Your own backyard [PICTURE HEAVY]

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
Hello folks. :)

I live in The Dales and since I lack the funds at the minute to get back to the big hills and mountains in Scotland I thought I'd go for a little stroll today over the moors around my local village. Nothing super interesting or bushcraft related but I haven't been over this way before so I took my camera with me and got a few snapshots I thought I may as well share.

Looking across Airedale

This was odd. The door was chest height and it was perhaps big enough for one to sleep in. I'm guessed it could have been one of these lamb watchers huts. If what I've been told is true then farmers used to have little outbuildings where they would keep watch during the night to be on hand to help deliver any lambs that had difficulty in coming out. Anyone else seem something similar?

I know nothing about fungi but am I right in thinking this is a Fly Agaric mushroom?

Meeting of Four Lane Ends

Rosebay Willowherb. Always nice to see this colorful plant.

Lund's Tower, built in 1897 to mark Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee.

View towards the local 'villages'. They're busy with road traffic and are more like busy towns than villages, but they have their nice spots if you know where to find them.

Having climbed the dark and narrow spiral staircase to top of the tower, I took this picture which is looking towards Wainman's Pinnacle, raised in 1815 to mark the end of the Napoleonic Wars.

Wainman's Pinnacle

The footpath on the way back went through a field but over the wall to the far side I saw this wood and fancied having a peek over the wall. Look what I found! A fine example of lazy and ignorant campers, really irritates me when I see this.:nono:

Has anyone else recently felt strapped for cash and wandered about closer to home? If so lets have some pictures shared!:D

Last edited:

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
Just put an edit note in the first post spoony. The links are all right and I used the image tags correctly, they just won't show in the forum for some reason so I just put the links up. Unless there is some magic word I didn't use? :eek:

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
Oops, I left my camera on 12m settings and it racks them out at 4000 x 3000. Oh dear. What's a forum embed link? Darn, and here I was thinking I knew how to work these forums. :D

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What's a forum embed link? Darn, and here I was thinking I knew how to work these forums. :D

When I click on your links there are other "Embed" options on the right of the Imageshack screen which seem to work. Can't help any more mate as I use photobucket me sen :)

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
Haha, holy crap that is huge. When I click the link it takes me to a view page where the image is smaller at least. It'll just have to be the links, sorry. I'll remember to change my size settings for next time. :D

Last edited:

Metatron

Sep 12, 2010
Worthing
4315948799_b9d773589c_z.jpg

4760422689_dc587f8a61.jpg

3603345689_c3816d4e34.jpg

3848685594_74fa7ef3fa.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/m3747r0n/

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
Nice pics. Thanks for posting them. Yes, that is a Fly Agaric mushroom. Good subject to post about too. One thing i have learned by browsing this forum over the last few months is that you don't need to set out on a major expedition to Snowdonia or the Lakes to have a good time, you can have a fascinating day out (or two) in - as you put it - your own backyard. I have borrowed Mrs Bivouac's digital camera and hopefully will have some pics of my own to share in the not-too-distant future. I only hope they will be as good as yours!

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
Nice pics. Thanks for posting them. Yes, that is a Fly Agaric mushroom. Good subject to post about too. One thing i have learned by browsing this forum over the last few months is that you don't need to set out on a major expedition to Snowdonia or the Lakes to have a good time, you can have a fascinating day out (or two) in - as you put it - your own backyard. I have borrowed Mrs Bivouac's digital camera and hopefully will have some pics of my own to share in the not-too-distant future. I only hope they will be as good as yours!

By the way, your pictures came out fine for me. I'm having some problems of my own whereby my replies don't always get tagged on to the posting they are intended for. It's a little hit-and-miss at the moment.

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire

Thanks bivouac for your kind words :) It wasn't until I went away on my first backpacking trip just recently that I realised how much there is to explore in the area you live in and how much I took it for granted. It may not have massive mountains or huge hills where I live, but what it lacks in grandeur it makes up for by having a character and feel all of its own. Although I would obviously prefer to be sweating it up a Munro if I could choose! I was only out for about 5 hours but the sun was shining and it was nice to get away from the noise of the traffic into the woods and fields. I think my next trip will be a little overnight camp in the local woods to re-test the bivvy bag and then after that I fancy a little weekender in the Three Peaks of Yorkshire. :D

Pleased with myself that I remembered that mushroom, I think it was actually from a guidebook for the West Highland Way when I briefly saw a photo of it. Looking forward to your pictures bivouac, be sure to post them.

Last edited:

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2009
england
nice pics beardy adam
i really like that first woodland one, is that a trickle of water i see? cant quite make it out, either way fantastic pic/pics

im off for a ride this morning so ill try and get a couple of woodland and landscape shots

edit
didn't really get any pics, most were rubbish
i got 1 half decent one and a couple of trees i posted in nice big old tree thread, or something along those lines
P9130078.jpg

Last edited:

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
nice pics beardy adam
i really like that first woodland one, is that a trickle of water i see? cant quite make it out, either way fantastic pic/pics

im off for a ride this morning so ill try and get a couple of woodland and landscape shots

Thank you :)

Yes there was a very small stream in the wood which runs down to join the much larger beck in Sutton and eventually joins the River Aire.

Last edited:
Really nice pictures, I enjoyed them very much. I love the history lessons about the areas over there. My wanders seldom start more than a half-hour commute from my drive way and often less, but yes I am feeling the money crunch too and some wanders are simply out my back door and straight into the woods. Not as interesting that way...lived here for twenty years now... but relaxing sometimes none the less.

BTW thanks for posting that large file Rich, it was one of my favorite shots and at that size I just had to snag it for a desk top :)

Last edited:

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
Glad you enjoyed the photos Mistwalker :) I know what you mean about not as interesting if you have lived there for many years. I didn't actually know what the towers were used for until I came back from my wander and searched for some information on the internet. In fact, both of the structures are known locally by most people as the 'Salt and Pepper pot' (no plural), so it was nice for me to discover the correct names.

Tenderfoot - Nice picture of some fine looking trees there. :)

It's a cool feeling to make a new discovery. I have now started branching out sometimes to state parks a couple of hours away. I have always been an explorer and love to find new views but lately I am making new discovers in plant life right here close to home and enjoying that very much...and learning just how much I had ignored during all the years seeking solace in the woods. For years I was just satisfied with the peace, solitude, and shelter from the outside world they offered. I knew some plants by site but not that many. Now that I have gotten older...and my life more peaceful...I am taking more interest in just what all is out there. Of course in my defense I think I would have done this sooner were digital cameras and the internet available to me in my younger days. When I tried in my younger days I just couldn't glean enough information to suit me from ink drawings of plants...there are just too many similar plants here.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Nice pics Adam, I grew up and now work in sutton/cross hills - so know the area well. Sutton clough was my playgound as a kid :)

Have you ever walked to the hitching stone?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE