Good Fungi book?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
Can anyone suggest a good Fungi reference book?

I have a small field guide but I am finding that many of the mushrooms I spot either aren't in it or match about 100 different entries. I think it is time to get a bigger/better book and would welcome your suggestions. Ideally, I would like one that has good clear photographs that are true to colour and actually show the relevant bits of the 'shroom. Drawings would be useful too but I like to see photos of actual specimens.

Which is your favourite mushroom book?

Dave

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
My mushroom 'bible' is the Roger Phillips 'Mushrooms and other fungi of Great Britain & Europe'.
Its not something you want to carry around with you, but pretty much the best reference guide you can get.

M@rk

Forager
Aug 31, 2005
Purley, (south London) Surrey
wolf man said:
My mushroom 'bible' is the Roger Phillips 'Mushrooms and other fungi of Great Britain & Europe'.
Its not something you want to carry around with you, but pretty much the best reference guide you can get.
Seconded, Mr Phillips is your man for UK mushrooms

M@rk

Forager
Aug 31, 2005
Purley, (south London) Surrey
JoshG said:
listed by scientific name, I don't know where to begin! :(

I had the same problem with his book (didn’t know he had a web site) and managed to download a list of scientific to common names printed and put it in the book. It was along time ago and can’t remember the site. I’ll have a look and see what I can find. :burnout:

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Try the "The Easy Edible Mushroom Guide by David Peglar", this is a very good little book, with diagrams and photos.
Roger Phillips "Wild Food" is also very good as it has some wonderfull recipes.
Neil

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
Try this one: The pocket guide to mushrooms. Jean - Marie Polese.
ISBN:3-8290-2905-5 Cost RRP £10. Its the best pocket size field guide I've found. I would suggest getting other reference books for specimen study at home . Get one that covers the area you are likely to be collecting from, IE Northern Temperate zone. Discount book shops often have a good selection of field guides ETC. I got the one above for £2.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE