Comp for the budding knife makers amongst us!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
I have the knifes know, i was only expecting one, but my mate, being the star that he is bought me 2.

I'll get some designs up soon.

Tom

glyn77

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2009
Salford
Bah - I would, but I've already put several hours into my current handling project and I'm damn well going to finish it after all that sanding!

Good luck folks.

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
a woodlore style knife for my 12 y/o brother for a first proper knife, made from mercedes leaf spring, forged and hardened by hand now on the sanding and polishing.
this will be the second knife im making a bit of a hash of the first it being only my second blacksmithing project.
Photo0295.jpg

the pics are a bit dated, but sitll show the basic shape
Photo0300.jpg

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
ok, progress has been made but not necessarily in the direction i planned ,

i filed the bevels, but went too deep on the first one, so had to centralise it again losing some material in the process,..

its a nice learning curve if a little frustrating as i,d hate to get this far and have to scrap it,...

i,m sure i wont make the same mistakes with my next one,...

IMG00125-20101027-2357.jpg

IMG00124-20101027-2357.jpg

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
ok,..waaay different than planned but i had a mishap and had to rethink the job,..

ready for heat treat tommorow,..

i give you,.....the Elton John, pink grapefruit blade..

IMG00133-20101028-2131.jpg

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
so i went from a high gind , deep belly,..

to a full flat grind, bushy type drop point shape,...

hahaha the job just sort of eveloved ,...

all hand filed too,..

oh i left the file showing on the handle so people still know its a file, and the epoxy will key a lil better too

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Raikey, thats realy good work i like it alot.......

watch that blade edge and tip in the forge they will melt of real easy....

keep up the good work mate..

chris...............

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
yeah i thought that Chris,...its pretty thick on the cutting edge,...bout 1.5 mm,..the tip can be reshaped i reckon if it goes,..

come to think of it,..i need to make the forge ,...lol....

i have a big old 205 litre drum, double skinned wood burner,...i left the filler in the front at the bottom so i can shove air into it if need be,...dont know if i,m gonna try that ar just use the mrs hair dryer and the bbq....

we'll see,....i always say, "its all part of the adventure"

i live by that, and

"it'll be rate" (Yorkshire accent of course!)

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Yeah, just wondering if you will get a neat glue line with the file ridges still there,

YEAH , OOPS CAPS,,,SORrry!

i viewed it from above and the edge is clear of ridges,...they are very faint, more etching and no real depth,,,

cant get a finger nail on one if that makes sense,,,

so i,m leaving it mate,..i need the extra adhesion to cope with the pink liners, diamante intermediate plates, glitter plates, 2nd pink liners, tiger print liners and mosaic pins with lovehearts in them,...

good bye Norma jean,,,,etc etc etc,....hahahahah

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Hi Raikey, sounds good for the berbey or the stove....... once you get the hang of heat treating its easy took me 5 goes but as you say its all part of it mate......

looks a good blade mate....... when you heat it make sure its blade up and straight or the heat may bent it, also its better to heat slow and steady as this will give better margin for error...(so you dont melt the tip or blade ) use the hair dryer on and off just to give that little extra heat, but im sure you could do it with out any extra air flow at all realy it just takes a bit longer..

hope this helps, and best of luck mate.....

regards...

chris..................

Culloch

Forager
Jun 22, 2008
Australia
i need the extra adhesion to cope with the pink liners, diamante intermediate plates, glitter plates, 2nd pink liners, tiger print liners and mosaic pins with lovehearts in them,...

so... does this new blade of yours come with it's own fork lift and a bearer who attends it everywhere it goes handing out free sunglasses!

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
yep!,...

i have a bearer who carries it , proceeded by two virgins on white stallions who scatter rose petals ,..

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
evening!!

ok i heat treated the blade today, in the bbq with a hair dryer and 2 litres of cheap veg oil from netto,..

no pics as the blade is exactly how it is above except it smells like chips,..

oh and its hard,....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE