Woodlore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Not good advice but... I would take a few beef and tomato pot noodles. Above all enjoy yourself and if you meet Ray - in the words of Basil Fawlty.... Don't mention the new shirt!

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
I can't be the only one who enjoys Smash with some salami sliced into it :p, that and super noodle type things, I usually go for chicken flavour noodles and add an extra chicken cuppa soup to make a decent ramen type noodle soup.

I usually start the day with porridge (flavoured with fruit, honey, moths ;)... or whatever comes to hand) and fresh coffee

Then graze through the day on flapjacks, trail mix and cups o'T whenever I get near to a boiling kettle

And finish with a hearty hot supper

Always in reserve somewhere are a couple of star bars, kendal mintcake and nutrigrain, tho' I feel like i cheated if i resort to them.

That along with whats already been mentioned will have you eating like a king for the duration

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

I wouldn't worry too much about "posh food". Take what you like that doesn't weigh a tonne. Are you having to carry your gear in or is land rovered? The slami the guys are referring to are whole salamis in plastic bags - most big supermarkets have em.

Smash is easy (get individual packets).

Pot noodles have been mentioned.

I like chewy cereal bars - they take no effort.

Cheese is good - individual ones as said

Good old "beans and sausage" or "big breakfast" in a tin

Tinned "bacon fry" or corned beef.

Dried onion is nice (comes in a bag). Smash, dried onion mixed to a thick paste. Chop in half a tin of corned beef and fry the lot - yum!

Think about things like tortillas or nan brads - come in placcy bags and dont go stale. Great for ripping up and scooping up pot noodle with

Isotonic lucozade powder is a good pop / squash substitute.

Get some of that instant porridge you mix with hot water if you like it

Packet of muffins or crumpets do welll toasted.

Cheese spread in a tube or small peanut butter are good

MARMITE (drinks, spreads etc)

Have fun

Red

Ramon

Dec 3, 2006
County Donegal Ireland
Hi Leon, I'm not long back from a woodlore course, if you are taking any dried food such as dried eggs, rasins, flour, in fact anthing in packets, put them in somthing mouse proof! three tents were eaten into including mine, and much of my dried food was contamiated with mouse poo, and ended up in the bin. In the end I had to hang my food from a tree in a waterproof bag, you'd have thought I was in bear country.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Leon you could have a look in the cookware section of a supermarket and see if they've
got any "Biokips" or "Lock & Lock" type plastic boxes - although I think probably any
plastic box with a good seal would do. They're not expensive - but to buy one for each
dried food would be - so perhaps you could just get one or two larger ones and bag your
items and then put them in there.

I've got mice at home and they don't seem to be able to smell the contents or they're
unable to chew through the plastic boxes.

The hanging food from a tree sounds like a good idea also - definitely the end of a
branch or whatever as they can climb anything. I think my mice have a pulley
system in place to winch them on to my counter-top or perhaps a trampoline somewhere
as they make absolutely no sound scrabbling up the cupboards - I am not quite sure
how they are doing it ;)

Re: cheese - I think there was a funny bit in one of the Adrian Mole stories where he
goes camping and finds that cheese was the only thing that didn't leak or require a tin
opener :D I don't think mice featured though...

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
ok thanks, will make up a brew kit tonight and will have to go shopping to get the rest, what sort of cooking equipment should i take ? i have a 12cm billy and a swedish army trangia, obviously a frying pan would be usefull but i dont know if we can have fires each to cook on, what do ya reckon ?
leon

When I did my Fundamental in 2004 we had a guy called Alex in the group who worked for Woodlore, and IIRC did it work experience too. He was located at the instructors part of the camp, and they did have their own fire. The course students had a communal fire underneath the parachute.

Don't know if they changed it since then.

Anyway, have a great time mate - don't forget to take some pictures ;)

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks for the heads up, i think we have one of them boxes but will get another, them pesky little mice wont get my food lol
leon

Smoked sausage from Asda, and it dosen't need to be refrigerated. Smash, dried onions, dry cured bacon, tubes of primula cheese, boil in the bag rice, a tin of Stag chilli con carni, some bags of pasta in sauce, sachets of John West tuna, curry powder and bannok mix. Or, of course, you will probably have the opportunity of nipping to tesco during your week. I know we were able to order items from the Supermarket when I did my Fundamental course last year.
have a great time leon and post a few pictures.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE