How Many Open Canoe Paddlers On Here?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've always loved the idea of a canoe, but always thought you had to kneel in it to paddle. This put me off as i am extremely (dysfunctionally to an extent) inflexible and find it difficult kneeling for any amount of time. But from some of the pics comments here it would appear you can have seats....?

I tend to chop and change, according to the conditions and how numb my feet and legs get! I prefer to kneel, heeled over in similar fashion to Rich (Shewie) This is my favourite position in my favourite boat: Nova Craft SP3,(though sadly,not mine) kneeling in front of the carrying thwart and actually paddling backwards! (makes no difference as the boat is symmetrical)

The increase, in both speed and maneuverability of the boat, is quite significant when heeled over like this.

This is me in my Mad River, Reflection 15 last Sunday, paddling Ullswater with Shewie (who took the picture;))

I'd moved to the stern seat, after kneeling for an hour or so. I always carry a decent sized drybag/holdall with my spare kit etc in it and this makes an excellent weight for trimming the boat to suit my paddling position and changing weather condition's.

You can also paddle standing up if you need or want to!
[video=youtube;jTx9Yjh4fTg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTx9Yjh4fTg[/video]
Handy for taking a look at the water ahead of you on a river, or for poling shallow water or in my case, usually just to stretch my legs and un-knot my lower back! This was Ullswater a few years ago now, in my Red SP3, the best boat I've ever paddled but far too heavy for me to manage to car top etc on my own. I really love the SP3, it really is the best polythene boat you can buy in my opinion, a brilliant all rounder, excellent quality and just about bomb proof!;)

The idea of a dedicated open boat meet, sometime next year is something that I might well be interested in myself. It would depend on when and where for me.

Cheers

Steve

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I miss the canoe. Had to cut the fleet down to one and there's no way I was selling the wee sailing canoe so first the SP3 then the Pack went to pastures new. :sadwavey:

Forever hopping in other folk's to get quick fixes...
...and I keep making canoe paddles even though I don't have a canoe. There's a not so subtle hint from the ol' subconcious there I reckon.
dry_zpsd177828d.gif

Kinda know what the next one will be. Something of the 14'ish solo variety - a Yellowstone Solo, Wenonah Argosy or thon one of Gill's that I can never remember the name of(there's a pic on page one).

What I really miss is river paddling. The mix of tranquility and adrenaline that comes over the course of the trip.
Was just getting the hang of it when the Pack started showing that it didn't appreciate the abuse. Tried it in the SP3 but was too used to a smaller, lighter boat by then. Don't take Ya Beauty anywhere near the frothy stuff...
...bah!

Dochart2.jpg

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
ohhhh all the eyecandy.....

Anyone have any idea how I might be able to identify my aluminium one?
It's a few posts back; page 1 I believe. :rolleyes:

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
Here's my kevlar Summersong, bought from BarnOwl (on here) a few years back. This canoe is fast, but turns about as fast as an oil tanker. Zero rocker, 24" wide and about as efficient a paddle as you'll get. My other boat is a Discovery 158, so I have boats from both ends of the spectrum.

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
I realize I'd prob be best off visiting a club to try some, but what sort of boats (with seats) would people recommend for a beginner? Also what kit would I need other than said boat.....?

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
I realize I'd prob be best off visiting a club to try some, but what sort of boats (with seats) would people recommend for a beginner? Also what kit would I need other than said boat.....?

A club is definitely the best bet. But for general tips I would say the following.

Plastic boats are cheap, tough but heavy. Royalex is lighter but twice the price. I've never had a wooden boat, they are beautiful, but I'd be scared of trashing it. Especially as a first paddle.

I would say that a two seater is the most practical. Can be paddled solo easily enough, but room for a friend as well. (Always nice. ) 15 foot is my favourite length.

I'm told that the prospector design is the most versatile, most of tue big brands make a model like this.

Ebay and second hand will save you lots. Especially at this time of year.

I've paddled several 17 footers a solo boat, but my favourite so far is my current Royalex wen-no-nah prospector 15. It does everything I need solo or double, and is capable of more than my current skill level allows.

As far as other kit is concerned I've found the most used items to be.

Paddle (doh!)
Bouyancy aid
Throwline/Floating rope and knife (not your lovely carbon steel bushcraft one)
Dry bags/barrels
Foam pad or knee pads

Summer
Polarized sunglasses
Sun cream
Windproof/waterproof cag
Wide brimmed hat (not just so you can go the "full Mears")

Other months and faster water
Dry cag/drysuit
Airbags
Training

But as you said a try before you buy at a club is the best plan. Try the BCU website to find one in your area.

Hope that helps, I've tried not to do the (you want what I'VE GOT!) :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Anyone else on here got a canoe or indeed thinking about getting one or even hiring one for that matter?:)

Steve

I've owned one in the past; a New Town Discovery 169. As to hiring one, well, that's a regular thing in the summer. I want to abandon canoes for at least one trip this summer though and go tubing again; I haven't done that since I was a teenager!

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Are there any more thoughts on a get together ?, i'm interested but not very good at canoeing so would need "expert" advice !.

Rob

Falcn

Mar 1, 2013
Dinnington
Rob,

If you take a look on the Song of the Paddle site we have a Christmas trip on the river idle through Retford on the 28th Dec. You would be most welcome to join us.

Look for a thread about an Idle Xmas ;-)

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Rob,

If you take a look on the Song of the Paddle site we have a Christmas trip on the river idle through Retford on the 28th Dec. You would be most welcome to join us.

Look for a thread about an Idle Xmas ;-)

Thank you, i have'nt been on there for a while due to hurting my back in a car accident july last year & not canoeing since, but that is now getting better.

Rob

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Going out in a canoe is still something that I need to do, I have found a place in Beccles that hire them and do tours, must give it a go in the summer months.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Going out in a canoe is still something that I need to do, I have found a place in Beccles that hire them and do tours, must give it a go in the summer months.

There is also one that does bushcraft tours...I think it may be the one your talking about :)... hopefully I'll be getting one next year, when I am sorted out me business :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE