BcUK fly of the month April 2024

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Welcome to the April edition of the monthly fly tying club for all members of BcUK.

The idea is that each month we will come up with a different fly pattern. Then, people can have a go at tying their own interpretations and post their results here. Hopefully this will spark some discussion and inspiration for everyone to have a go at tying (and using) more and different flies!

For this months fly we have decided to try tying a…

GRANNOM DRY FLY

You have until the 31st 30th April to tie as many as you like however you feel and post results below. Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: William_Montgomery

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I am in the wrong part of the country to see Grannom. Never seen one, much less fished one. In fact, the last time I saw a local trout take a dry sedge was in the late 90s

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I am in the wrong part of the country to see Grannom. Never seen one, much less fished one. In fact, the last time I saw a local trout take a dry sedge was in the late 90s

That's interesting; the distribution map I have for Grannon (Brachycentrus subnubilus) is the whole of the UK except the East and South East. I suppose some areas of Bedfordshire may come into that.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
That's interesting; the distribution map I have for Grannon (Brachycentrus subnubilus) is the whole of the UK except the East and South East. I suppose some areas of Bedfordshire may come into that.
It might be a case of having not been in the right place at the right time, but it looks much darker than the caddis I normally see. The reading I have done suggest it lives in running water, and since I fish only stillwaters without streams nearby, that might explain it.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
:lmao:never said I wasn't going to give one a try! I caught some nice fish on a little deer hair caddis pattern while on holiday in November. Fishing running water. I do appreciate the entomology links though!

Reactions: FerlasDave

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Don't publish where that was, but I am curious! My own theory, based on my experience, is that most rivers and lakes don't actually contain the fictional creatures called "fish". They are merely the creation of the local tourist boards trying to pull in foolish visiting anglers

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
I’ve got to admit the first year I moved to Wales I had some sensational fish. I’ve never quite had a season like my first year here. But alas it never lasts but you get the occasional whumper like the post posted that keeps the interest going.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Don't publish where that was, but I am curious! My own theory, based on my experience, is that most rivers and lakes don't actually contain the fictional creatures called "fish". They are merely the creation of the local tourist boards trying to pull in foolish visiting anglers

To be honest, for me, a day on a fast moving river without trout beats a day on still water with trout.

Reactions: Robbi
Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
To be honest, for me, a day on a fast moving river without trout beats a day on still water with trout.
Coming from Cumbria most of my fishing was on still water and I really enjoyed it. Your definitely right about rivers though I can’t quite place what it is but they sure are more fun to fish.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I grew up chasing pike on the canal. Probably the most boring water in existence but I actually really miss it a lot!

I’m impressed by that wild brown though, I’ve not seen one that big south of Scotland. As Chris says, keep that location to yourself.

Reactions: SoldierPalmer

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I don’t fish, and I wouldn’t know where to start with making a fly, but I really enjoy these fly threads. :)

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Haven't done any flyfishing in about 30 years, might be a good time to restart.

We have less insect species here but on the other hand our mayflies fly until July-August.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE