Fly-Tying

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
@SoldierPalmer where did you fish in the lake District, if you don't mind me asking? I spent many hours spinning for trout in the north lakes in various spots, when I was young. I was highly unsuccessful but loved every minute. I had a go tying flies but never caught anything with them. Funny thing is, I sorted some stuff out in the garage the other day and found those same flies. They've, been gathering dust for more than twenty years!
I only ever fished to eat. It's all coarse fishing where I am now, it doesn't appeal as much. I haven't fished in a long time.
It was the western lakes mainly Ennerdale water. One of the local techniques is bubble and fly as a lot of fish cruise about quite far away from the shore.

Reactions: Suffolkrafter

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Last edited:

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Have been thinking about this today… Would anyone be interested in a virtual fly tying session? Perhaps we choose one fly a month and folks have a go at tying it and post a picture?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Well, on the grounds I have spent my fly fishing life trying to avoid 'commercially named' flies, I'd be happy to participate if we just tied a stonefly nymph, or a soldier beetle, or a may fly etc. rather than an 'Appetizer' or a 'Muddler Minnow' etc.

I rarely have the exact 'ingredients' for many of the classic dressings so just improvise :)

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
That could work even better. I hadn’t considered materials, it would be great to see everyone’s interpretations rather than as you say everyone making the exact same thing.

Reactions: Broch

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
OK Dave, why not start with a new thread in March - you name the beast to emulate (something we'd use for a trout in March for example) and we put up our home-tied photos. A new thread for a new fly each month.

Trout Fly for March?

Reactions: FerlasDave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE