Coffee

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
There are many ways to make coffe, these are the three diffrent versions I like and some other tips.

But before making coffe there are some essential items that should be with you to make it all complete.
A proper coffe pot, blackened wih soot
Coffe bag to store you coffe
A old and used kuksa all black of much coffe drinking
Dried reindeer meat to accompany your coffe
And most importatn of all, coffe should always be made over a fire

Cold water from a stream is the best one, best is water fom a mountain stream. But you might need some salt in the coffe then.

First fill the coffepot (a proper one) with the cold water and then add the coffe. The coffe should be the kind that is made to be boiled, my personal choice is Arvid Nordquist KOK. Just before it starts to boil you take it off and pour in some cold water. This procedure should be repeated 3 times before the coffe is ready. And as always let it stand for a few minutes so the grains can sink to the bottom.

A quicker way is to use cold water and coffe and bring it to a boil and take it off and put a burning piece of töresticka (like mayastick) in the pot. This will give the coffe some more taste.

The lazy version is just to mix the water and coffe and take it off the fire just before it boils and let it stand for a few minutes before drinking it.

lottie.lou

Forager
Oct 9, 2007
Preston
I love coffee but I can't drink caffeinated stuff. I've only just found out today that theres a non chemical way of decaffeinating it called the 'The Swiss Water Process Method'. Not had a look for any yet but hopefully it'll be blackening my teeth again in no time :D

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Works fine for me, did it this weekend the latest time.

It takes a Swede to drink proper coffe :lmao:
I have turned two English friends when doing courses, first calling med mad saying I was drinking tar, but after a few days with me they started to like it too. Nowadays I even have to bring with me coffe and coffepot over to England when I am visiting :cool:

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
It takes a Swede to drink proper coffe :lmao:
I have turned two English friends when doing courses, first calling med mad saying I was drinking tar, but after a few days with me they started to like it too. Nowadays I even have to bring with me coffe and coffepot over to England when I am visiting :cool:

Are you coming along this weekend then? Don't think there's gonna be ice on the lakes..

rat pac

Sep 8, 2007
Kingston Surrey
coffee just can't wake up without it...??????
has anyone else used those new kenco 3 in 1 coffee, whitener and sugar all in a nice waterproof mug size packet
very easy.
not a bad brew and scales down the brew kit
regards to all
rat pac

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
has anyone else used those new kenco 3 in 1 coffee, whitener and sugar all in a nice waterproof mug size packet
:yuck: not more 'coffee flavoured drink'!!

These ? http://www.smartcafe.co.uk/products/hot_cafetiere_mugs.asp

British Red coffee is very nice, even for a sleepy Pikey :D
yep, those are the ones - big spoonful of your fave ground coffee, pour on hot water, let it brew, push down plunger thingie - and all in an insulated cup :approve:

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I'm a fan of the Lyons coffee-bags, passed a couple out at Middlewood too. I like them because they're individually foil-wrapped - not very environmentally friendly I know but while they remain sealed they're waterproof, perfect for a quick brew kit.

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Whittards do a plastic coffee filter thingy with or without a mug. Works nicely with a small billy, Zambian Fairtrade and a Kuksa

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE