Bushcraft accidents research

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
"a kilogram of water (about a gallon)"

I know US gallons are smaller than the propper ones but that is nowhere close. 1 kg of water is 1 litre, which is 0.22ish UK gallons or 0.26ish US gallons.

I know nothing about the medical stuff tho'

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Can I just say... gal, since you've come onto this forum, you've contributed some top threads, always interesting and enjoyably written. Top lass :)

*blush* thank you.

Even in low humidity, do you really think you can evaporate a kilogram of water (about a gallon) quickly enough to do any good? Possibly if the victim is suffering Heat Exhaustion; but not if they're suffering Heatstroke. In either case, definitely not if the humidity is even as high as 50% (which is fairly low)

1 US gallon is approx ~3.8L, or 3.8KG, an imperial gallon is ~4.5L or 4.5kg. Obviously salt water is heavier than freshwater etc...

How much you can evaporate also depends alot on the air flow. Put a tshirt on, tip a bucket of tap water over the top, and go stand in the breeze. Now walk indoors and stand in the still air. Notice how one was a lot colder than the other? Having the air flow across the wet casualty can really help cool them. Conversely if you have a wet casualty you want to keep warm, protecting them from draughts is important.

Also, please note, water conducts heat from the body approx 25 better than air. I don't know the stats for ice vs water, my school girl physics says something about temperature gradients. Tho one then wonders how vasoconstriction effects the result.

I suppose what this is really bringing me upto, is can I have 12 volunteers please? I want to split you into 3 groups. I'll heat all of you up to 41°C internal body temp, the first group I'll put in ice, the second soak them in water, and the 3rd do nothing to. See which one has the core body temp reduce fastest. 12 Volunteers please? anyone? What do you mean ethics committee approval? Bah. was worth a try...

I know US gallons are smaller than the propper ones but that is nowhere close. 1 kg of water is 1 litre, which is 0.22ish UK gallons or 0.26ish US gallons.

Ah the joy of units. Just remember: UK pints of beer are bigger. *hic*

Julia

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Just clarifying a point but when folk talk of ice baths they would generally be talking of iced water rather than just ice. Iced water is much more efficient at cooling than just ice. Also running water would be much more efficient than standing water, so plonking someone in a flowing burn (keeping an eye on them of course) would be better than a shallow pool of still water as an insulating layer can build up.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Yeah. Sorry about that, misconverted. Still a lot of water to evaporate quickly enough to do any good.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....How much you can evaporate also depends alot on the air flow. Put a tshirt on, tip a bucket of tap water over the top, and go stand in the breeze. Now walk indoors and stand in the still air. Notice how one was a lot colder than the other? Having the air flow across the wet casualty can really help cool them.....

Yes, but only up to a point. And as you said, IF! there's a breeze. I've actually done that quite often (worn wet shirts, hats, etc.) to try to cool off. In a humid climate it just leaves you feeling, well, feeling wet. And steamy. Rather like a low grade steam bath.

It works at first, if the water you use to wet it is cold.

All these measures can help, but only if all the variables are right. The most important advantage of the ice packs or ice baths is their reliability. The most important disadvantage is their availability. Especially out in the wildnerness.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Would tepid water be available?

Depends. Which wilderness? Here cool water would be readily available and likely clean. Tepid (or even warm) water would be available from questionable sorces (swamps, shallow ponds, puddles, etc.) Granted you're nor intending to drink it, but I'd be leery of using it for much of anything here.

In an arid climate such as the desert southwest? Water of any kind would be scarce unless you're near a source. To be honest, in this environment, treatment options would be very limited:
-Try to find a shade
-Dig a shallow hole/trench to find cool earth to lie the patient on
-Loosen/remove excess clothing
-Fan the patient

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE