I hate magpies!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Actually it is.
No, because you cannot take it upon yourself to be the magpie vigilante for the county. Magpies in a garden may predate, may, outside the garden boundaries and I would like to see you make a case that shooting a magpie was for the general welfare of birds not those nesting in your garden.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
No, because you cannot take it upon yourself to be the magpie vigilante for the county. Magpies in a garden may predate, may, outside the garden boundaries and I would like to see you make a case that shooting a magpie was for the general welfare of birds not those nesting in your garden.

Actually, within the letter of the law, you can. As the defence of the former would obviously lead to the defence of the latter.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Never shot a magpie in my life. Just confirming that it is a firm defence and within the law to shoot magpies on private property given the permission of the landowner.

Still need a good reason to do so, annoyance and hate are not enough.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Just a random........anyone else heard the tale of the fabled Noah's Ark? Allegedly if such a person existed and had such a ship.....the magpie was the bird that never went onboard......so how did they survive the foty days n neets?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I especially like the way that Noah bagged some kangaroos in Australia, then trekked all the way to the North Pole to get a polar bear and then bring it back.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It was a flood. Plenty of other stuff floating. And they can fly. Although, if indeed such a ship existed and the animals went in two by two. The genetic diversification would have seen all species unsustainable in the future.

Actually a much bigger boat than most think ... only the "unclean" animals went in 2 x 2 the others went in in small flocks.... if ya gunna get Biblical... read the book first :)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Theres an interesting philosophical debate right there... Are we not part of nature?

Interesting indeed...............Some people are & others ain't......we in the western world, ain't. We have cut ourselves off from nature so can't really be called part of it. ......If crops fail due to the vagaries of the weather, we have sufficient stocks of (or import) food to see us through so no one will starve, if nature throws a disease our way we'll treat it with medicine, we live in houses so are protected from the elements, nature no longer controls our population growth & babies or the elderly that would otherwise die in natural circumstances, live, .......................................a species that is no longer regulated by nature, that lives apart from it, protected in artificially created enviroments, can't really be called 'part of nature'......that doesn't mean though at some point or another in the future, mankind won't be at the mercy of nature, You can only remove so many bricks before your house comes tumbling down on top of you.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
.a species that is no longer regulated by nature, that lives apart in artificially created enviroments, can't really be called 'part of nature'.

To a termite that only knows a few 100 sq metres around it's mound it has articially created it's own environment and is manipulating it's resources. It's just a matter of scale. The planet is our mound and we are but termites upon it. Nature is bigger than that. Nature isn't restricted by time. Blink, and you'll miss us.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'd say we all are.....and what we do is just using the abilities nature gave us to do it with in the first place. Sure we have made mistakes, but that doesnt mean we will continue to make them. We are a species capable of learning a huge amount of things. We make mistakes, we learn from them, we adjust and continue. Its only the last 100 years where things have gone a bit wrong, but whats 100 years in the scheme of things? Nothing. We as a species are still in our infancy, in the scheme of things. Responsibility to the environment is yet to be learned, but if you look around, you will see it starting to happen.

Interesting indeed...............Some people are & others ain't......we in the western world, ain't. We have cut ourselves off from nature so can't really be called part of it. ......If crops fail due to the vagaries of the weather, we have sufficient stocks of (or import) food to see us through so no one will starve, if nature throws a disease our way we'll treat it with medicine, we live in houses so are protected from the elements, nature no longer controls our population growth & babies or the elderly that would otherwise die in natural circumstances, live, .......................................a species that is no longer regulated by nature, that lives apart from it, protected in artificially created enviroments, can't really be called 'part of nature'......that doesn't mean though at some point or another in the future, mankind won't be at the mercy of nature, You can only remove so many bricks before your house comes tumbling down on top of you.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Sure we have made mistakes, but that doesnt mean we will continue to make them. We are a species capable of learning a huge amount of things. We make mistakes, we learn from them, we adjust and continue.

If we learnt from our mistakes then we wouldn't even be discussing this.............unfortunately, evidence proves that not only are we continuing to make our previous errors but we also inventing new ones on a regular basis.;)

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
If we learnt from our mistakes then we wouldn't even be discussing this.............unfortunately, evidence proves that not only are we continuing to make our previous errors but we also inventing new ones on a regular basis.;)

You could argue that's because we're more part of nature than we think - we will behave as nature intended. We will breed and exploit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE