Mushroom Coffee?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
That is the sound of the latest "new thing" landing near you.

Am left scratching my head and wondering what people are thinking.

Marketed as a "possible" source of "adaptogens" (whatever they are - sounds like snake oil for hipsters to me just like it used to be antioxidants and then free radicals). Now apparently we need adaptogens.

Anyone tried it? How long did it take you to recover?

Maybe I am just too old, pass the real coffee please.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well chaga is mushroom, and it's good as a 'coffee', much used in the far north apparently.
I've made it using fomes fomentarius too...the De'il hoof fungus.....and it wasn't so good.
It was a tad tcp like.

Reactions: Tantalus

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Is it akin to mushroom tea?

How close are “adaptogens” to hallucinogens?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: GreyCat

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think of coffee as the product of something roasted, be that beans or roots like dandelion.
Tea is just the stuff soaked in hot water.

So, technically the chaga is a tea, but it's boiled in the water, and it drinks like coffee not tea.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Adaptogens are just things that seem to improve the bodies system iirc - Ginseng is said to be a strong source of adaptogens.

According to the original definition, they had to meet the following criteria:

1. They must be non-specific and help the body in various adverse conditions, such as physical or environmental stress.
  2. They must counter the physical impact of stress.
  3. They must not harm the usual working of the body.

With regards to fungi coffee like stuff - why not? I've had Camp chicory 'coffee' and Dandelion root 'coffee' and they taste alright. I suspect however as its new the Mushroom coffee will have a highly inflated price tag - just like things like Athletic Greens or LMNT electrolyte .

I've also eaten Fungi as a chicken flesh substitute and that worked plenty fine.

Reactions: Macaroon and Toddy

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
There’s a little bit of ‘bro science’ around mushrooms and coffee mixes of various different ones, mostly without any evidence to back up the health claims made.

That said, if it tastes nice then it’s good with me!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE