I hate magpies!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Right now they are devouring every fatball, seedblock and wireworm feeder that is hung up for the birds, and they are driving away every other bird but the woodpeckers.
To my delight a Kestrel scattered the blighters this morning.

They herried every wee bird's nest they could find; three times I saw them with the blackie's eggs and the blackies frantic, "chink, chink, chink", echoes daily in the garden and the woodland.
Too many of the magpies :( They need redd out.

I know feeding the birds causes an imbalance, but that does rather mean that it's up to us to help ameliorate the imbalance.

M

Jun 7, 2013
Northwest
Magpies are extremely intelligent creatures that know how to use tools and show grief when their partners die.
Egg eating (a small part of their diet) will impact on population of other birds down but no more than nests being ravaged by rodents and small mammals.

Anyway i quite like them and their are loads around where I live.

In my opinion Kill it if your going to eat it..
:)

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Technically you can shoot them in certain circumstances but there are laws controlling the purposes you have for killing them. Not liking them is not on the list.

The BTO have also conducted studies to see what their real impact on songbirds populations are and haven't found a proven link between increased magpies and songbird decline so you're on shakey ground killing them to protect other birds too. Have a look at the link below.

http://www.discoverwildlife.com/british-wildlife/debunking-myths-about-magpies

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Shot two this morning!!! They were going through the bird nests in my conifers - they managed to kill and eat two great tit chicks before I got my gun!!!!!! Vermin!!!!!!

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Shot two this morning!!! They were going through the bird nests in my conifers - they managed to kill and eat two great tit chicks before I got my gun!!!!!! Vermin!!!!!!

What makes great tits any better than magpies and who are you to judge??

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
My father in law had problems with them eating the silicon form around the double glazing on their house!
Actually became a major problem and had to call in the council.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I like magpies, they are smart birds, but something (other than us) that used to kill them isn't around in the required numbers and we have altered the landscape with city, suburbia and farmland and made an environment where they can thrive.

I like them, but I like Redstarts and great tits too, so every now and then some of them have to go.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
According to the recent lectures I received on how good and useful it was to destroy buzzard nests it must obviously be right to kill magpies without the evidence that they harm songbirds. It is after all true bushcraft to kill things that annoy you.

We like seeing the constant skirmishing between troupes of jackdaws and magpies around our garden. The songbirds manage to scoff at the bird table as well, thanks. Magpies are very bright and it was an education watching them learn to dunk hard stale bread in one of our water features in order to soften the bread, learning from each other and I think the jackdaws picked up the trick from them as well.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
What makes great tits any better than magpies and who are you to judge??

Nothing, but having seen magpies, rooks and crows take young lambs eyes whilst they are alive; it would seem that great tits are slightly less harmful.

I will kill corvids at any opportunity I can. Who is anyone to judge me at what I am lawfully able to do in accordance with the general licence?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...watching them learn to dunk hard stale bread in one of our water features in order to soften the bread..."

I can better that, dunking bread into the water at the edge of a pond, and waiting, and waiting and then catching the small fish that came to feed on it. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE