Woodlore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
Right i am leaving for woodlore work experience on sunday and so need to start gathering stuff together and packing.
im stuck on food though :eek: what sort of stuff should i take ?? im going for a week
thanks leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Pasta and rice keeps well, you can get dried meals that you add water or milk too and you just heat it up and scoff the lot! Get some whole salami that you can skewer and cook over the fire, bacon keeps well if you get proper stuff from a farm shop. Take some bannock mix, dried eggs from tesco, milk powder and brew making kit. Cheese is a nice one for when staying out. So long as you take small packs of cheese, it will be OK as you can get little packs of gouda, enough for one meal.

The best thing is to prowl the aisles of the local shopping centre, you find all sorts!

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks guys, i think i'll make up a shopping list
so far:
salami
beef jerky
dried meals
bacon
bannock mix

leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
what should a brewkit include and what is a good container to keep it all in ?? as i would love to make one up
leon

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
what should a brewkit include and what is a good container to keep it all in ?? as i would love to make one up
leon

Whatever you like to drink? Tea, coffee, fruit teas, hot chocolate sachets, sugar, etc etc.

Air tight tubs with clip lids work well for me.

If you need food for the week a mix of short life and long life food would is fine. Obviously use the raw ingredients first and the airsealed or preserved stuff next ;)

jars of sauces are good

pasta
rice
couscous

Salami
smoked ham
bacon
sausages
steak (for first night - YUM)

Some veg will be useful

Museli mixed with milk powder makes an easy breakfast that just needs water

eggs
cheese
couple of small uht milk cartons

pitta bread
naan breads
bannock

spices/herbs/garlic/onion

Chocolate or any "treat" food for when you need a little boost, trail mix is good, dried fruit etc

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Brew kit is simply what you get in the kitchen, but smaller! Some teabags, some coffee, some sugar, some milk, in either powder form or condensed. A few oxo cubes for a beefy warming drink, and maybe a few cupasoups. Try getting some plastic screw lid type containers such as small nalgene containers, less chance of an explosion and coffee covered sleeping bag!

Even if you don't drink tea and or coffee, it's worth taking some. You never know who may visit your site and it is always polite to offer a drink!

rabsyboy

May 26, 2007
you can get some "brunches" - which are potato and bacon or potato, mushroom and bacon, in packs similar to the army rat pack meals - you get them from sainsburys for about a quid a packet (though that was a couple of years ago) - if you live in dewsbury, I can tell you which aisle it used to be on :)

Also recommended - pot noodle - but take the solid bit of noodle out of the pot, with the sauces, and wrap it in cling film - it takes up a quarter of the room this way. Just make it in your cooking pot when you need it.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok thanks, will make up a brew kit tonight and will have to go shopping to get the rest, what sort of cooking equipment should i take ? i have a 12cm billy and a swedish army trangia, obviously a frying pan would be usefull but i dont know if we can have fires each to cook on, what do ya reckon ?
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Keep your kit simple mate, a billy can and the swedish army trangia will be more than enough. I reckon you will be using open fires, maybe they are communal but if you want to go and cook by yourself, the trangia allows you to do this. You could also cook in the zebra billy and have the trangia pot full of water on the go so you can make a brew at the drop of a hat. Have they not sent you a kit list to take with you? Look on the woodlore website as they have loads of kit lists on there.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i am taking my camera and will do a little write up on here when i get back
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE