Grohmann Bulk Deal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
a change in the nature of photos getting sent to me means I wish to be added to the list

(I'd like to add that the other free pereviews didn't get me to send moeny to the site though)

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
what photos.. who.. i dont know what your talking about. :eek:):

your on the list (you were already on the list in anticipation of your lack of will power :nana: )

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
RB, i phoned and asked.. the nice fellow told me that is was "high carbon stainless steel" and told me it keeps a great edge for a long time bla bla... thats all he had to say about it.

leon-1

rapidboy said:
Anyone find out what steel is used in the kits ??

RB, the only place that I have heard the steel type mentioned so far was in OJ's review, he mentions that it is either 440A or a German Steel called 4110, he thought tha latter, the page that the 4110 link takes you to explains the metallurgical breakdown, but when translated it states that the american designation of 4110 is 440A.

As I said earlier I have not seen the metal type mentiond anywhere else, sorry :)

I have e-mailed there customer service department directly asking what specific steel type it is ie; is it 440A, 440C, D2 or what, hopefully I will get a response in the next couple of days and I will let you know when and if I do :)

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Thanks guy's ,
I have arranged several forum knive's and knife kit's (for other forums) and appreciate that it takes a lot of work to organise this kind of thing.
Keep up the good work guy's :biggthump

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I was chatting to a Canadian friend of mine from another forum and the subject of Grohmann knives came up (this was before the "bulk deal" came up and i had been thinking about getting a factory made knife rather than a kit).
Anyway i looked up the thread where i asked him his opinion and as he has both carbon and stainless versions of the same knife i thought i would share his view's......

"Good evening Rapidboy,
I have a pair of the Grohmann knives. I bought the carbon steel one back in the 60s I think and I bought the stainless one about 1994.

I love them both, they are some of the greatest most practical well made knives for the whitetail deer hunter and small game hunter I've used. Yes, I have Randalls and Marbles which are also first rate.

The unusual angle of the handle is to keep your knuckles up off what your cutting, which works and is more comfortable cutting.

The CARBON steel and tempering makes for incredible, beyond belief bite when sharpened, not just sharp, but biting sharp. Its got tooth. The STAINLESS knife will sharpen easily to a shaving edge, very very sharp. But the edge is smooth, slick, sharp, but without tooth and a bit less bite. The stainless is tempered to a higher Rockwell and does not have the torsional strength of the carbon. This can result in minor chipping of the edge if you put some weight behind the blade and twist the edge sideways. This can happen when trying to cut through tendons. Twisting a blade sideways while cutting with weight on the blade is not good anytime, but stainless is more likely to chip than carbon.

The carbon knife can be sharpened too sharp for hunting purposes. When skinning, too sharp of an edge will bite into the hide and cut a hole in it. It will if angled the other way, bite into your meat. Neither of these things are good. The stainless knife edge is smoother and easier on the hide and the meat. The stainless knife is safer for me than the carbon. On small deer, I don't split the sternum to dress out the upper body cavity. I reach up into the upper chest cavity with both hands and forearms, guiding the blade with my left hand holding the knife with my right hand. My hands are warm and bloody up in there and I am working by feel. If I touch the edge of the carbon steel knife, I will nick and or cut myself, My carbon steel Randall will do the same. If I use the Grohmann stainless I am less likely to have the edge bite me.

Both Grohmanns clean up perfectly, they both get a dab of metal polish before putting away. The carbon MUST get a dab of polish AND a wipe of mineral oil.

The design of the knife is purely Canadian and came from interviews with professional hunters and trappers in Canada. One of these knives is on display at the Metropolitan museum of modern art.

I think it is a brilliant design and very funtional, manufactured with fine quality materials. The carbon model was my fathers favorite, the stainless is my favorite."

Just one man's opinion but he is an avid knife collector/user and hunter.

rb

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
If they are 440A, then according to my reading around the differences in the knife steels, it's a bit soft so will need more frequent (but easy) sharpening. On the plus side it has good corrosion resistance. 440B and C are progressively higher carbon versions of the same stuff, with 440C being nearly upto ATS-34 in performance.

ATS-34 (aka 154-CM) makes a useful benchmark because it's a well known high end steel, used in many of the superb folders made by microtech and recently adopted by leatherman when they wanted to make a feature out of using good steel for the knife blades on the Wave.

Cheers

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
When is payment due? Im away on sunday for five days so can't pay until after i get back, i hope you don't mind...

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Jake, the thread is ment to be up for three weeks, im not exactly sure how long it has been up already.. i will start taking payment befor then to make sure this is done nice and quickly.. if you send it fairly soon after you get back you should be ok!

leon-1

Rollnick said:
When is payment due? Im away on sunday for five days so can't pay until after i get back, i hope you don't mind...

Jake one of the reasons that I left this open for three weeks is that once finalized and all people confirm it will be the beginning of next month and hence payday for most of us.

It will probably take an extra week just to ensure that people haven't changed their minds, there is about 10/11 days left before we close the offer, and then tomtom will discuss how we will pay, so I would think that won't be a problem as you are really looking at about another two weeks realistically :)

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
when i do start to take paymen (which will most likely be by traditional methods, snailmail) it would be very helpful if people could send payment ASAP.. as cheques will have to be chashed and this takes time, colonial do not keep more than ten of these in stock so they will have to be ordered from grohmann.. so we need everything to go quickly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE