Bow drill fail again

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Not as bad as it sounds really.
Decided to pop up to the woods today with the intention of becoming the master of the bow drill. Got my set ready, bedded in the hearth and things were looking good.

d0899399.jpg

I made the drill longer to suit my physical impairment (a big fat belly) and things were going great. Then the string started to slip on my drill and cut through itself. Quickly swapped it for a new piece of paracord. Well it was obviously good as it started slipping too and cut the drill in half.

A minor set back, I thought, and grabbed another stick, trimmed and shaped it and off we went again. Sadly the new bit of string didn't last either, so home I've come. Now to try and get hold of a bit of starter pull cord and I'm thinking of maybe making the drill a bit thicker.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
The spindle looks fine to me buddy... The trick with the bow is to find something thick enough to keep tension on the spindle, but not so thick that its cumbersome. Hazel makes a great bow.
You only need enough pressure to spin the spindle at the start. Watch for the char to develop in the notch (so you have a generous amount) and then go for the friction/heat.

The spindle length is ideally the reach you can spread your thumb/pinky. The bow from your armpit to your index finger tip.

hth, al.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
good trick ive always used for spindle thickness is to use one that is as thick as my thumb, the spindle you have inthe pic, looks a bit "punky" as well.

Power to you for sticking with it though, you will get there - promise

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Thanks guys. Kepis, I think you're right. Didn't want to cut a fresh bit with all the bits that were knocking around. I actually find the extra length makes the whole operation a bit more comfortable as my belly doesn't get in the way as much. No point in giving up, I'm just doing it for fun, if it's not fun any more, that's when I'll give up.

It will come at some point, maybe tomorrow in the sun room as the weather is looking pants. Now to find another drill..

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Glad your having this weekend Jack mate.
We can all have a practise next meet up, I know I need some.
As to the belly getting in the way , all you have to do to alter that is

Wait for it

Eat less sausages. :lmao:

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Had a go again this morning with a drill I was given after a course I did a few weeks back. It is a bit thicker than what I'm using and was really getting there with it. Only thing is it is a bit short for me, so if I get the chance to get up into the wood again today I'll cut myself a fresh bit of hazel and have a crack this evening.

Big Si

Dec 27, 2005
nottinghamshire
If you want a helping hand dry both bits of wood out in the bottom of the oven for an hour or two (Set the oven to it's lowest setting)
Si:ban:

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
When Swallow Jr 1 did it (with me helping a little bit) we used the paracord doubled and twisted. He got a world class ember. I have failed on all attempts. His set up included a limpet shell for lubrication. Which worked quite well in his block and subsequently broke in mine.

He likes sausages.
You need protein to build those bow-drill muscles.

So I suggest eating more sausages.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Swallow, I like the cut of your jib. I really do feel it is my physical deficiencies that are holding me back at the moment. But I'm going to crack it. Now to find my inhaler and girdle and a shoulder support.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I can lend you an inhaler Jack, plenty of them here at Hugo towers, now the girdle, would a red satin one with black trim do, as my maid doesn't seem to wear it any more.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
So, here's the thing, how do you change the name of a thread, cos it shouldn't be fail anymore.

d773048a.jpg

Oh yes, I got me an ember. Decided that my drill was polishing up and not making good contact with the hearth, so replaced the cord with a bit of 550 paracord, reshaped the drill, started a new hearth hole and made a new bearing block (had worn through the other). So pretty much started from scratch and not being able to spend too much time at it, I gave it one final blast and what do you know, it worked.

So what have I learnt from this? Well, a good cord makes a difference, also getting the tension right makes life a lot easier. It didn't need to be as taut as I thought. For me, the drill needed to be longer and a bit fatter than my thumb, also finding a rhythm that allows me to breathe made sure I could keep going at the vital time. Being out of breath also ment that was there was enough of a pause once the ember was smoking on its own to build up. So now I feel I can pop a tick against this one, next, well let's see if I an get the time of creating it down to less than three days.

Thanks for all the tips, advice and offers of cord.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE