock is double layered and the material is pretty tough (cutting the holes for the eyelets was a pain - my new wad punch wouldn't touch it!). At least we wouldn't have fallen far - was only about 10" above the ground, I think. Most of the time he was on top of my bivi bag - I was more worried about him making a hole in that, to be honest

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE