Catapults

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
I have several and hunt regularly with them, rabbits and squirrels beware!!!. as for power, my barnett with the upgraded bands I put on it will shoot a 36cal. lead musket ball thru a car winshield at 20ft. like a bullet , makes a evil dent in a 55gal drum from 25ft. that powerful enough for you??. heres the trick, If there is a supply store that sells supplies for commercial fishermen you can get to you can find surgical tubing large enough to fit over factory bands. sort of makes it qaud powered. I suppose If ypu could hit a deer in the head it would certainly kill it.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I've been wondering about a modern materials stonebow - rekon it'd be worth a try? - fibreglass limb, maybe rubber line too ( don't know what happens if you combine the two ). Using a trigger mechanism means being able to get a lot more power ( and range ) behind the shot. At the moment I'm still on vaguely thinking about the trigger mechanism for a foot cocked version.

Realgar

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
Ok you guys seem quite knowledgeable bout this, when using a Barnett Black Widow "gangster style" ie held sideways as recomendded by Barnet the elastic keeps flicking round and crackin my poor knuckles. Anyone know why? It doesn't happen when shooting from the traditional stance!! Silly gangsters... :roll:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Check you're still holding the pull back in direct line with the uprights....it's harder to tell when the arm is twisted.

I tend to only fire mine upright though....seems to be more accurate. :eek:):

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
your wrist is turning , when you release, watch your hand when you shoot see if thats it. also could be the angle at which you hold your bands in relationship to the grip ,if not parellel it will cause this problem.

hootchi

Settler
CLEM said:
Not to blow my own trumpet but i was ****e hot with a catapult as a kid,i never ever left the house without one round my neck and under my jacket.Ive had just about everything you can with a catapult bar rabbit.Its all down to practice really.A few months back i found my old catty in the shed put some new bands on it and away i went,30 mins later i was as good as ever.Like riding a bike i suppose.
Clem, Did you use proper ammo or pebbles? I would think it quite hard to get good consistency with pebbles?

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Braided condoms work. Braid three condoms for each side and attach to the catty. I use a black widdow (with doubled elastic) to take rabbit mostly. For ammo, I use aniseed balls. Although light in weight I don't have to worry about recovering 'evidence' as I would with steel ball bearings. Animals will polish off any aniseed balls left lying around. I have noticed though that they don't usually kill rabbits, just stun them so I need to shoot, run and pick up in one quick move. Having said that, I mostly just take the odd one if the opportunity presents itself.

Eric

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Eric_Methven said:
Braided condoms work. Braid three condoms for each side and attach to the catty. I use a black widdow (with doubled elastic) to take rabbit mostly. For ammo, I use aniseed balls. Although light in weight I don't have to worry about recovering 'evidence' as I would with steel ball bearings. Animals will polish off any aniseed balls left lying around. I have noticed though that they don't usually kill rabbits, just stun them so I need to shoot, run and pick up in one quick move. Having said that, I mostly just take the odd one if the opportunity presents itself.

Eric

I seem to remember seeing a picture of a kind of catapult that some african kids had knocked up, it was made from the neck of a coca cola bottle (glass :eek: ) with a condom duct taped on the wide end of it.

They dropped a stone through the neck onto the teat bit and pulled it back while holding the neck.

Let go and the stone (hopefully) shot through the neck and hit the target.......

On the other hand it could also smash the bottle that the kid was holding :eek:

I assume things have moved on and they perhaps use placky bottles now.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Eric_Methven said:
steel ball bearings. Animals will polish off any aniseed balls left lying around. I have noticed though that they don't usually kill rabbits, just stun them so I need to shoot, run and pick up in one quick move. Having said that, I mostly just take the odd one if the opportunity presents itself.

Eric
Luckily at work, they use 9mm ball bearings for rigs testing engine oil. I've literally got 1000's at home, and a gert great box stached at work :eek: Shhhhhh !!

Dorian Gra

May 19, 2005
Isle of Islay
I've killed a few rabbits and one phesant using my black widdow cataplut. It is very difficult to get the shot in the kill zone. Use one stone for ground targets and several for birds in the air. Also you can only really get into effective killing range if you have cammo gear by stalking you prey.

You are better buying an air rifle as catapults are not that effective at killing as they lack power and accuracy

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Dorian Gra said:
Also you can only really get into effective killing range if you have cammo gear by stalking you prey.

Nothing to do with having cammo gear Matey...it's to do with your movement and stalking skills...hone those and you could go out dressed as Mary Poppins and still bag things :D

S

Skippy

they really are wicked, i bought a black widow in a shop in hastings, and after an hours practice i was hitting rat sized targets from 50yards almost every time, well worth the effort and the money, make sure you get a few spare rubbers though, i wore mine out in a week (constant practice) nothing worse than a weekend with no rubbers :D

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
My last Widow was confiscated by a huge fisherman on mudeford quay, in exchange for a clip around the ear. Looking back, I can see that firing stones at outboard engines maybe wasn't the best practice....

Must get another...

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Justin Time said:
Bam

we want pictures! :D ;)

:D Don't tempt me....I've already offered another group of mates that I'll run through a French forest in nothing but a loin cloth flushing out wild boar for them!!!! :eek: I really need to think things through before I post!!! :p :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE