Is Ray Mears Launching His Own Range Of Rucksacks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I'm curious to see it, but the days of me carrying a ninety litre pack are behind me, hopefully they will bring out a smaller version. :)

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Dosnt sound like my cup of tea from the specs, I'd hoped for something more traditional and smaller, but I'm confident it will be a success as most of his gear is top notch

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I susoect from the use of the word first in the blurb there will be others to follow. ......

Not necessarily, I have a couple of his 'Woodsman' shirts that were to be the first of range of clothing items, however most folks baulked at the idea of a £100 shirt and the rest of the range never surfaced.

Like viszla I would have been more likely to buy something smaller and more 'traditional'. Something similar to a Frost River design perhaps.

The blurb on his site describes the pack as being "developed from a custom jungle rucksack, made for Ray by Scottish Mountain Gear many years ago"

This is possibly that jungle pack...

yUDS2YA.png

Image taken from Ray's book 'Bushcraft'.

Last edited:

rg598

Native
I think the price is reasonable if the pack is competitive with others currently on the market. For a 90L pack, 1.8kg is a very good weight, although I have no idea under what circumstances I would need a 90L pack. It's been a long time since I carried something that large. The only catch that I can see will be the frame design. It appears that that is the place where weight has been cut. I'll be interested to see the suspension system. Without a good frame, a 90L pack is a non starter for me.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
A lot of people assume that just because Woodlore sells something it will be expensive, when in my experience that isn't the case.

I have bought a number of things from them after comparing prices from other suppliers and always found them to be fairly priced and sometimes cheaper.

It sounds like some of you more experienced pack carriers agree with this item too. Mind you, there is no way I could contemplate hauling a 90-litre pack fully loaded!

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
This will be an interesting one to follow. Thanks for posting it up.

I'm moat interested in seeing the suspension system for this bag. That's going be be the deal maker.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
missed a trick not going with a traditional external frame pack in my opinion

apart from the logo which would sell a house brick to some I think the markets saturated enough...

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Stringmaker said:
A lot of people assume that just because Woodlore sells something it will be expensive, when in my experience that isn't the case.

I have bought a number of things from them after comparing prices from other suppliers and always found them to be fairly priced and sometimes cheaper.

I agree. They just happen to stock some very spendy brands. Where you can compare prices, they're competitive.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
the brand stuff is competative but the woodlore branded stuff I find less so

there is definately a premium paid for the badge - nothing wrong with that of course just an observation

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Reading through the details, it mentions external pockets but no compression straps or wand pockets that can be so useful for toting an axe on the outside of your pack. The price seems pretty fair; the weight is very good. I suppose he is suggesting that any shortfall in the lightweight internal frame can be made up with a couple of Sam splints. I'd be a little concerned if there is no chance to cinch down the pack. Still, we can only wait and watch...

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK

It sounds like some of you more experienced pack carriers agree with this item too. Mind you, there is no way I could contemplate hauling a 90-litre pack fully loaded!

I think it's that woodlore stock some expensive kit generally... I find them competetive. Their recent "2 moras for £20" offer for example was hard to beat. If you want a Swazi or top end kit, you pay top end prices wherever you shop.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I think it's that woodlore stock some expensive kit generally... I find them competetive. Their recent "2 moras for £20" offer for example was hard to beat. If you want a Swazi or top end kit, you pay top end prices wherever you shop.

Yes I think that is probably it, but there is still the assumption that anything with Ray's name on it will be expensive.

I remember when I first got into bushy stuff seriously and I bought a Clipper from them. All the people I showed it to were amazed when I told them it was a tenner.

By the way, how's that butter knife I sent you doing?

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
When and where Mp. Mears went into long expedition? not TV shows.
90 liter size expedition backpack, without a good suspension system is just a big bag with pockets.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE