Coffee

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
How do you drink yours?
Outdoors I mean. Real coffee stainless cafetierre ?Looking at improving the drinks I take/make when outdoors. I do like the odd fruit tea which is easy just take a t bag but I do like a nice coffee so how do you do yours? Didn't I see RM on a just chuck a load of real coffee in a billy on the Country Tracks series just can't remember how he filtered it?!?!
Ta Dave

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use a filter with a gold plated filter membrane!
True - but only as it was the only plastic bodied, self contained filter unit I could find.
I have been told that of you brew your coffee in a bilie then splash the surface with a few drops of cold water the grounds sink to the bottom...I have not yet tried this but intend to soon!

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
If i remember right, the coffee is done when the grounds sink to the bottom of the billycan, the other option is to take instant coffee of course:)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Me - I see John's gold plated doodad and raise you "roasting the beans freshly in the camp"

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16039

grind1sv8.jpg

Proper coffee is a vital ingredient to waking up. Curiously when I'm roasting coffee, even Spikey da Pikey seems to get out of his hammock :)

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I would go with anything B Red is doing as I know he loves his coffee too, but this one is an easy one to try outdoors on the fire. Credit to Andyn's brother Paul for teaching me this . I think its a Spanish way of making it...You simply fill your billy with cold water, enough water for required number of mugs. One tablespoon of coffee per mug plus one for the pot is added to the cold water. When the water boils the coffee granules will sink, and you pour the drink into the mugs. I do this at home too...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I gave Sean a pot of a new roast I've done recently Jon (Mexican organic stuff from a small plantation) - he called in when the house was full of coffee smells so it only seemed fair.

Not heard from him since...........it is a bit strong.......he may have had trouble sleeping :D

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I gave Sean a pot of a new roast I've done recently Jon (Mexican organic stuff from a small plantation) - he called in when the house was full of coffee smells so it only seemed fair.

Not heard from him since...........it is a bit strong.......he may have had trouble sleeping :D

Red

Ahh, I have noticed he does often write posts very late at night....So its your fault. Poor old bugger prolly ain't getting much done at work cos he can't sleep....

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Stainless steel cafetiere
Pre-ground coffee, preferably Colombian or similar
Stainless thermal mug to drink it from

A tablespoon of coffee for each cup
Water is boiled but then allowed to cool to around 90C (the optimum temperature for infusing the granules) and measured into the cafetiere ensuring the correct amount of water for each cup is poured in.
Unrefined sugar and coffee whitener (more convenient than milk) are added to the brewed coffee according to taste.

For espresso coffee I use a mocha pot (also called and espresso pot but it doesn't make a true espresso) and a finely ground coffee such as Lavazza.

I'd rather go without than drink instant. :yuck:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nescafe Gold Blend (sorry John), coffeemate & sugar all pre mixed in a plastic bottle. Two spoons to one serving. Lovely

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS

Red
Its very good,I'm drinking some as we talk.We also had roast chicken this evening with your port and cranberry sauce! Delicious!:You_Rock_ :thanks:
In the woods its just strong gold blend. Lots of it.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I grind the coffee to take away and use a small expresso pot, works on the stove and on the fire

The ultimate bushcraft luxury: Talyors Italian blend (pre-ground for convenience). Stainless steel cafetiere, single cream, a couple of scoops of organic granulated sugar - and (very important) a large, three fingered, brandy soaked kuska to drink it from. Bad weather? Ha!

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I prefer a nice cup of tea. If I have to drink coffee, Gold Blend will do. I don't faff on with real coffee, roasting it and percolating it and all that, just to get a cup of sour sludge - Yuk!

Eric

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
I recall the tracks episode where Ray had his BBC breakfast (bacon banock and coffee) he sujested as others have done when the coffee is ready the coffee grindings will sink I was just thinking why arent there any coffee bags it would simplify the making of fresh coffee -- Just a thought

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
I drink mine black out in the bush, unless I have a tube of sweetened condensed milk with me, and put my coffee grounds in a little cloth bag I carry just for this, its like a home made coffee bag... and works a treat... oh, and I grind / crush my own beans too...

Cheers,

Karl

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There are John - Lyons make them individually wrapped in foil pouches. Indeed last time I had a brew with Jon Pickett thats what we used in the woods since the perculator is a bit of a faff for day walks. Very good they are too!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE