Comp for the budding knife makers amongst us!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
Huge apologies to Raikey and Telwebb, I've been away for a couple of days and forgot to post your goodies before I went!
They went 1st class today so should be with you shortly!

Don't forget to post pics when you're finished guys!

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
I've just declared my uselessness on BB so I guess I should here too :(

There comes a point where you have to say enough is enough, and with this project thats now! I've fiddled and fudged my way through this one, and up to and including HT wasn't unhappy with it. Then the big change when I decided to nab a cheapo belt grinder combo 'to make things easier'. First off I wrecked the grinds and spent ages trying to match the two sides - in the end I settled for a less than impressive result, thinking to myself that this one was all about experiencing the ups and downs and next time I'd be more prepared – jigs, clamps, vice, whatever... Lesson 1 – freehand with power tools is an art and I don't possess it.

Then the scales – I'd always planned on a slim handle but (you know don't you?) it seemed to be taking ages to remove any material so I popped a new belt on.... oops – bit too much that side, match it the other side, oops....hang on – where'd that blood come from – oops... Lesson 2 – learn lesson 1 and never take your eye off the ball!

And so this is where it ends – I was in two minds (not many for me ) whether to bin it, try smashing the scales off and starting again, or just oil it up as is and keep it as a reminder of just how talented a lot of you guys really are and what a knob I am. First option would have been too much, second one tempting, but not worth it when I can start again with less hassle, so third it is.

Cheers

Tel (Master Knifemucker)

edit: sorry 'bout the waste of beautiful scales Culloch :(

Last edited:

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
chin up matey just remember to take it slow and have fun, dont put too much pressure on yourself to get it perfect. Some of the guys on this forum (and BB) have been doing it for years!

I'm sure your next effort will turn out exactly the way you want

Dave

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Ditto what Dave said matey, i think you hit the nail on the head when you said this one was about the experience, its only a true failure if you fail to learn from your mistakes. I go running a lot at the moment (31 and joining back up!!) I run 6 days out of 7 an generally feel great, but every now and then, i tweak something on my first step, I rush to get up a hill and find I've got nothing left for the last couple of miles, or just feel crap all the way round. but as long as you remember what you did wrong last time and apply the lessons learnt in your future efforts, you'll find your self getting up that hill quicker, and looking better at the end more often than not.

Chin up dude! and crack on with the next piece!!

I have some maple, if you want some for your next knife, pm me your addy mate and i'll get in the post next weekend.

Dave.

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
Don't worry about the scales mate, I've wrecked a few cracking sets over the last couple of years!
The trick is to learn from it and move forward.

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
You guys don't know how much this kind of support helps - or you probably do - in either case I thank you for it! Anyway, the majorly skinny piece ... if I may -

SAM_0086.jpg

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
If it takes an edge and cuts, then why not finish it and use it till you make another? even if you dont like how it looks, just keep it on the kitchen draw and use in there, might as well dude, it looks fine from here.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
same here,....my first was basically unusable, i got the handle all wrong,......

but its on the shelf cos it'll always be my first,...

treasure it, make another and you,ll love it in a year when there are 20 others which get gradually better,...

to be honest it looks fine,...,,

keep at it Tel,...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE