Woodlore Sneaking Around?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed W

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
West Yorkshire
Hi,

Has anyone else noticed something a bit weird on the woodlore site? Lately a lot of new products have been popping up that have been talked about on here :rolleyes: . For example pine tar soap has just been put on their site and I'm sure there was a thread about it not so long ago. There are other things aswell that I've noticed but maybe it's just me.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
lets think about it.. Woodlore sell to bushcrafters, now where do you do your market research for people who like to spend time alone in the middle of the wilderness?? unless of course there was an online forum where thousands of them discuss much of their kit likes and dislikes.. ooh wait there is :rolleyes:

i think its madness to suggest woodlore don’t keep a close eye on what goes on here.. they would be stupid not to.

would be nice if they were to participate though.. and might also dispel some rumours and bad feeling, but i doubt it will happen. :cool:

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
As mentioned it would not be in their interests to ignore this forum in anyway whats so ever. It would be nice of them to acknowlodge they do buy putting a link to here as many other schools have.

This idea that they were watch hit home while watching RM's last series. There was alot of little bits that had been mentioned in past threads and I'm sure comments about the previous 5 episodes has been read. RM himself made a comment in the mountain man one about Bushcraft in the backgarden been well worth while before venturing out in to the wilderness(not an exact quote)

This has come up so often it struck a cord. It's more then likely a coinsitence but I would like to think that he listens to his audience.

James

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Graham_S said:
pine tar soap is reccomended in one of RMs' books (bushcraft iirc) so i don't think we can take all the credit.

'Zackly. It's a bit circular, innit? After all, who here wouldn't give any credit to Ray/Woodlore for at least some of their knowledge, skills, attitude or interest vis a vis Bushcraft.

I'd like to think they drop in from time to time, and can understand why they'd wish to do so in mufti - how many PMs otherwise :eek:

I suspect they also pick up the odd idea, and hope that they take any critcism in the largely good faith it's intended. I trust they also realise that we briefly host "passers by" who may strongly express inappropriate sentiments (or at least ones the rest of us disagree with). I'd certainly hope they don't regard us as anything but supportive.

Jim.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Spacemonkey said:
I bet there will be SS Swedish Trangia mess kits there in a couple of weeks....

Nah!! I heard some guy just placed a MASSIVE order and there's now a global shortage... Swedish Army on cold tack... not a decent brew in sight.. :D

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Spacemonkey said:
I bet there will be SS Swedish Trangia mess kits there in a couple of weeks....

I doubt it - Ray had one knocking around the office even in the days when I worked for them - he didnt like em then so I cant see that changing now ........ but you never know!

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Gary said:
I doubt it - Ray had one knocking around the office even in the days when I worked for them - he didnt like em then so I cant see that changing now ........ but you never know!

Purely out of curiosity, why not?

I know they aren't exactly "natural", but I'd have thought the simplicity and (potentially) eco-friendly fuel would have appealed, somehow.

I mean, I'd rather have a fire, too, but that's a real no-no in the Peak park (quite apart from the shortage of firewood) and the trangia somehow seemed the obvious alternative.

I know Ray mentions Coleman petrol stoves in his earlier books. Would he truly prefer we burn dead dinosaur juice than alcohol, I wonder?

Or am I about to be offered a reason for buying (yet)another stove :D ?

Jim.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
JimH said:
Purely out of curiosity, why not?

I know they aren't exactly "natural", but I'd have thought the simplicity and (potentially) eco-friendly fuel would have appealed, somehow.

I mean, I'd rather have a fire, too, but that's a real no-no in the Peak park (quite apart from the shortage of firewood) and the trangia somehow seemed the obvious alternative.

I know Ray mentions Coleman petrol stoves in his earlier books. Would he truly prefer we burn dead dinosaur juice than alcohol, I wonder?

Or am I about to be offered a reason for buying (yet)another stove :D ?

Jim.

No idea Jim - it was in the corner of the office and I asked what it was he said its from the swedish army and its crap - nuff said I didnt ask further.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Although I love my army Trangia, the weight is a definite downside. Even the aluminium ones weigh over a kilogram with fuel.

Interestingly in his earlier book Mr Mears pictures the Coleman petrol stove.

jim_w

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2005
York
He probably doesn't like them because the aren't big enough to cook one of his gut-busting breakfasts. ;) :D

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
jim_w said:
He probably doesn't like them because the aren't big enough to cook one of his gut-busting breakfasts. ;) :D

Hehe. Actually, I think of Ray's waxing and waning as being a bit of a seasonal/cyclical thing. Been there and back at least twice myself, anyway, so no pot-kettle-black type observations about waistlines from this quarter :D :D

Actually, they are a bit b*l*x for frying, IMO...

Jim.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
He does not have to be here, he writes bout the kit in his books and use it on tv and then people discuss it here and the place to get it is at his website. Soon after the episode of him canoein in Canada wearing a Tilley hat he starts selling them on his website. Pine tar soap is mentioned in his books, but he does not tell about other natural soaps...

Ray Mears is big buisness and he does not even have to make any commercial all he have to do is wear it on tv and then sell it on his website.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
zackerty said:
Let's see if this thread is true..
Right, here goes...

What would be REALLY nice, is to have half price knives, firestarters, jackets, sleeping bags, books etc.... :D

This is from the same Woodlore e-mail Sandbender was talking about in the AW Woodlore knife (225 GBP) thread:

SPECIAL OFFER:

200g Ullfrotte Top in Black or Green - special price £35.00 (plus P&P) - usual
price £42.50 but only while stocks last!

A fabulous zipped turtle-neck top designed to wear next to the skin. Extremely
comfortable and very versatile.

Now, what did you say about the prices? ;) :D :rolleyes: :cool: :eek: LOL

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE