How Many Open Canoe Paddlers On Here?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just wondering how many people on here regularly paddle, open,Canadian canoes?

I'm not talking about kayaks, sup's, sots or inflatable kayaks, though if you paddle an inflatable canoe with a single blade paddle-that counts!:cool:

cheers

Steve

Over here we just call them "canoes."

LahaveRiver03.jpg

Kayak is a kayak, SUP is an SUP, a canoe is... well, a canoe!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Although I have not been in my canoe this year (due to the rubbish state of my knees and lower back) I still count my self an Open canoeist - and still hold my Level 4 coaching award :)

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Although I have not been in my canoe this year (due to the rubbish state of my knees and lower back) I still count my self an Open canoeist - and still hold my Level 4 coaching award :)

I have not paddled for twenty years, apart from about 20 mins in that 20 years... wish I kept up my Coaching tickets...... managed to keep hold of some gear, including an old dioline Snipe, a Pirjon Avenger, and my fav a Pyranha 230 Micro Bat, some paddles, spray decks and b'aids..

I can see a Open on top of the landy next year when funds are there :)

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Count me in! Not as regularly as I would like, especially as the Spey has been so low this year and what with family comitments. I'm itching to get out at the mo as the levels are rising and my winter gear is ready, just got to find the time, perhaps over the Chistmas break.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Not quite yet - but on the path...

I have just built a canoe:

vlf4.jpg

That is it in it's unpainted state. Just painted and varnished it inside and out and am waiting for a chance to get it on the water.

Can't wait!!!

rancid badger

Over here we just call them "canoes."

LahaveRiver03.jpg

Kayak is a kayak, SUP is an SUP, a canoe is... well, a canoe!

Ah yes, sadly, over here, a "canoe" is generally anything you paddle and the vast majority of the population, including rather a lot who paddle them, don't really understand the difference or the reason why they should be referred to separately.

The fact that paddling an open canoe, with a single blade paddle, is the pinnacle of paddle powered, water navigation (try saying that, late on a Saturday night, after a few drinks!) is of course, lost on most of my, er...ahem!... "Countrymen";)

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

I know you're not a fan, but try one with seats. Much easier on the knees.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I know you're not a fan, but try one with seats. Much easier on the knees.
:)
I have a seat - angled so that I can sit or kneel .. like an oversized and web-upholstered kneeling thwart.
The trouble is sitting for any length of time (even in an armchair) is as painful as kneeling...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
:)
I have a seat - angled so that I can sit or kneel .. like an oversized and web-upholstered kneeling thwart.
The trouble is sitting for any length of time (even in an armchair) is as painful as kneeling...

Yeah, back aches are harder than the knee problems for me too. Getting older ain't for the cowardly.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
We paddle an open Canadian canoe, in red :). It is a plastic one and I wouldn't have it any other way, I love the look of traditional ones but our boat has been put through a lot of trauma and if it was wood it would probably have broken fairly quickly :(.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE