Comp for the budding knife makers amongst us!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
thanks for the link lannyman, well handy - but can anyone tell me what state the steel is in when bought (as a rule)?

i was gonna ask that,...

a blank of 01,...can it be worked form supply ar will it need anealling?

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
ye its a realy good link......most steel when made will be soft not heat treated as this bumps up the price..... the only real way to find out though is get the file on it, but some metals realy are hard anyway like stainless, it chews up saw blades and sand paper like crazy.......

hope this helps......

chris.........................................................................................

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
ok so now just to cover my bases,...i,m putting another file on here,,,hahahaha i am addicted and have depleted every boot sale within 20 miles of files at the weekend!!

i call it the RAT2,...ta daa!!

IMG00148-20101101-1951.jpg

IMG00150-20101101-1952.jpg

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
hey Stu, nice little blade there.........im cranking up the forge 2moz if the weather is ok..... battering steel is what im doing.......lol

Stu whats the handle made from mate looks real nice........all the wood i use is found out and about as most of my spare money goes on brass rod (handle pins) and sanding belts charcoal, coal and stuff like that........just seen a blown down apple tree so thats the next lot of handles after i go get it and its dry......will also use some for spoons i think.....

will p/m you Stu about some tube for lanyard holes if thats ok mate.....

regards.

chris........................................

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
hey Stu, nice little blade there.........im cranking up the forge 2moz if the weather is ok..... battering steel is what im doing.......lol

Stu whats the handle made from mate looks real nice........all the wood i use is found out and about as most of my spare money goes on brass rod (handle pins) and sanding belts charcoal, coal and stuff like that........just seen a blown down apple tree so thats the next lot of handles after i go get it and its dry......will also use some for spoons i think.....

will p/m you Stu about some tube for lanyard holes if thats ok mate.....

regards.

chris........................................

hey Chris,..

yes mate no probs on the tube,....

the handle above is a chopped RAT3 micarta handle,.....hahahaha

i,m just a butcher i know,...

good luck with the forging,...keep us posted bud

cheers

Stu

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
Anyone else fancy having a crack at this...nothing to lose folks, who knows you might have a potential wnner sat in that junk drawer!

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
Ok - finally made a start! Inspired by DaveBromleys thread I grabbed a bunch of files from ebay. Some were in quite good shape (so I'm actualy using those to do the job!), some were too small, and some OK - of these it was pretty much a random selection for no.1 :)

So a bit of a think and a scribbble (after discovering how to get blisters) ...

and the story so far ...

P1010005.jpg
[/IMG]

Any comments appreciated :)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
awesome,heat treat that corectly and it will last for ever and cut through anything, batton fire wood the lot..........

good work..................

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
just a skining knife mate, the wide blade end and curve make it more efficiant to skin and leave more meat on the animal........its for bigger animals like deer and the like......im going to have to forge it again to get a stick tang for the handle, the chunk thats left will make a small carving knife blade........

i dont know how hard its going to be as i dont know what metal it is but probly O1 carbon steel...........

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
awesome,heat treat that corectly and it will last for ever and cut through anything, batton fire wood the lot..........

good work..................

Cheers lannyman - that was the idea. Its a good chunk of steel and I was keeping the spine nice and flat so as to be able to 'give it some' ;) very heavy at the moment so I'll drop the weight with a few well chosen holes, but overall quite happy so far.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England

Dude that looks awesome for a first attempt !! your bevels look clean and the shaping of the file is MUCH better than my first attempt lol!! Oh and thanks for the compliment about my thread!

My only issue with my knife is that because of its thickness (over 5mm) and the steep bevels it is harder to use than i would like for intricate tasks. I'm working on something at the moment that started as a piece of 3mm flat O1 stock, I'll get some pictures up soon

Dave

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
this was also 5mm - the stock removal was heavily blade biased so now I have a taper back to front ... could cause problems at the handling stage, but we'll have to wait and see ... as a complete newbie I'm just happy it looks kind of like a knife - to me anyway! ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE