Comp for the budding knife makers amongst us!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
Okay, there seems to be a fair few folk making their own knives around these parts, so i figured I'd hold a wee comp for the budding knife makers and maybe encourage somebody who's been nervous about it to have a go!
So I'll put up a pair of handle scales vulcanised fibre liners and a set of mosaic pins and lanyard tube..

you can choose from: Leopard Wood or Figured Crotch Walnut for the scales.

Red or Black liners, you choose!

All you have to do is post a pic of the blade you'd like to use them on and say why you choose that blade......and promise to post pics on completion!

Doesn't matter if its a new blade blank, bought, self made or if you want to rehandle an old favourite!
I'll try to pick a deserving winner!

Happy to let this run to the 15th Nov so get posting yer pics etc if you'd like the chance to win some very nice bitz to dress your blade!

Cheers

Gaz

Last edited:

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
perfect timing!,..

count me in!,..

i had a file in the stove for a few hours last night,..

and just had an hour hacking lumps out of it just now,.....

IMG00101-20101025-1352.jpg

IMG00103-20101025-1941.jpg

Last edited:

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
thanks for the comp Gaz,..

ok,.

this is my first build,...

i wanted (needed!) to make a knife from scratch,...

i rehandled one a couple of weeks ago,("rat 3 revamp", on here somewhere)

and i really liked the shape of the little side project i did with it, (a crkt cheapo),

so i decieded to create a masterpiece HAHAHa from scratch with a similar shape....

i based it loosley on the benchmade activator, and like the arc of the spine and the clean lines,

it will be used for food prep, general camp duties and the odd bit of skinning,..

i,m giving it a high grind when i set up some way of jigging it...

gonna get another few hours in after work tommorow , where i'll give more shape to the blade and drill the holes,..

the handle material is still unknown,,,

oh i promise to not only post the finished job,...but a W.I.P on this thread ,

i'll feel a little self indulgent if i create another project thread, so if you dont mind we can combine my WIP with your comp?....

Last edited:

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
ooh, ooh - I've just got a blade from FGYT which is an absolute beauty (never meant to, just kinda happened ;)), and also acquired some files to do it the other way.... starting with little equipment and absolutely no idea!

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
Great first response there Raikey!
Keep them coming folks!

If you click the link in my sig line there's pics of all the scales to help you decide!

Last edited:

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
ooh, ooh - I've just got a blade from FGYT which is an absolute beauty (never meant to, just kinda happened ;)), and also acquired some files to do it the other way.... starting with little equipment and absolutely no idea!

Duncan's blades are a good starting point for a beginner!
It's not as daunting as you think mate, if you google "Green Pete" there's a really good tutorial on setting up a jig to file the bevels by hand!

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
That was my intention (from a file that is), and as it happens because I scored a 'spare' set of scales I'm quite likely to do a file knife for experience before risking mucking up Duncans work! Seen Green Pete's and many others tutorials - hope I can produce something even close. In this instance perhaps count me out - bit too sketchy at the minute! Nice idea though ;)

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
this is my new set of blades, well it will be when there made.......lol...... i start next week......COME ON...............]

aahh!!

hahaha your forging?!?!?

thats one stage further back than me,..grrr,...

i thought my file effort was the clincher,...hahah

good luck mate

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
That was my intention (from a file that is), and as it happens because I scored a 'spare' set of scales I'm quite likely to do a file knife for experience before risking mucking up Duncans work! Seen Green Pete's and many others tutorials - hope I can produce something even close. In this instance perhaps count me out - bit too sketchy at the minute! Nice idea though ;)

Have a crack at it it mate!
There's nothing to lose and lots to gain.. you might even win!

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Raikey, this will be my first forgeing job and am looking forward to it...... i have done a few basic blades from flat groud (saw blades) which are RC 57 so not to hard....

id like to do some demascus from scratch but think i should try this and work my way up..... adleast this way i will have some basic know how on how to do the realy basic stuff....my tools are very basic and £ friendly (ie cheep) got those masonry bits today from poud shop, using a sledge hammer head for an anvil and a claw hammer for er the hammer....

my plan is to use 2 for blades, keep the small chisel for cutting bilets when i do the dami and turn the u shaped one into a wood work chisel (sharpen up and heat treat)....

the other 2 will be turned (i hope) into blades for bushey stuff if i can do it with what i have...... i hope to get 2 blades from each chisel so 4 blaeds in total.......

good luck to you Raikey as we are both begginers just at different stages of the game.......

regards

chris.........................

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
i very much fancy it - but circumstances simply dont allow for it.
Can i encourage those taking part to take pics of the process since there seems to be a few different methods being employed and it would be great to see more about how those methods work!

good luck chaps!

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
I have a Old Hickory skinner which I'm going to reduce to more of a nessmuk shape / camp knife. I got given a load of sheet leather and some bits of pieces to make the sheath.
A tree surgeon gave me some cherry for handle making but its split.

Also have couple of mini nessmuk blades I am going to make up for my two sons, with sheaths, for their use around camp.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
I am trying to decide how to refurb and old favorite, I carried it all the way through my basic training in 2000, then through six deployments in various places around th eworld some hot some not, it means a lot to me but since the screw failed and the original metal scale feel off about a year ago it has lived in a draw and not been out to play, its a whitby blade bought for me by a mate who is no onger here, so it means alot to me and would like to use it more as a necker, i think if i trim the kydex down a bit i should be able to still use the original sheath even with larger wooden scales, its a project i keep getting so far in the drawing process then loss confidence in the shape and bin the idea, i think I might have a bit of mental block when it comes to this knife, I will get a pick in a sec once the boxes have gone from the garage!! then at least i should have my work shop back,

Cheers for the comp Gaz very generous of you mate,

the ones with meaning are the most difficult to do justice to mate,..

touching story and i,m sure you'll sort it out Dave,..

i picked a ratty old Sheffield butchers knike up in me Dads shed at the weekend,...

he said it was his dads,...and hes tried fixing the scales with fibreglass resin,...he uses it for all sorts,...

so i took it and i,ve got a few ideas rolling about,...

i have a silver sixpence minted in my Dads birthyear and one in my grandads,

i,m gonna try setting them into some scales i have out of Cherry, (which coincedentally was a tree in me dads garden planted by his late brother)....

hahahah if ever there was a Raikey family comemorative knife , this will be it,...lmao,...

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
Hi.

I'd like to be included in this if possible.

I dont have a pic yet but i will get one later, the only drawings i have so far are free hand and look like they were done by a 3 year old, I'm getting the blade that i will be rehandling today, its a cheapy from the net that comes wrapped in paracord.

I've never done this before but from reading all the guys on here and British blades that make their own inspired me to try, everything will be done with hand tools.

As soon as i have a better drawing i'll post it up.

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE