Coffee

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
What is all this about putting white stuff in coffee?
The only dairy to come in contact with coffee should be steam heated frothy milk - and then it is called some crazy Italian name derived from Monks clothing!
Now COFFEE is an ink black drink, seething with promisses and should be adulterated only with a little raw sugar, or fine spiritous liquer (if anything) and NEVER "non-dairy cremer" which is a sin against coffee, nature and digestion.
The only coffee bags I have tried were so bland and weak that they ended up in the fire, where at least they smelt good....
The best mug I have used for camping coffee is a mug made from a coconut shell which imparts a certain flavour of its own to the brew, though the flavour is weakening as the mug ages.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
An Aerobie AEROPRESS for me and I hand grind fresh before I leave but am looking for a small grinder I can take with me. I also take some Lyons coffee bags I just wish they were a darker roast.

One problem I have when I am with other is that I drink it back no sugar so never even think of bringing milk/whitener or sugar except is my car winter emergency kit in with I have a tube of Nestle sweetend condesed milk.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
"I'd rather go without than drink instant. "
I'll second that..a good cup of tea beats a bad coffee.
I have used 3 methods over the years.
1 hot water and grounds in mug leave 5 mins grounds sink drink (not sure if it works with milk but fine black which is of course how coffee should be anyway) Strain a bit through teeth and fling the last 1/8th cup away.
2 this one we use at home, brew in nice jug (could be billy can) pour into cups through tea strainer (need a fairly fine tea strainer but it works very well) again dont drink to the bottom of the cup.
3 in our campervan we have some nasty looking but very effective plastc mugs which have cafetiere type plungers in if you really don't like the ground bits and don't mind a bit of plastic they work very well. Not sure where they came from Nicola bought them online.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
All good stuff there. I knew that I would lure BR out with a question about coffee:) the Jedi knight of coffee making.....hmnnn so no-one adds salt to it......hmmn instant coffee only one thing worse decaff instant coffee.
Dave

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Maybe I've just been making really crap coffee. Tell you what, I'll allow myself to be converted. I'll try any of you fine gentlemen's real coffee when next at a meet, and if I like what I taste, I'll happily encourage you to show me the finer points of making real coffee.

The problem in the past for me has probably been:
1 Never been shown how to make real coffee.
2 Assumed it was done the same as instant.
3 Gave up too early in disgust and made a nice cup of tea instead.

Eric

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
i always take a little bit of coffee instant, nescafe, with me dont drink it though i just love the smell, but i suppose in a real life and death situation i might, MIGHT have a sip of it, iits like when you go into a coffee house and say "tea please"

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
There's two things that (being a newbie) I'm still amazed that no body is using (one of which relates to this thread) - muslin and dental floss. Now obviously the dental floss has nothing to do with this thread unless the grounds get into your teeth (it's for emergency rope, fishing line, snare wire, etc), but if you had some coffee grounds tied in a small muslin bag, and left it to steep in your hot water for a while I'm sure you could bet a decent brew from it.

What do you think?

Chris

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Camp coffee. Nothing like it. I usually make a quart and a half kettle full at a time. I put in 3/8 cup of grounds and boil it, or put 3/8 cup in a paper filter, tied with string (prepared before hand. If it is cooked over an open fire - you can't make bad coffee.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There's two things that (being a newbie) I'm still amazed that no body is using (one of which relates to this thread) - muslin and dental floss. Now obviously the dental floss has nothing to do with this thread unless the grounds get into your teeth (it's for emergency rope, fishing line, snare wire, etc), but if you had some coffee grounds tied in a small muslin bag, and left it to steep in your hot water for a while I'm sure you could bet a decent brew from it.

What do you think?

Chris
It would work! In fact a nylon tea strainer works well too. It also comes in handy for filtering out the twigs and gunk from stream water. Weighs next to nothing too

Red

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Ok, I do my camp coffe cowboy style (or traditional scandinavian style, but I've used that phrase to much, so I go with the cowboy lore today).

You need fresh, clean and cold water, a stainless steel coffe pot and course ground coffe, roasted to whatever you fancy, and optionally some rinsed egg shells (to reduce the acidity in the coffe, gives it a rounder taste). Chuck the water, the coffe and maybe the egg shells in the pot, bring to a low boil, take it off let it cool off, brint to a boil again, repeat three times (three boils that is). And let the coffe cool down, splash some cold water on the pot to help the sinking (alternatively dip a burning piece of wood into the coffe, sounds weird, but helps sinking and adds some nice flavours). Drink at 80-90 degrees, when the grounds have settled.

Most importantly, no friggin' milk or sugar!

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
so when we going camping together then big swede!

i usually take coffie 'T' bags,the work wellbuti tend to use 2 per cup!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have just tried Big Swedes method - very good it is too!
I would however still take my filter if I could - I just prefer coffee without grounds/ash in it.
Call me a wuss if you like but that is how I like it....

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I have just tried Big Swedes method - very good it is too!
I would however still take my filter if I could - I just prefer coffee without grounds/ash in it.
Call me a wuss if you like but that is how I like it....

Wuss! :D

(a couple of letters more, cos the post have a minimum length)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE