How many people hold a CRB?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Do you hold a CRB certificate?

• Total voters

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:rolleyes: :)
I've worked with over 900 kids this week and only maybe three were ones I felt needed a bit more discipline. Children are just that, children, and they need *real*adult input and interaction in their lives, it can't all be left to the telly and the computer.

I've no idea how effective all these forms are, but if it makes folks think about who is allowed unsupervised association with children, fair enough.

cheers,
Toddy, a most unsoppy female who freely admits she likes people, even little ones :cool:

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Is this just me or should this thread not be in 'Other Chatter' ? Surely this is nor related to Meet-ups or social.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Swyn.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, you are right, but the idea behind this particular thread was to create some sort of idea of the proportions of members who carry the appropriate certification so that it could, potentially, be used in convincing a youth centre to allow access for a meet up. Thus this forum.
I think it might be better to shift it a little later, as the thread draws to a close.

cheers,
Toddy

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Fair enough.

I don't hold one. This sort of thing was not required when I was lucky enough to be involved with the OYC fifteen + years ago!

Good luck with your access though.
I will echo your sentiments on the relevance of the process. It all seems a little chaotic with the left hand not knowing what the right is doing.

Regards,
Swyn.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:rolleyes: :)
I've worked with over 900 kids this week and only maybe three were ones I felt needed a bit more discipline. Children are just that, children, and they need *real*adult input and interaction in their lives, it can't all be left to the telly and the computer.

I've no idea how effective all these forms are, but if it makes folks think about who is allowed unsupervised association with children, fair enough.

cheers,
Toddy, a most unsoppy female who freely admits she likes people, even little ones :cool:
And more power to you!

I have a lovely polite, respectful daughter (although she's not a child any more), and infrequently I meet other children who are well behaved and polite (Jon Picket's son should be held up as a shining example of good parenting). As a rule though, I'd vastly prefer to have nothing to do with "the kids of today" ;). Strange though how, when you say that to people (not people here I might add) its often seen to be the equivalent to admitting a prediliction for human flesh.

I have great admiration for those who work wih kids. Personally though, I wonder if Lord Shaftsbury had the right idea - have you sen the cost of a chimney sweep these days?

Red

Shamisen

Jul 18, 2004
S.Wales
Hi,

I've got one to work with adults with learning difficulties and the elderly.
Haven't been on here in ages, and the place has grown massive since.
Which is great.

Cheers
Shamisen

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I have got one of them too. It took about 3 months :eek: to get the darn thing sorted when I first started my current job. I was right p****d off with the whole joke.

Mind you, I think with the lot I work with, I am more likely to be the one who needs protection ;) rather than ther other way round. I think they should all have one done on them, to protect me :D

Podcast Bob

Jezz I find the whole subject infuriating, sorry, but where does this argument end?

On a campsite split into CRB approved and non-approved? How much distance needs to be between them? If there's 2 campsites next to each other (One CRB approved and the other not) and only a barbed wire fence between, should there be an established 100m 'no mans land' between them and all passing walkers supervised until they get beyond the exclusion zone? What IS the safe distance from a public road to a CRB approved area anyway? Are security guards optional or a minimum of 2 every 100m? Have they been trained in 'humane restraining techniques' so that violent children hungry for a Big Mac fix are held down but not injured?

What about all the flippin' kids with criminal records? (The one's who really need the benefits of outdoor experience) Should they be checked first to know if they are safe with fires, hot water, knives, pointy bits of wood and sharp edges from cut cans? That information is told to who, as obviously it is in breach of the human rights act and data protection act? Does someone need an extra certificate to allow them to know that information, perhaps signs a 'non-disclosure' document first?

I am just so glad, that none of this was around when I brought my kids up. I photographed them (gosh with other kids!!) and videoed school plays, sporting activities in and out of public buildings. All at a time when we were expected to be responsible for our own actions and the actions of our children. Now it's ALWAYS someone else's fault, because they didn't have paperwork, certificates or some other goverment issued ID. As a result kids are not growing up into responsible adults, resulting in a irresponsible society.

Sorry that turned into a rant, but I feel better now. It is all our fault this is happenening, as we have sat back and done nothing to object to the wealth of paperwork and legislation which has crept into our lives, and is now governing virtually every aspect of it, like a restraining order. It's no wonder I would rather be in the woods or on the hills (but a safe distance for any passing DofE party of course) just ridiculous.....

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Applied for an enhanced disclosure for teaching in GB over the summer and never heard much about it after that. The company was more than a little disorganised though.
My employers have also done something similar for me here - it takes less than an hour!

Sep 27, 2007
essex
Yes, I have to be as I often work with children. Having said that, health and safety has become so tight in recent times that i'm unsure of how long I will be able to teach them for! Can't do this can't do that :(

Greenman

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Have I missed somthing or isn't it irrelevant if we all have assorted CRB checks? If I need a different one for each school I work with surely I'd need a different one to use a site for anything other than activities with one of the schools?

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I totally agree with the idea behind CRBs but disagree with the way they're implemented. I currently have had 5 checks completed within the last few years, 1 for Uni, 1 for County, 1 for school I work at, 1 for the school that I do DoE at and 1 for the Scouts, I find the need to keep filling in forms whenever I help or work at another organisation infuriating.

Matt

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I had an enhanced CRB for the last proper job I had. Personally I think they are over rated as a way of protecting children. I think of two cases i know where the system would work wrong.

I have also have a long term friend who travels the planet teaching diving etc. While in a hire car in Florida he was asked by what appeared to be 3 fun young ladies to buy some beer for them as the store owner didn't believe their age. While my friend bought the beer, the 3 sit in back of the car and start smoking a very smellly substance. Some way down the road the local police stop the smoky hire car. My friend ends up with a charge sheet not disimmerlar to micheal jackson. And no the 'but they looked old enough to officer' is no defense in florida. He pleaded guilty to get deported rather than face months in florida state penn. Now foriegn offenses are looked at I don't think my friend would pass.

Some years ago we used to do live action roleplay with an individual, who displayed very poor behaviour towards children around them. The police had 'thick file' but insuffienct evidance to proceed, and social services had 'made observations'. But securing convictions in child abuse is nearly impossible. This individual shattered my faith in humanity and the justice system but has no convictions for it.

What i am getting at CRB doesn't protect children, talking to them does. A child that can tell is a protected child.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
What a farce the CRB system is!

I am employed as a teacher and in the last 7 years have had 4 enhanced CRB checks done (teacher training, and three teaching posts). Prior to this I was an ACF instructor and had one for that as well.

I have just completed a Community First Responder training course and need another check before I can become active in this role - fair enough I hear you say? And I would agree.

However, I have just got involved with my local Scouts (son is a Beaver & I got roped in - "Just an odd hour or so"!) and need another enhanced CRB.

Both applications are being done this week but neither organisation will accept the others disclosure! Red tape gone mad!:banghead:

I thought the whole idea of CRB was the document was transferable and valid for 3 years?

Any way - Its not my money paying for the disclosures so rant over!

Simon

What i am getting at CRB doesn't protect children, talking to them does. A child that can tell is a protected child.

nope and its not designed to

its to cover the backs of organisations like most of HSE regs to stop or reduce the damages when sued etc

luckly i didnt need one whne i was a ACF instructor though they did their own checks etc
and havent needed one as a PADI Dive instructor

are they compulsory or only if the organisation requires them ??? (which is how i read the advice on the PADI instructor site)
ie do all people in any org who work with kids have to by law have them
or is it down the ot oranisation to decide if they want to use the CRB faciltiy
ATB

Duncan

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
I've had one for coaching Cornish Wrestling and I currently work at a School as an IT Technician so another for that too. I dont know if it's basic or enhanced, but im guessing working at a school it's enhanced. When I applied for this job at the school a year ago I declared I was recently CRB checked and provided the certificate however the council had to re-do the check, I was told its done again for every organization etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE