How Many Open Canoe Paddlers On Here?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
That kind of depends on what you mean by serious. I've accompanied folk who I'd describe as serious paddlers and know I've still got a lot to learn.
Am at a level that probaby a lot of others get to as well after a few years of paddling - happy to about low force 4 on sea lochs and mid g3 on rivers. Will usually run 3+ stretches but sometimes it's a gung-ho attitude that gets me down rather than competence at that grade.
Enjoy poling. :) Have poled fairly sustained g2 on a few occasions and will sometimes stay standing on the way back down(but just for giggles and if I'm in an empty boat, am nowhere near as in control as I would be kneeling so don't tend to do it on camping trips).
Reach for the pole quite often on coastal and loch trips too, along sandy beach stretches to make progress into headwinds or when the tide's out and I'm over a sandbank on a calm day. (Heaven. :) )

Love canoes and know I likely always will. When I keel over I hope there's a canoe and a bike in my will.

...but if by serious you mean getting off on insinuating that folk in other types of boats are either ignorant or incompetent. No - not so much.

By "serious" I mean simply; people who either paddle open canoes as that's what they own and have no interest in other craft or paddle open canoes as their first choice, in spite of owning or indeed paddling other craft, say at a club or whatever.

As for incompetence and ignorance; I see plenty of open boaters who tick those boxes, myself included, at least when I first started but very few kayakers, who usually seem both confident and well skilled in their boats.;)

Jul 6, 2014
West Midlands UK
Not quite sure how to classify myself but I love both kayaks and my Horizon 15 also. I love touring and especially paddling on lakes and canoe camping. I returned to paddling after a very long time away just over 9 years ago and paddling naturally led on to an interest in camping, first aid and bushcraft. I paddle both on club trips and also on peer trips with friends too. Think it's a great sport as it's so inclusive and have met so many amazing people though what was initially just a few weeks at a local centre that turned into a lifestyle.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
BCU Level 3 coach in Kayaks ( hated it....only ever did it for work) and Level 4 coach in Open Boats (loved it, love it, will always love it....and yes have my own, a 13'6" playboat).

Cheers,

Bam. :)

Great forum guys. I have two canoes. Use them all time when out hunting except in winter when the rivers freeze up!!, then its back to snowmobile or dog teams.

Grandfather could make birchbark canoes, dad made the odd wood/canvas. Me? Plastic canoes are best!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE