Wild River with Ray Mears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Interest in Ray's programmes have gone downhill enormously. A lot of it is due to ITV messing around with the schedules and constantly cancelling them. I doubt we'll see a golden age of Mearsy programmes again :(

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
JohnathanD I agree with you, but I do wonder how bothered he is, and before anyone starts on me I really love watching his programs but ITV will ruin a good future wildlife presenter.

Sent from somewhere in a galaxy far far away...

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
Interest in Ray's programmes have gone downhill enormously. A lot of it is due to ITV messing around with the schedules and constantly cancelling them. I doubt we'll see a golden age of Mearsy programmes again :(

I don't think cannels like ITV are interested in those sort of programmes anymore. They want TV that brings in big audience numbers so they can sell advert space around the programme for top money.

Maybe if one of the documentary channels take him on we might see more of him. Nature/bushcraft/how people live in remote parts of the world that sort of programme. There are plenty of those sorts of programmes around that would benefit from someone like him with his vast knowledge.

It might be that he's had offers and he's just not interested at the moment. If he's been messed around in the past by TV company's it might have put him off. Or maybe he's made his money and he would just like to sit back and enjoy his life now. Could not blame him if that's the case.

I hope we do see more of him on TV, and iv got his show on Friday night set to record. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
I'm almost a bit annoyed that this series is finally being aired as I was planning a trip down the wye with my brother in march. Not that I'm so hipster that I won't do anything that's made it to mainstream (stream pun intended) but I'm worried that with more popularity, the more people likely to be doing this making the idea of escaping people for a while less likely. Also more chance of clueless idiots having a go and worsening relationships between sympathetic landowners and wild campers.

Oh well well see!

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
It seems that Ray Mears has had to dumb down his stuff from bushcraft to more of a nature programme stylee.

Really like his half hour series about survival round the world and thought the one about food, with that crazy professor was fantastic.

I keep thinking I'll see someone putting together a god bushcraft series on the community channel on Sky.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
I would like to think that the producers have a finger on the pulse and with the floods we are experiencing ,maybe not a good time to market such a programme ,but i think its not out of compassion more bang for buck , wild rivers - with real people living with the consequences is all over the TV , too much competition for the PR team !! jog on ray :) :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well if that was a "Wild River" they avoided all the wild bits of water!
No shots of the rapids above Rhayader, no "Hell Hole", no Yat - he took his canoe but only paddled the flat (boring) bits...
No "Wild River" but a bit of "Wildlife along a river"
Some nice wildlife bits, a nod to bushcraft but a bit lightweight for mt taste - trying to cover too much in too short a prog I guess...

DogRose

Forager
Apr 19, 2015
Isle of Wight
No shots of the rapids above Rhayader, no "Hell Hole", no Yat - he took his canoe but only paddled the flat (boring) bits...
Some nice wildlife bits, a nod to bushcraft but a bit lightweight for mt taste - trying to cover too much in too short a prog I guess...
Yes, it was more mild river than wild river, and not nearly enough bushcraft. A few interesting parts but a bit disappointing really, ah well, at least Ben Fogle wasn't presenting it.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Needed at least 5 minutes more development of each storyline. Overly condensed in my humble opinion.

The price of the need to accommodate commercial breaks and/or a loosing of way in programme remit?

Lovely river and enchanting landscapes.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I didn't see the Wild River programme because I was still watching an afternoon of repeated RM shows on the travel channel. I didn't rate these all that highly when they were first shown, but in comparison with what has been on offer from another well known presenter they were brilliant in their teaching content and the respect shown to the indigenous holders of the knowledge of skills. And no animals were needlessly slaughtered to demonstrate a presenter's party tricks.

I look forward to watching the RM programme later, but agree with the comments above that he needs to find a new format to refresh what he has to offer. I think Lars Felt could offer some pointers on learning to treat our environment with respect. The Chief Scout sets a poor example in my view.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Probably been edited to hell. Ray is not uber macho enough for TV these days.

He should stick to making the TV HE wants, then sell it in DVD or online subscription format. i would buy it. As i said before. I would rather watch Ray chop wood for 2 hours straight than watch 4 minutes of that Macho survival guff they pass as entertainment these days.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Well it was better than Eastenders but not as good as his Bushcraft series being rerun back to back on another channel at the same time.

Are we going to see Ray retire into a more Naturalist type role and leave the more sensational stuff to the younger generation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Well it was better than Eastenders but not as good as his Bushcraft series being rerun back to back on another channel at the same time.

Are we going to see Ray retire into a more Naturalist type role and leave the more sensational stuff to the younger generation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I think only he can answer that maybe we should ask him via Woodlore. I think it is always his first love and if we look back at his most recent t.v. thats been the focus. I wouldn't think he'd be someone that could be coerced to do a t.v. show if he didn't agree with the focus or direction. I would also imagine he'd want to be heavily involved in the final editing process. Happy to be proved wrong on that I only know of him from t.v. and his books. Maybe he thinks he's gone as far as he wants to with Bushcraft on t.v. or simply he can't get a contract to make that type of t.v. show. I still watch his older series for a bit of entertainment and inspiration and still enjoy them. I'd like to see him do some updated, if there's scope, for his survival series but that's a personal interest for me. I haven't watched his show from last night as we had guests round but once I'm clear I'll sit and watch it in peace.

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
United Kingdom, Near Hinckley
I have a feeling he is looking to find a different niche on TV, kinda taking over from Attenborough.

It was enjoyable and not meant to be a bush craft show. The wild meant the wild life and not the rapids. It was nice to see how various groups are helping the animals back to the area which have been lost.

While everyone on this forums has a high level of interest in bush craft, a show on a main channel is meant to get people interested in the outdoors not teach the skills.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE