Bow drill fail again

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
More than likely. I'm thinking of going ultra lightweight and doing a bit of a walk in. Think I'll slow the rest of you guys down too much on a full walk in because of my ankle. So planning a bimble in with a 35l bag. We'll have to see how things go as I ended up on crutches the other week when the ankle flared up. So sausage supplies will be at a minimum.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Thanks, getting to grips with it now. Just need to work out why I'm going through so much string. Got some heavy duty stuff from the last meet of the Sussex boys and another couple of embers. Next I'm going to cut a set on the day and get an ember in a day

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Are you finding that you are often bowing but the spindle is not spinning. The most common cause of string snapping/outerbraid melting is because too much downward pressure is being applied on the bearing block. This results in the string sliding on the spindle and heating up and eventually snapping.

I've got bows where the paracord on it has been there for years with minimal sign of wear, so paracord is more than sufficient and it's more down to technique of controlling the pressure and string taughtness.

Sounds like you are coming on in leaps and bounds though, so very well done indeed.

A.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Sounds about right. I also think I'm too tight in the first place. Think my spindle could be straighter and smoother to stop it dragging on the corners.

Hazel is a good alternative for a spindle as you can get good straight sections, peel the bark off and you then have a nice straight, smooth spindle. Aim for about 1" diameter.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I can get the ember going but struggle with getting it to fire what would be a good tinder bundle to use?

Depends on what you have got access to. Straw is used in BC courses generally. But anything in that vein like dead dried out ferns should work. Also consider the other factors like is the bundle too loose or tight around the ember, and the blowing technique and how long after you stop drilling you put it into the bundle.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Hazel is a good alternative for a spindle as you can get good straight sections, peel the bark off and you then have a nice straight, smooth spindle. Aim for about 1" diameter.

I use hazel drills and always leave the bark on; it helps the cord grip better I find. In fact I leave the bark on my willow drills too for the same reason.

L8starter

Forager
Mar 6, 2011
norwich, uk
i also need help please. i went on a course a while back with http://www.thecanoeman.com/bushcraft.asp where we were supplied with hearth and drill and made our own bows. i didnt manage to make fire using it but was so enthralled by flint and striker that i wasnt fussed.

i kept my kit tho. i tried to use it with teenagers this week and experienced the same difficulties as i did on the course. i can generate smoke in copious amounts but from the top of the drill not the base!! i wonder whether the hearth wood supplied was the wrong wood or whether ive just come across a tough bit of it.

the base of the drill and the hole i am trying to drill are beautifully smooth and seem to slide wheras the top of the drill is ferociously smoking and grinding away!. if the piece im using at the top were large enough i would just use it as a hearth but its a hand hold piece of unknown wood found lying around in the tech room at school

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
i also need help please. i went on a course a while back with http://www.thecanoeman.com/bushcraft.asp where we were supplied with hearth and drill and made our own bows. i didnt manage to make fire using it but was so enthralled by flint and striker that i wasnt fussed.

i kept my kit tho. i tried to use it with teenagers this week and experienced the same difficulties as i did on the course. i can generate smoke in copious amounts but from the top of the drill not the base!! i wonder whether the hearth wood supplied was the wrong wood or whether ive just come across a tough bit of it.

the base of the drill and the hole i am trying to drill are beautifully smooth and seem to slide wheras the top of the drill is ferociously smoking and grinding away!. if the piece im using at the top were large enough i would just use it as a hearth but its a hand hold piece of unknown wood found lying around in the tech room at school

Without knowing which woods you are struggling with, it is clear that the friction is at the wrong end of your kit. If the bottom of the drill and the hearth are polishing then they sound like the woods are too hard?

It might be helpful at this stage to cheat a bit like I did when I was understanding this subject; try a piece of pine broom handle as a drill on a piece of old pallet as a hearth. Use something like a limpet shell or even an egg cup as your hand bearing and then try again.

From my (fairly limited) experience of this method; once you have the correct woods/bearing block then it is actually a pretty straightforward and reliable method. If you struggle with the wrong materials (as I am sure most of us did) then it seems almost impossible.

Good luck!

L8starter

Forager
Mar 6, 2011
norwich, uk
thanks, yes, i would tend to agree but as it was a paid for course that supplied the drill and the hearthboard i would hope that isnt the reason!! i like the idea of an eggcup as bearing. altho i cant be sure, i would say drill is definitely pine and hearth looks similar. there are some old pallets lying around tho so eggcup and pallet is a good idea. writing the earlier post i was unsure tho why i havent just tried moving further along the hearthboard but keep trying to stick with the bit that doesnt want to drill!!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
thanks, yes, i would tend to agree but as it was a paid for course that supplied the drill and the hearthboard i would hope that isnt the reason!! i like the idea of an eggcup as bearing. altho i cant be sure, i would say drill is definitely pine and hearth looks similar. there are some old pallets lying around tho so eggcup and pallet is a good idea. writing the earlier post i was unsure tho why i havent just tried moving further along the hearthboard but keep trying to stick with the bit that doesnt want to drill!!

You make a good point there actually; I find that drilling in a fresh spot every time is much more reliable too. On the odd occasion I have used a notch twice but the second time is so much harder work.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Caught you up Jack. Pictures later.
Jr. is on your case as well.

@ Simon, no gas ovens were involved.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE