I hate magpies!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I just don't like seeing magpies and nothing else in a 10 mile radius!!! Cant be a natural balance??

Natural balances are what you get when humans don't interfere. If you're looking for natural balance, prehaps Birmingham isn't the best place to look :D If there are only magpies & nothing else as you say, which I doubt, then there won't be anything for them to eat so they will either move elsewhere or die. Your problem is solved, well part of it at least. I trust they do have shrinks in Brummie. :rofl:

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
You could argue that's because we're more part of nature than we think - we will behave as nature intended. We will breed and exploit.

There is iron in your words & I tend to agree but that would mean we are just unthinking entities, blindly following our destiny & incapable of changing.
Thinking about it, it's probably true, we all know that the continual rate of exploitation of the earths 'ressorces' & the refusal to control our numbers will ultimately lead to our downful, yet we are unable or even unwilling to change course. There must be a reason why evolution made us so short sighted.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
we are still learning from them, so, yes, we would. :)

If we learnt from our mistakes then we wouldn't even be discussing this.............unfortunately, evidence proves that not only are we continuing to make our previous errors but we also inventing new ones on a regular basis.;)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I'm sure the rich & powerful will be quaking in their boots....................I wonder how many of the revolutionaries will popping into McDonalds on the way home. :D

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I live by the rule if I kill it I eat it no exception !

Oh - I really shouldn't........but I will!

Can I have your recipe for mouse stew please? I'll accept rat as an alternative. Do you saute fleas, ticks, flies etc, or scatter them on like sprinkles? I'm at a bit of a loss as to how you manage to recover the bodies of all the viruses and other assorted nasties you kill with toilet cleaner, oral antibiotics etc, but I'd sure appreciate being told!

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
.....I wonder how many of the revolutionaries will popping into McDonalds on the way home. :D

People are funny beasts, reminds me of my Dad telling me of a cousin of his who was in the Blackshirts pre-war but used to pop into their local Labour Party office for his tea.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
Oh - I really shouldn't........but I will!

Can I have your recipe for mouse stew please? I'll accept rat as an alternative. Do you saute fleas, ticks, flies etc, or scatter them on like sprinkles? I'm at a bit of a loss as to how you manage to recover the bodies of all the viruses and other assorted nasties you kill with toilet cleaner, oral antibiotics etc, but I'd sure appreciate being told!

This sentiment would be understood by anyone with a respect for there surroundings don't get me wrong I hunt and fish but never with the intent to waste life if you don't have the intelligence to understand that in history the killing of animals which don't sit right within our wanted environment does not end well then please pick up a book and educate yourself try starting with a small critter called the buffalo and then make the same comment and at that point I can do away with politeness and just put your comments down to ignorance :soapbox:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
This sentiment would be understood by anyone with a respect for there surroundings don't get me wrong I hunt and fish but never with the intent to waste life if you don't have the intelligence to understand that in history the killing of animals which don't sit right within our wanted environment does not end well then please pick up a book and educate yourself try starting with a small critter called the buffalo and then make the same comment and at that point I can do away with politeness and just put your comments down to ignorance :soapbox:

...then you really shouldn't say "I live by the rule if I kill it I eat it no exception !"

What you clearly meant to say was "If I kill a fluffy bunny, i eat it". You clearly have no respect for "lesser" living things, slaughtering them willy-nilly!

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
...then you really shouldn't say "I live by the rule if I kill it I eat it no exception !"

What you clearly meant to say was "If I kill a fluffy bunny, i eat it". You clearly have no respect for "lesser" living things, slaughtering them willy-nilly!

Ignorance it was then :twak:

We used to have an organised corvid control day on one of the bits of ground we shot pheasants over to allow the nesting birds a chance not to have their nest raided. There was another in an area where wading birds nests were being raided to the point of total destruction.

Craft old toerags the Crows and Magpies but we always shot quite a few!

ahh, shoot wild birds so that you can artificially rear birds so that you can shoot them... Don't you just love the irony?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
True - ignorance it was. You shouldn't make a definitive statement when you really meant a relative one instead.

No worries - english lessons are free:)

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
Whenever I try to contribute to this forum I keep in mind that it is In fact an open forum and us full members represent something that we feel strongly about basically we are promoting bushcraft within the uk please keep this in mind when portraying us collectively as immature with limited education it only takes one comment to show us up ,there are also a lot of younger members who actively take part in this forum as a way to learn from us who can teach them

So please just take time before engaging your comments

Ohh I want to be a MOD when I grow up :)

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
using your own personal experience and not other people's facts, figures or quotations.... Prove it.
Prove a Bronze Age story is just that? What a strange request. To do so would mean trespassing into religion and questions about the non-falsibility of God theories and I suspect the Mods would object. Just think of the logistics and how weird to save animals that have since become extinct and, as was pointed out how difficult to load beasts from other continents. Incidentally who were the two sorts of people when one bit of the Bible said that there wereonly one, "the Sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair." Genesis 6.2. The whole compendium falls apart under its own internal contradictions.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE