Wild River with Ray Mears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Very disappointed!! Bland to say the least, a bit like muzak in a lift :( :( Neither a bushcraft or naturalist programme. On a same par as BG and Obama!!!

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Well I enjoyed it, yeah it wasn't the bushcraft instructional we'd all like but was a rare hour of television I found engaging.

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Well I enjoyed it, yeah it wasn't the bushcraft instructional we'd all like but was a rare hour of television I found engaging.
Me too. Not sure what people were expecting but I liked it.

For his other stuff watch the Travel channel - on 4 times a day at the mo. All his stuff on a never ending loop it seems.
BG on Quest everyday as well

DogRose

Forager
Apr 19, 2015
Isle of Wight
Me too. Not sure what people were expecting but I liked it.

For his other stuff watch the Travel channel - on 4 times a day at the mo. All his stuff on a never ending loop it seems.
BG on Quest everyday as well

If you watch the trailer in the OP I think it's fair to have expected more bushcraft.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I enjoyed it. I'm sure every episode wont be the same. Hope he does at least one river up here. I fancy building a coracle to use on some stretches of my own wee local river. Not sure i'd feel safe on something like the Clyde in one. The Calder, at least if i fall out i'll be touching the bottom and not cloth..maybe?

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
I enjoyed it. I'm sure every episode wont be the same. Hope he does at least one river up here. I fancy building a coracle to use on some stretches of my own wee local river. Not sure i'd feel safe on something like the Clyde in one. The Calder, at least if i fall out i'll be touching the bottom and not cloth..maybe?
It's just a one off show Stevie777. Felt like a pilot for a series but it is what it is...

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/wild-river

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
I watched the wild river. Very impressed with it. Would love him to do the river Lea, starts about a 20 minute walk from my house.

As for TV shows on bushcraft, thanks to the likes of bear grylls and dual survival, people want to see extreme survival shows, not the shows that give people an insight to the wonderful world of bushcraft.

Hopefully I'll get his autograph and a picture when he does his tour, and I'd personally thank him for the inspiration he's given me to pursue bushcraft despite my disability.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Personally, with the title of the program in mind, I would have liked to see more about the river itself!
There are masses of bits of river that are more photogenic than someone putting up a tarp (putting it up with a massive sag in one side at that!)
Equally I would have liked more of the wildlife that could be inferred from the program title and less of the half shown hand drill firelighting...
I just feel that too much was attempted for the time available - which ensured that nothing was covered in any depth.. not the River, not the folk who work on it, not the Wildlife, not the History, not the Geography - nuttin'
An opportunity that failed to deliver ....

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Seems to me that now you lot have been told off for picking on BG all the time, you're now picking on RM !! good grief, there's no pleasing some folks.

I thought it was a cracking wee program and although it was a one off, I really hope he does more rivers.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I agree Robbi, it's a light entertainment/information programme and very enjoyable to watch, not meant to be a religious experience with St Mears ! :)

Cheers, Paul

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A comment on the Hereford Times facebook page asked why they hadn't shown the dams... Oopps...

As I recall being told - traditionally the river was dammed to give greater water depth to allow the barges (as featured in the prog) water depth to ascend the river when heavy laden with cargo... a practice that some objected to as they got in the way of boats coming down the river.... the practice was abandoned. This lead to the navigation being abandoned as inefficient.
Supposedly the broken weir above Hay (not featured in the prog) is the remains of such a dam ...
The weir at Rhayader, with its fish ladder, was not mentioned either...

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
A bit flat and slow for me, Wanted to see more of the river and less of a land rover full of camping kit. Enjoyed others earlier on this year.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
As I recall being told - traditionally the river was dammed to give greater water depth to allow the barges (as featured in the prog) water depth to ascend the river when heavy laden with cargo... a practice that some objected to as they got in the way of boats coming down the river.... the practice was abandoned. This lead to the navigation being abandoned as inefficient.
Supposedly the broken weir above Hay (not featured in the prog) is the remains of such a dam ...
The weir at Rhayader, with its fish ladder, was not mentioned either...

Interesting, thank you John, will keep a lookout for these features along the routes I drive.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
In the middle of watching it now on catch up... its not a half bad programme... better than the other rubbish thats been on over Christmas.

What surprises me is if that had been a regular bushcrafter on YouTube, how many comments about camping 100 yards from their car or the scar left from the open fire would there have been? Not to mention chopping a couple of branches from a tree to put a tarp up... blimey, if it had been on YouTube, it'd would've had dozens of negative comments within the first few hours of people discovering it.

Don't feel so daft about taking a table and chair with me when I camp out now... if its good enough for Ray and all that.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Perhaps if he'd chosen something other than a Landy he may have been able to get a longer program; an hour trouble free is about par for the course with the old dog! :rolleyes:

There are a million wild life presenters on TV and we don't need another one and to be honest he hasn't got the character that Attenborough has and never will have you can see how much he relies on other people to talk about the wildlife while he just asks questions .. It was all a bit of a yawn.. bring back the proper bushcraft shows ..

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Hmm I know what you are saying, but I actually think it a strength to ask short, straightforward questions and let the experts talk without interruption.

On the programme itself I thought it was pleasant enough with about the right level of detail for mainstream TV. It certainly made me want to visit / revisit some places.

I can't see any TV company commissioning any pure "bushcraft" show (whatever that means) anytime soon though, but I reckon there was enough in Wild River to give a little flavour for the 'average viewer'.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE