Bear Grylls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bear Grylls GREAT or RUBBISH

• Thumbs up, you think he's a legend

Votes: 89 36.0%
  • Thumbs down, he's a waste of TV space

Votes: 158 64.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
As has been pointed out a broken back is a case of degree's of broke. Bear broke his in 3 places and spent time laid up. How bad it was and where he did his healing all has to do with how well he can function now.

I have 2 slipped discs and still sky dive and other things. I know a friend of a friend in the military who had a broken back, he complained about persistent back ache and eventually the medics x-rayed him and found a broken vertebrae. He naturally compensated for the break with his muscle development, whilst he had his 'bad back' he was deployed, did some military parachuting and took part in a lot of active training. I know of at least two sky divers that have had technically broken necks that are now healed.

Survival expert: Check out what I said above about the TA SAS. At the three year point which Bear had reached he had just about finished his training. Never mind being a survival instructor he had probably only done his CS training along with the rest.

Climbing Everest: Definately an achievement, with £15K you too could do it if you were so inclined. A New Zealand company has set ropes all the way to the summit and it is available to anyone with the will, inclination and dosh.

Tourist he served in Africa on classified missions twice, and he was told he wouldnt walk again it was a serious back break, and TA selection is 24 months he SERVED with them for 3 years

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I broke my neck playing rugby in my teens - never knew about it until I was in my twenties when it was noticed in an x-ray for a strange sensation in my thumb (which turned out to be caused by my back twisting due to a knee injury causing the first rib to be pulled out of position trapping the nerves to my arm against my collar bone - nearly lost the use of my arm!).
It apears that if I had moved wrong at the time I could have had serious spinal damage but the flake that had been detached from the C6 (or is it 7?) had re-attached (in the wrong position) safely.
Oh the joys of the front row!
I have since enjoyed a career in outdoor persuits with no probs associated with my broken neck, my main probs coming from a sprained knee when I was 20....
Some injuries sound glamerous - some dont. Some injuries seem minor but have big "knock on" effects...
My most obvious injury is the left side of my face being "paralysed" thanks to nerve damage caused by a blow that did not hurt much at the time and did not even knock me down!
Oh the joys of martial arts!
OK I am a wreck but my "spinal Injury" is the least of it!
Perhaps Bears is along the same lines - I dunno...

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Did anyone catch the Sahara episode tonight at 10 I think it was? Why the heck did he say to bury a snake's head? Whats the point? Obviously someone would see it and wouldn't get stuck by the fangs and the only way the venom can work is if it gets in your bloodstream. Camel plop dries in mere seconds out there and sand is like flour. The snake would be sucked dry in an hour in the mid day sun.

I bet he was in the army catering corp lol I had a guy who threatened me at a party once, because I had other views on Iraq than 'lets get in there and gut stomp everyone'! He said he was in the Paras n he was gonna get all his mates from the barracks on me. Turned out he was in the Catering Corp, of which got me in histerics, not to mention he was about 5'7" with dyed hair that made him look like a skunk.

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
I like his style of presenting, especially when he gets a bit tongue tied and laughs it off! It makes it more natural, and his little witicisms are great.

The cave lady is pretty hot too!:naughty:

Production level is pretty low, but the info is great!
Not sure about his shirt though ( a bit frilly..lol )
And yes I wouldn't mind spending some time in a cave with that Cave Lady!
;) ;) ;)

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
One of the big differences between Ray Mears and Bear grills is Ray enjoys the outdoors the freedom and simplicity whereas Bear seems to hate it as he is always trying desperatly quickly to get away and back to supposed civilisation. Ive seen his site im not that impressed he is a fit guy who obviously has the cash to go on these adventures i wish i could. Lets face it you all probably know a handful of people who could do what he has done if they had the time and the cash, ive met and worked with fellas and girls from particular military units none of them act like he does and i am sure they certainly woulnt use it as a stepping stone for their own advancement. Im with Red and the gang who think he is irresponsible in what he does and should have a disclaimer on his shows as that is all they are shows not to be confused with instructional programmes, after all WWF wrestling has a disclaimer on it as kids try everything they see they will do the same here and injuries or worse will happen!

Ray Mears, Bushtucker Man, Les stroud, Ron Woods are the "Olympic Wrestlers" of Outdoor survival. While Bear is pure `WWF`!!!!!!!
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I love the one where he tries to eat the goat testicle. I jus dont think he liked the idea of having another creatures genetic material bursting in his mouth. It made my gut sink in n my legs curl up when they chopped em off the goats carcass though:eek: poor dead goat.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Kinda, me think I know how it is to
new_swallow_pic_guestbook.gif
, sort of...

gets me coat..

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
This type of thread is begining to bore me now, it`s been done to death.
Bear Gryles has one style and Mr Mears has another, choose what suits you.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE