Looking for a bit of advice about home-grown strawberries.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
On the subject of feeding......plant some borrage, but be carefull as it can be a bit invasive...the flowers are edible but nothing special, however if you take the leaves and soak them with just enough water, they will produce a "liqour" much like baby bio.....water it down to provide a top quality fertiliser for all you're fruit and veg.....tomatoes love it!

Smoggy.

I think you can do the same with nettles and comfrey, and where we are there's LOADS of the stuff hanging around, saves taking up valuable garden space growing it.

Just a heads up though, the reason I'm relaying to you and not talking from experience is that I live in a terrace and I'm told it smells bad. So maybe better for the end of a big garden or an Allotment. :)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, nettles or comfrey will both make an excellent high-nitrogen liquid feed, but it absolutely reeks.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I'm not so much bothered about getting off-grid (though I find the idea appealing in many ways) but the more I self-rely the better - especially when it comes to not eating pesticide residues. :)

Yes, that's how I feel - not trying to 'opt out' just trying to save some money (in the long run) and have a bit of control on what I eat and where it comes from and how it's been treated. But also because it gives me a good feeling to know I've grown/made something for myself and seeing that whole process and the inner rewards it gives feels good.

So am I right in thinking that the Borrage fertiliser doesn't stink?

Durulz - I love the fact that now, with runners and the likes, I'll only end up with more and more strawberry plants and may never need to buy another strawberry once the yield goes up next year.
I'm probably going to get some other edibles going before it's too late in the year to plant them out. I'll be buying a few in already started but apart from that I'm looking forwards to the (monetarily) free food it'll bring too - saving money is great.
I'm right with you on the inner rewards thing. I made the planter from scratch, lined it, shovelled in 3 bags of compost (organic of course) and planted out the strawberries... if that wasn't rewarding enough I've been outside just looking at it with a big grin on my face I dunno how many times since the weekend and it's still not worn off. I'm loving it! :D
Even though I've seen things grow before, watching these berry plants sprout new leaves and new flowers is somehow gripping too. Great stuff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE