I hate magpies!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Prove a Bronze Age story is just that? What a strange request. To do so would mean trespassing into religion and questions about the non-falsibility of God theories and I suspect the Mods would object. Just think of the logistics and how weird to save animals that have since become extinct and, as was pointed out how difficult to load beasts from other continents. Incidentally who were the two sorts of people when one bit of the Bible said that there wereonly one, "the Sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair." Genesis 6.2. The whole compendium falls apart under its own internal contradictions.

.....Pangaea....

as I said in another post, I love the irony of explanation.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I'll see your Pangea with Gondwanaland and raise you Doggerland, so what? Quoting earlier epochs isn't going to establish as a fact the faery story of Noah, no more than it would the story of Gilgamesh. Heard of Gilgamesh? Disprove it.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I always believed that that the Bible was just a collection of parables & analogies created by the literate few to control the illiterate masses, .............didn't realise that the stories within were actually true.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I'll see your Pangea with Gondwanaland and raise you Doggerland, so what? Quoting earlier epochs isn't going to establish as a fact the faery story of Noah, no more than it would the story of Gilgamesh. Heard of Gilgamesh? Disprove it.

A dislike of Magpies leads to Gilgamesh. Some sort of alternative Godwin's law may be at work here.

The story of Noah predates the 'modern' bible as he pops up in the Epic of Gilgamesh, he isn't called Noah but he is identified as 'favoured by the gods' and a chap who saved a lot of animals from a great flood. I wouldn't be surprised that if we could tunnel back far enough we'd find a weather wise farmer who managed to save most of his livestock from a particularly heavy river flood and with time the tale grew in the telling until we have an entire planet being inundated and every animal being loaded on to the two arks.

KO7hm2t.jpg

Edited to add:

There is a belief that the Magpie refused to be loaded onto the ark and instead sat on the roof watching the world end and that this is the reason they are associated with bad luck.

:)

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Whenever I try to contribute to this forum I keep in mind that it is In fact an open forum and us full members represent something that we feel strongly about basically we are promoting bushcraft within the uk please keep this in mind when portraying us collectively as immature with limited education it only takes one comment to show us up ,there are also a lot of younger members who actively take part in this forum as a way to learn from us who can teach them

So please just take time before engaging your comments

Ohh I want to be a MOD when I grow up :)

I agree. The young should be taught the importance of grammar and the risks of being misinterpreted by false definitive statements:)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Ah - but imagine if someone used a double negative when talking bout his love of magpies! He would give a totally false impression about his passion for this particular avian species:)

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
Ah - but imagine if someone used a double negative when talking bout his love of magpies! He would give a totally false impression about his passion for this particular avian species:)

Knowing I have failings I do not pick people up on there's I do not profess to be an intelligent person and was unaware of the thread had any bearing on my personal grammar abilities but in the spirt of good faith I've found something I feel you might enjoy

www.englishclub.com › Board index › Learn English Forums

Now you can chat grammar until your hearts content and let me enjoy the bushcraft :sadwavey:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
....actually, that should be "theirs", but we'll let it pass for now:)

Interesting site you picked out - might be worth you looking into it a bit more - after all, communication is the window to the soul (or it could be eyes.....)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
....actually, that should be "theirs", but we'll let it pass for now:)

Interesting site you picked out - might be worth you looking into it a bit more - after all, communication is the window to the soul (or it could be eyes.....)

You missed out a question mark after "eyes" :D

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I work closely with RSBP and other ornithological bods. General consensus is that the magpie population is out of control. Closely followed by gulls.

Nature works in balance. We unbalanced it. It no longer works.

Is that true? I was under the impression that the BTO had done detailed research that found that magpie populations have remained pretty stable since the 1970s and that they found no significant link between magpie population numbers and songbird decline.

I thought Gull populations were in massive decline in the UK too? Maybe local increases due to forced habitat changes but overall they're looking to be in trouble.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
I doubt there's a single culprit for the decline in songbird numbers.

The RSPB obsession with breeding, releasing and protecting raptors; corvids and the lack of control thereof; the increasing preference for pet cats rather than dogs; grey squirrels; pesticides removing insects the birds once fed on; habitat loss: all and more no doubt play their part.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Is that true? I was under the impression that the BTO had done detailed research that found that magpie populations have remained pretty stable since the 1970s and that they found no significant link between magpie population numbers and songbird decline.

I thought Gull populations were in massive decline in the UK too? Maybe local increases due to forced habitat changes but overall they're looking to be in trouble.

In scientific terms, that means that magpie populations are not threatened and that they have not found any significant link between magpie population numbers and songbird decline.

The evidence in that BTO statement is clear, that they have found evidence of a link, bit not a significant one when compared with all the other factors like habitat loss, feral cats etc etc. The wording they use in these surveys is much like the patter estate agents use when describing crappy houses.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE