Looking for a bit of advice about home-grown strawberries.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
How do folks?
I'm posting this in Other Chatter as I wasn't sure if it'd fit in Lovely Grub, Flora and Fauna or elsewhere.
Probably best here as it's not exactly what you'd call bushcraft.

I've just planted out 6 strawberry plants (2 each of Early, Mid and Late - don't have the vartiety names to hand) which I had growing in small pots outside. I read a few things that suggested pinching off the first flowers that show on the plants to let them establish a bit more before putting energy into fruiting.

I've pinched off the flowers on the Mids and Lates, but am wondering if I should do it to the Early ones too.
I ask because they flowered a while ago and are now starting to swell like this...

Strawberry1.jpg

Strawberry2.jpg

Strawberry3.jpg

That is a new flower in the third shot, so I know it's still putting out new ones, I just don't want to pinch them off if these are likely the last I should expect to see.

If it helps, the biggest of the berries above (picture number 2) is slightly smaller than my thumbnail, so not as big as they appear in the pictures.

So, to pinch, or not to pinch?
That is the question.

If I do pinch them off, should I expect to see more flowers on there soon and so a bigger crop this year, or would I be writing off any crop from that variety this year now they have already started to fruit?

Thinking about it, how long should I pinch the flowers off for? Obviously I'll need to leave them alone sooner or later or I'll have a lot of leaves and nothing to eat by the time harvest comes around.

Cheers folks.

PS.
If anyone knows/uses a good, reasonably busy forum for this kind of thing, (self sufficiency, homesteading, smallholding and the likes) please do let me know. I'm gonna have plenty to ask on this front over the coming months and it's not exactly bushcraft material. Unless there's no objection to this kind of topic on here.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
BigShot, I don't know why you're growing these as you can easily get them from a shop....

Sorry, :) but you did suggest it.... :p A clever way to get people to look here though.. well done. I like strawberries, but never grew them. We have a few wild strawberry plants growing in the gardens here, which I prefer the taste of though.. I wonder how easy it is to get them to spread.. hmm food for thought. I really should start growing more, I've got plenty of space and I don't really use it for relaxing in.. too many noisy brats about. Harmless kids and likeable, but just too noisy.. :D

Haha.
I did wonder if anyone would actually do it.
Can't say I didn't expect it, but nice to see none the less (and no, I didn't make that post to get views/replies for this thread).
:p

I'd love to have some wild strawberries growing here. Maybe I'll have to hop over your fence and rob a couple of runners next time I'm up on the right side of the border.

I'd love a bit more space. Right now I'm limited to a few pots and the planter (5 feet by 1 foot) I made this weekend, and that's got the strawberries in it without leaving a huge amount of room for anything else.

When I've got a place to call my own I'll have half the garden up in a flash and grow just about everything I can manage.

Got some noisy kids out the back here too - but to be honest I quite like the sound of kids at play. It's a proper summery sound and in an urban area it just sounds kinda right. Nice to know they aren't all inside glued to their X-Boxes, Playstations and the brain-rot that passes for TV.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Hey Bigshot.

Gardening seems to be quite popular on here and I, for one, would be very interested.

I'd just leave the flowers on, you'll get berries by the end of may which isn't too early.

Cheers

Rob

Is there such a thing as too early? I wouldn't complain if the things gave me berries from under 6 feet of snow* (ok, there's only 6 feet of snow here in my wildest, most debauched dreams - but that's not the point). Haha.

I'm just wondering if taking these flowers off might give me a more vigorous plant with more flowers, and so more berries when harvest time comes along. Either way I'll be expecting some runners giving me new plants and a bumper crop to look forwards to next year. :D

* I really need to move back out to the Alps again I love it there, even if spring comes kinda late.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Ooo! What a well-timed thread.
We've just planted some strawberry plants!
We are lucky enough to have a huge garden, but it was in a dreadful state. Over a year ago now we bought a goat and that's done a sterling job at levelling the weeds and rubbish. The last bit had to be done by hand over the winter and new top soil laid. But now it's all done and we (me) are going to plant lots of fruit and veg.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I'm no gardener really, but from what I gather, you should pinch out the blossoms in their first year (although after that shouldn't make a difference??) They should then bush out over time, however I don't know how long that will be, be it one season or more. Certainly, if they are already fruiting I think you'll have to wait until next spring. I've done it with other faster growing plants and the results are certainly worthwhile, but that was done with much more expert advice than I can possible give.

EDIT:

Having done a quick google, there is mixed reception to pinching out. The idea of pinching out the blossoms is to let the plant put all it's energy into making new runners, so your patch spreads. However some people say that if the plants are well cared for and in a good position etc, this really makes little difference. Tips are to only keep your strawberries for 4 seasons, as by then they become more susceptible to disease etc. So do you really want to lose the fist years crop? I don't know what the right answer is here, I suspect many different growers do different things.. heh.. that didn't help really did it?

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
i've got 3 polytunnels full of strawberries and have been growing them since I was a kid.

I would never pinch the flowers out. You'll get a few berries in the first year then loads in year two, less in year 3 and after that you should rip them out. set up a new patch when your original plants are on year 3 to get a smooth succession.

Yea, the conflicting answers were the reason I asked on here. Google seems to be arguing with itself on this one.

Anyway, I've pretty much decided (and your comment about losing this year's crop helped) to leave the earlies as they are and stop pinching the other 2. That way I'll at least get some berries this time and get a slightly more vigorous plant in the process.

My main problem is I don't have anywhere that's in full sun. I could get more sun elsewhere but can't really put the planter in the middle of the lawn. As it stands I get sun from a short while after sunrise until an hour or two after midday. After that it's shaded by the house. I don't think that counts as "in a good position", but they'll certainly be well cared for. I'll be on slug-patrol nightly, will be netting them before the birds take an interest and will generally keep an eye on them.

I've seen a few sites saying 3 seasons too. I expect by then I'll have another good sized planter or some actual beds to grow them in so will be able to move them out and grow something else in here. That way I can get a bit of rotation going on.

My plan is to use this bed to start things off, and after that have a few plants grown from runners off this original six, then once it comes time to move I'll just need to relocate the younger plants and probably compost the older ones that are getting a bit past it.

EDIT:
Cheers Locum.
I'll take that advice as good. No more pinching for me.

Do the plants which grow from the runners count as a new plant or do they all get pulled out along with their parents?

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Give me a chance and i'll either find or pull together a tutorial on how to propagate strawbs from runners. its fairly easy.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I had really good luck, some years ago growing strawberries in among some widely spaced flagstones. At the end of each growing season I just went out and moved the flagstones, covering up the old plants and leaving the new plants from the runners wherever they were. It worked great and was very little work. It was a bed that was approximately 10 ft. X 20 ft.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
no point in pinching them now, they are obviously more established than you thought....you may not get the biggest crop but hey you'll get something.....

Also....come next year they will be putting out runners....you'll know them when you see them....peg them down to the soil or into a pot and they will root and fruit in the following years....thereby providing a sucession of fruit and fresh plants year on year.....

Strawbs being smallish plants and well suited to growing in containers can be grown just about anywere.....so you could fill a hanging basket and lifting it up may mean they catch more sun, or grow them on or up a sun soaked wall....the options are practically endless....I used to grow them in terraces of guttering on a sun facing wall....the only drawback is they take a little more looking after....requiring more attention to watering and possibly feeding...

On the subject of feeding......plant some borrage, but be carefull as it can be a bit invasive...the flowers are edible but nothing special, however if you take the leaves and soak them with just enough water, they will produce a "liqour" much like baby bio.....water it down to provide a top quality fertiliser for all you're fruit and veg.....tomatoes love it!

Hope that's helpfull

Smoggy.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
this is good. can we have a grow yer own sub forum?

That IS a good idea! Maybe a sub-forum off Flora and Fauna. I think it should be called 'The Good Life'.
This spring we have/are planting loads of veg. As well as strawberries we have tomatoes, spring onions, peas (always remember my grandparents had an allotment and the joy of pop open a pod of peas and the gorgeous taste of raw peas) and carrots. I also want rhubard because I LOVE rhubard. But I've been over-ruled.
Truth is, I am a complete novice at growing things. I'm hoping that water, sun and fertiliser (goat poo) will do the job and keep the fiddling to a minimum.

Durulz - I was talking about rhubarb a couple of days ago, I think I figured something out.
Loads of people dont like rhubarb - and I'm convinced it's because they've never had it fresh.

My primary school served it sometimes and it was never good.
My granny in Ireland had a patch next to the house and she made the best rhubarb tart on the face of the planet. The difference between good fresh rhubarb and the usual slop people are used to is immense.

Smoggy - I'm gonna have a crack at using some more corners and walls and the like to grow some more stuff. I'll be packing in as much as I can get away with.
Thanks for the tip on the borrage.
Any idea how much I'm likely to need for making a given amount of fertiliser? Also, how long does it keep before needing to make a new lot?

I'm all for the idea of a grow-your-own sub forum. One place for this kind of chat would be pretty good, I didn't expect it to get such a good response as it's a bit OT for bushcraft but a place for those of us who are living the good life to some degree to bounce ideas around might be pretty cool.

Know it shouldn't be too much hassle to set up a sub board, who do we need to bribe?
I can give a couple of lollypops to whoever needs persuading.

:p

Cheers for the link.
I'll have a browse later.

And "self sufficient-ish" as a word seems to sum up my glas quite well. I'm not so much bothered about getting off-grid (though I find the idea appealing in many ways) but the more I self-rely the better - especially when it comes to not eating pesticide residues. :)

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I like self sufficient-ish but found it wasn't really too informative, not in the way I thought it would be. I take my hat off to those guys for doing what they do though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE