Hello everyone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 14, 2023
Nottinghamshire
Hey guys, I'm Leon
I'm from Nottinghamshire. I've always had an interest in the out doors and have gone on many yomps around Kinder Scout with friends and family. I grew up watching Ray Mears with my Dad and that always made me look at the local surrounding natural environment which would fill my head with thousands of questions, what's useful?, what's edible?, what's dangerous? what can I make? and how can I help improve the health of our woodlands? plus lots more.

Ive recently started falling down a massive rabbit hole learning as much as I can as quick as I can, but happy in the knowledge that it's a never ending and rewarding pastime. Im very early in my bushcraft journey but experimenting all the time. so far I had partial success with a bow drill (I made smoke and black wood!!!) and I've been playing with birch bark, fat wood and today I even tried my ferro rod on some dryer lint in the utility sink, it was far more effective that I anticipated.
This has got me out of the house far more than ever and I am always trying to figure out when I can sneak out of the house for another woodland mooch.

sorry for waffling on, Im going to leave it there as Im now going to try and start a fire in my fire pit with some birch bark and the cook some bacon on it, because why not?

I look forward to learning all I possibly can from you all and I hope you all have a great day!

Reactions: Mr Wolf and Ozmundo

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Hey guys, I'm Leon
I'm from Nottinghamshire. I've always had an interest in the out doors and have gone on many yomps around Kinder Scout with friends and family. I grew up watching Ray Mears with my Dad and that always made me look at the local surrounding natural environment which would fill my head with thousands of questions, what's useful?, what's edible?, what's dangerous? what can I make? and how can I help improve the health of our woodlands? plus lots more.

Ive recently started falling down a massive rabbit hole learning as much as I can as quick as I can, but happy in the knowledge that it's a never ending and rewarding pastime. Im very early in my bushcraft journey but experimenting all the time. so far I had partial success with a bow drill (I made smoke and black wood!!!) and I've been playing with birch bark, fat wood and today I even tried my ferro rod on some dryer lint in the utility sink, it was far more effective that I anticipated.
This has got me out of the house far more than ever and I am always trying to figure out when I can sneak out of the house for another woodland mooch.

sorry for waffling on, Im going to leave it there as Im now going to try and start a fire in my fire pit with some birch bark and the cook some bacon on it, because why not?

I look forward to learning all I possibly can from you all and I hope you all have a great day!
hola amigo. welcome x

Nov 14, 2023
Nottinghamshire
Currently a beginner in the learning phase too, originally from Nottingham as well! How are you finding picking the right kit? :)
Well so far I can't say I've got too much, I've done tonnes of research and found some decent starter brands. I had a friend pass on some Mora and Bacho knives which have been great and I picked up a cheap ferro rod off of amazon. But my main focus has been based around learning rather than getting gear. I've just been trawling YouTube and listening to a few audio books and podcasts.
How's your initiation in to bushcraft going?

Reactions: Rachel.riveroak

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Well so far I can't say I've got too much, I've done tonnes of research and found some decent starter brands. I had a friend pass on some Mora and Bacho knives which have been great and I picked up a cheap ferro rod off of amazon. But my main focus has been based around learning rather than getting gear. I've just been trawling YouTube and listening to a few audio books and podcasts.
Have a read through this thread, very useful.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Currently a beginner in the learning phase too, originally from Nottingham as well! How are you finding picking the right kit? :)

Reactions: Rachel.riveroak
Nov 14, 2023
Nottinghamshire
I’ll check it out now, thank you!

Rachel.riveroak

Nov 11, 2023
Windsor
Waiting for my tarp and paracord to arrive but listening to audiobooks, really recommend the British woodland one by Ray Mears, goes into depth about different uses of plants whilst out and about :)

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Welcome. There is always more to discover/rediscover. Part of the appeal for me. If I have twenty minutes free I can mess about with trying a new knot or experimenting with a ridgeline.

Reactions: Sublimeleonism
Nov 14, 2023
Nottinghamshire
Waiting for my tarp and paracord to arrive but listening to audiobooks, really recommend the British woodland one by Ray Mears, goes into depth about different uses of plants whilst out and about :)

It’s funny that you mention that book because it was listening to that that encouraged me to start getting out and learning! It’s a great book isn’t it, I can’t wait for it to come in paperback so I can take it out with me on my woodland walks.

What tarp did you go for? Are you planning some wild camps soon then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE