Is Ray Mears Launching His Own Range Of Rucksacks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
Trakke sacks look really interesting.

I'm with the 'simple' brigade as well. I prefer the no molle, fixed side pockets style. I feel things can get too complicated. SMG is bombproof construction. Years ago I passed on a special offer at the local outdoor shop that was a one-off SMG and I have been kicking myself ever since.

My only concern is the one back size as I am a little 'vertically challenged' and long packs dig into the base of my back. High riding military packs really suit me - I love my Blackhawk.

The earlier comments about the RM shirt is right though - this is likely to be quality kit that will vanish if there are no takers...so then we will never know :rolleyes:.

...I also love the made in GB bit!!

kawasemi

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
I don't use the molle on my Lowe Alpine Sting as I find I can fit everything in the bag and detachable side pouches if I'm going out for multiple days. If I'm just out for the day or I'm hiking between hostels rather than bivvying I detach the side pockets and just use the 45 litre main compartment and the compression straps. I think detachable pouches make for a versatile pack, especially for someone who doesn't want to own loads of kit.

Oh look an ALICE pack, but with the pocketets moved to the sides where they'll be as in the way as possible.
I agree with those of you who pointed out that a 90l pack without compression straps is er less than well thought out
As to the price - I dont know how they can make them in the UK so cheaply, really, £165 think it through!
As to the pix - I thought it was very nice of Ray Mears to show there are no hard feelings by hiring Bear Gyrills younger bro as model for the shots:)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Much as I have enjoyed Rays TV series.

[I've always had a nagging doubt that there was something slightly dubious about having the taxpayer funded BBC promoting you, then personally profiting, by selling stuff through your own shop.]

Nice looking rucksack. Sure it will sell well.

An ALICE pack? What possible resembance does that have to an ALICE pack? Looks more like a Bergen.
usedmediumalicepack.jpg

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Much ado about nothing :rolleyes:...................the lid & front look like a chinese copy of a mini PLCE bergen & the joined shoulder straps look like they've been taken from a cheap daysack, a bit of padding doesn't constitute a back system in my book either.............I can see where the weight has been saved but not why it's £165............the design is just a hotpotch of existing packs, 1000D cordura is less than $3 & square meter & probably took a worker 5 minutes to sew & put together..............................oh hold on, it's got a RAY MEARS logo, that explains everything;)

Everyone can spend their money as they choose but I think there are better & more practical (not to mention cheaper) packs on the market but it probably isn't aimed at the more serious bushcraft/outdoor crowd who know better.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Yeah I know what an ALICE Looks like. That's the "medium." I have one of those and one of the "large." Been humping those for over 30 years. It looks absolutely nothing like the one RM's apparently about to sell.

His is shaped like a Bergen, heas a suspension system like a Bergen, Side pockets like a Bergen (though not removeable) Zippers like a Bergen (there ain't non on an ALICE) and apparently won't fit on an external frame (like an ALICE) And has no ALICE attachment points for aditional gear (like an ALICE)

Your blog looks interesting. I'll have to read more later. ATM I'm having trouble getting your videos to play properly though.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I'd secretly hoped that Woodlore would make something like this...

70dvFHc.jpg

...which I would add to my comprehensive collection of Woodlore leather and canvas goods.

But this one isn't for me, as others have said, it offers nothing new.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
A Duluth of some kind, pricey in the UK though.

Edited to add:

It is a Duluth Wanderer, the pic was posted by a Duluth user for a competition run by Duluth. These are very expensive packs to import from the US, if you can find one here at the right price go for it, otherwise look at Frost River or make one yourself. :)

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I'd secretly hoped that Woodlore would make something like this...

70dvFHc.jpg

...which I would add to my comprehensive collection of Woodlore leather and canvas goods.

But this one isn't for me, as others have said, it offers nothing new.

that would have been nice

or maybe a nessmuk pack...

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
The total capacity including pockets is 90 ltr the main compartment is 58 ltrs so its not to big to my mind, If the main compartment was 90ltr then it would be expedition size .
The capacity of this is similar to the duluth bushcraft pack main compartment

I think the price looks reasonable for what it is and its about the same size as my main go to pack for treks up to a week long

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The total capacity including pockets is 90 ltr the main compartment is 58 ltrs so its not to big to my mind, If the main compartment was 90ltr then it would be expedition size .
The capacity of this is similar to the duluth bushcraft pack main compartment

I think the price looks reasonable for what it is and its about the same size as my main go to pack for treks up to a week long

I would agree about the size of the main compartment but I remain wary of it purely because of the lack of a means to cinch things down when they get a bit baggy (and therefore more inclined to snag on branches, rocks etc.). I've found that, during a week, the contents of my pack diminishes as I eat my way through the food I'm toting around; I've always found it really, really useful to take up the created slack by tightening the compression straps and so holding the load closer to my back. This Leaf Cutter thing does not have that facility but I suppose that these straps could always be added... Now there's a thought!

So, do you reckon there's room for a compression strap - say, one below and one above the side pockets on each side or am I better off going for an Arizzon Wolverine 50 litre job with a pair of side pockets?

Last edited:

rg598

Native
I don't get it. Why take pack design back 30 years? A huge rectangular pack with non adjustable frame is not exactly what I expected from a newly released product at that price range. It is just missing too much from the looks of it.

From a personal standpoint, I hate rectangular packs as they interfere with my arm movement. As others have mentioned, there is no method of compressing the pack. Also, how do you attach a pair of snowshoes, or a rifle to the pack? The frame design also looks lacking. Similar, large packs have elaborate suspensions systems and adjustments. If I ever found enough gear to put in a 90L pack, they would be an important consideration for me.

That being said, it seems to resemble the type of packs he is usually hauling around in his shows. I suppose it's what he likes. Definitely not for me.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I"...Why take pack design back 30 years? A huge rectangular pack with non adjustable frame is not exactly what I expected from a newly released product at that price range. It is just missing too much from the looks of it..."

+1

If it isn't an 'old school' type pack, why not go for a more modern design? Especially for longer journeys.

I think a lot of folks like a wider and shorter pack if they are wandering through woodland, it won't catch on overhead branches if you are crouching to pass under them, but if you are on a longer trip, a tall modern pack with a decent back system is the way to go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE