Bow drill fail again

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Now I'm really enjoying this. Less than three minutes from cold to ember to fire. So fast I didn't even have time to grab my camera for the results. But did get this

IMG_0607.jpg

It's a mash of Hazel cat-tails harvested from the woodland the other day and drying in my pocket. Wood shavings from another failed carving project (let's not go into that one) and some white paper roll.

if you could see the smile on my face, there aren't enough sausages to fill it.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Thanks guys. I've enjoyed this. Nice to check another skill off, now to keep practicing and make a set as I go along. Starting to feel like a real bushcrafter now. A few more skills/projects to accomplish this year and I'll be a very happy camper.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Embers all round then. That's great news mate. Did another one this morning. At this rate I'll need to make another hearth. Got my eye on some willow close to home. Might make use of the winds tonight and get me a bit.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Do you want to try a bit of Ivy for a hearth Jack, think i have some spare down the work shop, if i have i'll bring it to the next meet with me

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great stuff matey, only just read this otherwise I'd have sent you a working set down to help, so well done for cracking on and sorting it out with gathered materials.
I still get the same buzz from it (and the worry it might not work!) :)

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Great stuff matey, only just read this otherwise I'd have sent you a working set down to help, so well done for cracking on and sorting it out with gathered materials.
I still get the same buzz from it (and the worry it might not work!) :)

Cheers mate, really appreciate the offer. Had another crack at it today and got another ember, but seem to be going through string like nobody's business. So how's tricks, anymore trips down south planned?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cheers mate, really appreciate the offer. Had another crack at it today and got another ember, but seem to be going through string like nobody's business. So how's tricks, anymore trips down south planned?

I'll bring you some proper string at the next meet, it's lasts for ages this stuff, i have once piece here that must be well over a year old and you can guess at how many bow drill fires i make in the course of a year, so that should stand as testament to it's durability.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire

Things are great at the mo, yes, popping down in July very close to yourself, so I'll pop in for that brew if your in.

As kepis said for repeated demos/practice some string is better than others.

Climbing accessory cord is very good, but nylon starter cord around 4mm is the best. Ive had two pieces that have lasted many years. I like to try others though and sisal is good for around 3 fires before it breaks and is stronger than most native cordage so it gives you an idea as to how difficult it is with nettles, willow ect. Rawhide was the way in the day I think as the leather Ive tryed is very strong but somewhat flexible.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Kepis, that would be fantastic. If I have a spare sausage, it's all yours.

Remind me at the next meet, just in case i forget to bring it to camp with me, that the cord is in my car glove box for you.

I think im going to have to fend you off our bangers, hoping to have Venison & Wild Mushroom and maybe Wild Boar & Cider

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE