Is Ray Mears Launching His Own Range Of Rucksacks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Looks good, I think it would sell better if the side pockets were removable!!

It would make it a bit more of an all round pack rather than a massive one!!

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I don't think it's quite what I expected....as said removable side pockets would have been better. Still anyone buying one? I'd love to see a review!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I don't think it's quite what I expected....as said removable side pockets would have been better. Still anyone buying one? I'd love to see a review!

Probably not buying one (More than I can affrd and really I have too many rucks already) But I rather like the idea that the pockets are pemanent. If build quality is good (stitching) they should be more durable than zipperones and lighter without the zippers. In any case the side pockets look in the pix to be "tunnel" pockets (you can fit longer item such as a machete between the pocket and the main ruck) But a shortcoming is there's nowhere to attach said machete's sheath to the ruck; no MOLLE or ALICE or similar above the pockets. And the rear pocket does NOT look to be tunnel.Also I don't see an opening in the body of the ruck to thread the tube from a hydration bladder out to the straps.

Mind this is all from the pix; I haven't had time to read the description yet.

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
A modern version of an old issued GS bergan, in my opinion pants. But hey ho put Rays name on it and charge a fortune, sounds about right.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Probably not buying one (More than I can affrd and really I have too many rucks already) But I rather like the idea that the pockets are pemanent. If build quality is good (stitching) they should be more durable than zipperones and lighter without the zippers. In any case the side pockets look in the pix to be "tunnel" pockets (you can fit longer item such as a machete between the pocket and the main ruck) But a shortcoming is there's nowhere to attach said machete's sheath to the ruck; no MOLLE or ALICE or similar above the pockets. And the rear pocket does NOT look to be tunnel.Also I don't see an opening in the body of the ruck to thread the tube from a hydration bladder out to the straps.

Mind this is all from the pix; I haven't had time to read the description yet.

I wondered too about a pocket for a hydration bladder, but it doesn't say anything in the description about it so I can only assume that it hasn't got one. I think that above anything is a massive foo bar!!

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
There was two types of bergans issued in the 80s/90s before the one with side pouches the SAS/para and then the GS bergan this is the one I think looks like Rays probably the same size

Last edited:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Lets face it how many times have you used the side pouches as a pack?
To keep weight down bin all the molle , extra zips and straps ,,, simples

Twodogs

Iv never done that and can't see a point in doing it either. Far easier to take a smaller pack.
But having removable side pouches just makes it a bit smaller so I could use the ruck sack for more than just multi day trips. But saying that, multi day trips is exactly what it's made for so my points really don't count lol!!

I must admit though its nice!!

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looks good, but the back system doesn't appear to be adjustable? Im sure its a quality pack non-the-less but a bit more than I'd be happy to pay.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Iv never done that and can't see a point in doing it either. Far easier to take a smaller pack....

Like I said, I've never had a ruck with detachable side pockets. But my CFP-90 does have a detachable daysack (patrol pack) that I've used quite often. It attaches over the lid of the main ruck. As you would imagine it's not the best of daysacks but it really isn't that bad either.

I have two such patrol packs. One is completely useable but the other, while useable as a daysack, cannot be attached to the main ruck because the fastex buckles are broken (although they could be easily replaced) The complete one gets used as intended while the other has become my "combat diaper bag" for tending my grandson when out and about.

I'm sure few people ever detach the side pockets and use them as advertised, but I'm equally sure most people like the idea. But as I originally said, and you and others have agreed, it's probably a weught saver to make them permanent. Time will tell if it's popular. TBH I expect eventually (if the line succeeds) it may well be offered with both options. permanent and detachable.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I'm guessing it would also be a weight saver to remove them!!

But it is what it is, and the more I look at it the more its growing on me lol!!!

I wonder if there is a plan for a smaller one?

Dec 16, 2007
Anybody want to buy a used once Sabre 75 :rolleyes:

Damn you I just got one from rays site and now your offering a cheap one. Bugger.:p

But saying that this new bergan does not look all that to me. Wish they would put more detailed pictures up of it so you can make a more informed choice to buy it. Just looking at those I wouldn't part with my hard earned $ even if it does have rays name on it. Ill stick to my Karrimors thank you.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I'm not so bothered about the lack of removable side pockets but I do have major concerns about the lack of any form of compression straps. If you loaded this thing up partially (i.e. for two or three days rather than a full week...), it'd be like slinging a partially filled bin liner over your shoulder. As has also been pointed out, I am a little worried about the fixed length back system. Does Mr Mears reckon we are all the same size? It is a nice idea, appears to be well-made and good and light but, for money and a tiny bit of extra weight, I would definitely want compression straps.

woodsrunner

Forager
May 13, 2013
Montana USA
nice lookin pack...sounds like it is of solid construction.
if they come out with a smaller version reckon i'd get one...but ninety liters is a bit much for this ol woodsrunner.

so if any one wants to get rid of thier sabre45 to help finance the purchase of a leafcutter...lets talk!...woods

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE