Open invitation arctic meet 2017

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
:)

Most, if not all, Swedes can talk a bit of english.....even if it, at times, borders to abuse...

Skickat från min GT-I9506 via Tapatalk

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I reckon its only right for me to make the effort though Greger. And its a fascinating language from what I've learned so far. Very easy to understand as well.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Yeah post link up for that course please, if your interested in coming over Ron then we could arrange airports to suit getting picked up on the way

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Oh...that came out a bit wrong...your effort is impressive and as such never in vain.

With a knowledge of local language, I feel less "foreign" when in german or english speaking countries. Prior business trips to France was a bit...limited..as I don't know any besides Vin rouge, sil vous plait...and the odd profanity

For the less language interested bushcrafter - a smile and the queen's english will take you a long way in Sweden

Skickat från min GT-I9506 via Tapatalk

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Ok, I need to get into gear, i need to know if I'm taking my tent and if I need to buy a stove, so, Ron, how many people have you got down for your tent, is there room for more ? Obviously if I'm in with you I'll pull my weight re wood collection etc

Have we got a numbers list of confirmed and possibly going ?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Ok, serious hick up in my planning here. When I proposed the date from the 11th - 17th, I used the dates given for the 2017 holiday calendar. However.... authorities here were kind enough to change that now to week 9; 27-2 until 3-3. That means my son might not get permission to skip school, which would sort of ruin a major purpose for this trip.

Anyway; I now have a Finnish army down bag and some very nice arctic fox fur, thanks to Martti, and am looking at getting some reindeerhides as sleepingmats.

Oh btw; bopdude, there's 3 people + 2 dogs so far, 1 possible and 1 very maybe. The tent can house 12 adults in theory, which would make it... ehhmm... very cosy.
So there is room left, yes. Preparing food inside is possible as there is room for 1 large kettle, but I have no idea how that would influence the balance of the stove.

Last edited:

trade axe

Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2013
Western Canada
As a challenge/recreational activity, I can see the attraction, particularly for the younger man. I still go out for a nippy afternoon hike, or a day ice fishing in a tent now and then. But many winters here can have a severe period, and it just gets old after a while. Hot stew, a warm clean bed, and cable tv are reward for a lifetime of frozen hell these days. But if this still rings your bell, I wish you all a pleasant trip.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Just got my new version of the mountain, cold weather and high altitude personal safety aide memoire.

When looking through it it has loads of good advice.

One personal clothing and equipment this is the recomended for each person to carry when away from camp:

Clothing:
wet weather/combat jacket (with full contnents in pockets....see later)
Mitts inner and outer
head-dress
daysack

Contnents of pocket:
Aide memoire
emergency survival bag
lip salve
face mask
whistle
compass
matches or lighter
headoevr/balaclava
emergency rations
gloves/mittens if not worn
wristlets

Contents of daysack:
waterproof suit
goggle
notebook and pencil
first field dressing
string/paracord 20m
spare gloves
clasp knife
ski scraper
ski waxes
thermal jacket
torch
bivi bag
24 hr rations
vacuum flask.

That is the list when on duty and only advise for certain units and jobs they carry more on them and this list does not include the normal combat kit and webbing that you have on you as well.

Group kit is:
2 x maps
metal mug and spoon
24 hr ration pack
cooker and fuel
sleeping bag
roll mat
CASEEVAC strecther
ski repair equipment
avalanche recsue equipment

You don't need the ski stuff if snow shoeing but you may want kit to repair them if you have them (i.e spare bindings etc)

Another guide is this:

Safety rules for cold weather and mountain regions:
H - Have a map, compass, whistle, knife, First field dressing, note book and pencil.
A - Always wear the correct clothing and carry spare
V - Victuals (food) in case of emergency
E - Ensure you carry the correct equipment and know how to use it
R - Remember the international distress signal (6 whistle blasts and then wait one minute and repeat (lights for night))
S - Seek local advice
A - Always leave a route card/trace
C - Conserve your energy
K - Know your limitations
S - Safety in numbers.

Haversacks which is a nice acronymn and easy for us Bushcrafters to remember :)

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
4da0e74e7e1f95253ada2bd2e5d44dae.jpg
a3a1a1ae1bc6644ff64735e4c5416447.jpg

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
They have a felt insole but seem very breathable. The insole can be removed to dry out the rest would breath ok i think.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE