what's your prefered pocket knife? + pics!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I'm looking for the all metal one wihout the amrlin spike, is there an official one or do a few people make them?

what's the blade thickness on the joker? and what type of stainless steel do they use?

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Here's what i currently chose from.. All are UK legal except the Clasp knife.

GEDC0722.jpg

GEDC0723.jpg

GEDC0725.jpg

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Well here are the few that I carry, which one depends really on my mood

Rapheal Durand sambar folder

P1020047.jpg

John Howser whittler with stag scales

P1020046.jpg

Case sway back jack

P1020048.jpg

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Woah some cracking knives showing up!

I might get a joker some time, best place to get one?

What steels are usually on the old fashioned knives like case?

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Both mine are the Joker No 74 in carbon steel and the one handle is longer than the other, one was from ronnie sunshine and one was from a friend.

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
My everyday carry knives are 2 of the old type German Army issue with non locking blades. One is in my work trousers is marked Victorinox the other in my jeans is marked B&H ROSTFREI. the later is equally as good as the Victorinox. both of blades have been shortened and re profiled to 3"...
http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30&Itemid=35

These are the only stainless blades I own; all others from the chefs knives I was given when I left catering to the modest selection of blades I take when camping with my grandchildren so they can learn their correct safe use, are all carbon steel & can be sharpened/stropped on anything from a belt to the base of a pottery mug/cup.

Last edited:

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Woah some cracking knives showing up!

I might get a joker some time, best place to get one?

What steels are usually on the old fashioned knives like case?

Hi Samon

Case use a rage of steels on there knives, the sway back jack in the photo I put up has carbon steel blades, its a cracking little pocket knife for edc

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
that looks very nice indeed! I bet that lovely sheath makes it much more special.

Its a lovely little knife and the sheath is perfect for it, much better than the cordura one it came with, luckylee was spot on with it.

Used to carry a sak huntsman but found I only used the knife blade as Ive usually got a leatherman nearby, so decided to spend a bit more on a good knife and its been worth it so far.

whiskersnitch

Oct 12, 2011
Upstate NY (not NYC), USA
I've gone years carrying just a SAK Tinker, but recently I've fallen in love with the unassuming U.S. knife (this is a Camillus, dated 1993)... It just feels right in my hand, it's unassuming/non-threatening (sometimes, here in the US, we get weird looks when we whip out a knife in public) and I can't imagine carrying anything else in my pocket. It's an equal opportunity wood carver and salami slicer!

IMG_1027.jpg

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
I've gone years carrying just a SAK Tinker, but recently I've fallen in love with the unassuming U.S. knife (this is a Camillus, dated 1993)... It just feels right in my hand, it's unassuming/non-threatening (sometimes, here in the US, we get weird looks when we whip out a knife in public) and I can't imagine carrying anything else in my pocket. It's an equal opportunity wood carver and salami slicer!

IMG_1027.jpg

Yay! The U.S. SAK! I'd love to find one of these in the UK - How do they measure up to the SAK Soldier model (which I guess it's modelled on)?

whiskersnitch

Oct 12, 2011
Upstate NY (not NYC), USA
I'm not sure which came first, the SAK Soldier or the U.S., chicken and eggy, I guess... Though, I've seen some that are dated during the Vietnam era (and I believe they were issued/sold before that). SAKs are typically (in my opinion) easier to sharpen, but this has better edge retention. This is also very heavy duty (but not overly heavy), and quite comfortable. It's become my favorite pocket knife ever, and they are getting extremely hard to find for a reasonable price here in the US.

I paid $40USD for mine, as it was unused/unsharpened/unissued. More than I should have paid, but now I feel it was worth every cent.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Oh, I should add (since I can't seem to edit yet?), when I mean hard to find... I mean genuine US made... You can buy Chinese clones of these knives for a few bucks, but it's just not the same, you know?

Yeah - there are a few surplus shops selling the Chinese ones and they're not much good. I hear the genuine ones are very solid. Interesting re the edge retention. Is it harder dteel than the SAK?

I think the SAK came first - they're over a century old, not in their present form obviously, but not too different.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE