Comp for the budding knife makers amongst us!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
tel

i,m intrigued ,

how did you help centre the grind?...

i kept goin from one side to the other and losing metal,...

do you scribe a line?, or use a marker pen,....?

best is to scribe a center line along the edge and a grind hight on the sides then file between the 2
i use a vernier caliper but used ot use a bit of metal half the thickness chisel ground on a flat surface or some use a drill bit the same dia as the thickness tho i find this leaves a thick line

ATB

Duncan

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
looking good to me Tel your right id leave it there too.......just got my skinner in the oven tempering now......forged the handle after cutting a big chunck of.....it will be ready for a sharpen and handle in about 40 mins....lol.....

also made my first spoon knife and changed the profile on an axe (but thats gone t**s up)........will post some pics after dinner...........

keep it up Tel..........

chris......................................

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
best is to scribe a center line along the edge and a grind hight on the sides then file between the 2
i use a vernier caliper but used ot use a bit of metal half the thickness chisel ground on a flat surface or some use a drill bit the same dia as the thickness tho i find this leaves a thick line

ATB

Duncan

cheers Duncan,,..

dont think i was far off then,..

i used a vernier , halved the thicknes and scribed,...

for the hieght of the grind i marked it and then put permanent marker where i DIDNT want to file,...that way i could see if i touched it and corrected me sen,..

cheers,...

i have a bevel plate in build now tho,...;-)

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
Some good stuff there Chris - bit beyond me for a while yet! Couple of questions now we agree on the depth of grind (;)) - how 'finished' do you reckon before hardening, and having got that far, best way for a non-forge owner to approach the hardening?

Cheers

tel

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Some good stuff there Chris - bit beyond me for a while yet! Couple of questions now we agree on the depth of grind (;)) - how 'finished' do you reckon before hardening, and having got that far, best way for a non-forge owner to approach the hardening?

Cheers

tel

i virtually finished mine,...

no file marks at the very least,...

i "polished" it with some 240 - 320 grit,..

then hardened it in the bbq with briqquetes and a hair dryer,..up to non magnetic,...(orange) then vertically into a deep billy full of oil,..(anything you have really,,49p veg oil from netto)

tempering then in the oven,..220 - 240 for an hour...

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Cheers Raikey - and no 'edge' you said earlier - so bevelled but not sharp?

thats what i did,...

left it coming to an edge of about a mm to half a mm....

basically enough not to melt, but not too much that its gonna take a week to get an edge on it,...

saying that i havent finished the edge on mine but its coming fairly easy,...

just work keeps getting in the way of fun,...

just shout if you need owt,...

cheers

Stu

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Hey up lads, sorry internet course English and Maths for work BORE YAWN>>>>ZZZZZzzzzzzz.........

the axe was an axe but had a splitting shape head (car boot £2.50) so i took the blow torch to it then the grinder, this made it more GB style cutting bit just a bit thicker..........as you can see though when i polished it up a bit for the temper it cracked so its now scrap GUTTED........took ages too.....

Tel ref your blade, i would get the blade ready to go but not sharp sharp but have an edge on, then just run some sand paper over the top to round it of just a little...
you will get away with a small fire or bbq is fine.......keep the blade uper most with the spine taking the main heat (be carefull not to dent the blade when you pile ash charcoal coal on top, i found brickets damaged the most as they are quite heavy, this is when hot by the way)......

i would heat untill dull red remove and let cool SLOW style heat again a bit hotter brighter red and let cool again, this removes any stress in the blade and helps prevent it warping on the quech.......3rd time heat till bright red / orange then plonk it in the oil or water keep it straight and dont wave it about to much or it will warp.......

check with the SIDE EDGE of a file (so you dont nacker the file) that its hard then stick it in the oven gas mark 7 1/2 8 230c = rc 60 ish for an hour use a pre heated oven as it will flare less and stay at a more constant temp.........you could also put the blade in a tray of dry sand to stop it OVER tempering but you dont need to............

any probs call me mate, will p/m my number dude......

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
OK - last before drilling and hardening .... promise ;)

P1010017.jpg

P1010018.jpg

(oh please dont let it break....)

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
just finished polishing for now, but first got to check with my brother what he wants.
its so beautiful. now soo shiny.

will post pics with a proper camera to do the blade justice

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
Sorry guys' just remembered this thread and realised the comp date had over run...

Now then....decision time!

Some nice stuff showing .....but there can be only one winner.....

actually no....I can't choose between Raikey's E.J.P.G Knife and Telwebb's Slim File Bushy so if it's ok with you guys I'll declare it a draw and send you both scales etc!

Unfortunately I'm unable to give you both Mosaic pins so if nobody has any objections I'll send you both: 1 Pair English Walnut Scales, Red Liners and Brass Pins & Lanyard Tube!

Sorry about the lack of choice but I expected to be able to pick a clear winner and had budgeted for a single prize!

RAIKEY / TELWEBB drop me a pm guys with your postal address and I'll get your prizes out to you!

Well done and thanks to all who took part!

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
YAY!!!

Never won anything before,...hahah

Nice one Gaz!....

i,ll pm yer later as i,m in a meeting at work at the mo,..hahah still had time to reply to this tho,...

yay ! again,...

Well done Tel too ,....

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE