fire from a chocolate bar and a coke can

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its a parabolic reflector and it will work although chocolate as a polishing medium is time consuming (use autosol for the same result quicker). The trick is to put the tinder on a fine pin to avoid blocking the light

Then move on to a condom full of water....

Then a block of ice to carve into a lens........

Red

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
i did'it mean the ink
it's like pressed in to the steel mainly a 4 on coke cans
and 46 or 36 on a beer can they stick out or down only faint
s.o.r.r.y red i sould have put it better at first

I tried this during the winter and it does work, if your going to use the chocolate bar method make sure you use the foil lightly otherwise you only scratch the can up which is no good.
A quicker way is to use wire wool or brasso wadding (more fine tools for fire) which should bring that shine up within 5 minutes.
I only had success with a small piece of single ply toilet paper as the winter sun was too weak even for char cloth, but that was on that particular day, it was fun to do though and rewarding and even better when boring the pants off work colleagues about it (Your making it up - think i'll stick with a lighter is the usual dumb bottom reply).
Just thought i would offer some tips from my experience. Good luck i hope you do it cos it's worth doing just the once.
P.S Those numbers didn't affect the experiment

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE