What's in your medi kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Do not use the quickclot powder if you've not been trained, get it right and you'll only cause a night mare for the hospital staff who have to try and wash it out the wound, get it wrong and your blind with burns to your eys, nose and mouth and your a nightmare for hospital staff again.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Well that makes sense as I administer POM's on a daily basis and I can't prescribe!

I would expect in the MR environment (and other similar) the team members are giving POM's based on training and protocols overseen / written by the team Dr? Or how does it work?

KP
Spot on. You can administer drugs only if you are certified Casualty Carer.

Most members of our team are taught a level of first aid which exceeds First Aid At Work. It includes the use of airway adjuncts, chest seals, jaw thrusts and a few other bits and pieces. Even then they are not expected to take the lead. The training can be used if they are first on scene but it is mainly intended to allow them to.assist a Casualty Carer. The CC asks for oxygen, morphine, entonox, nebuliser, etc and the team member can prepare it for them. But only the Casualty Carer can administer the POM.

I think the Casualty Care training and certification standard is the same across all MR teams. Our team is looking to exceed these standards when it comes to any drugs, not just POM. Quite soon a Casualty Carer in our team will only be authorised to administer drugs if they have passed an additional certification exam which covers just drugs. It will go in to more detail on side affects, interactions, contraindications, etc. I'm looking forward to this as I felt we didnt spend enough time on drugs in the training and trying to include it in continuation training along with all whether subjects we need to keep abreast of is difficult. This additional certification will give the team Medical Officer and me the confidence in me that is needed to be sure I won't kill someone by mistake!

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions just drop me a line.

Nigel.

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
The nationl resus council certainly thinks hands only cpr is a very viable means of maintaining an O2 flow also for keeping the heart in as good a shape as possible by preventing swelling of the chambers so as to respond to a defibrillator this is supported by research which I unfortunately can't find to quote., the medallion ting is a bit bad as if that's the info someone takes away, what happens I the sov is over the to the left or right?
That might be slightly overstating the case. What they actually say is:
It is effective for a limited period only (probably less than 5 min) and is not recommended as the
standard management of out-of-hospital cardiac arrest.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
That might be slightly overstating the case. What they actually say is:
It is effective for a limited period only (probably less than 5 min) and is not recommended as the
standard management of out-of-hospital cardiac arrest.

Just to throw in my 2 pence worth to the discussion.....

It's nigh on impossible to get good quality research regarding the goings on around cardiac arrest - its not something you can double blind placebo control! Resuscitation guidelines are based on the limited research available (which is shoddy at best) and expert opinion. If you read the current guidelines it does elude to the fact that there is an increasing preponderance towards chest compressions for 1 simple fact - cessation of chest compressions leads to a loss of coronary perfusion pressure (ie the output from your heart that keeps blood going to the heart muscle itself). YEs, after a certain amount of time there will be a lack of oxygen in the blood that does reach the heart, but for bystander, or even first aider CPR, maintaining this coronary perfusion pressure is easier with compression only CPR (in the earlier quoted guideline they state they do not want to confuse people by changing guidance completely going off in a different direction), and personally I think this is the way things are going. It takes a good portion of the chest compressions (I’m remembering 10 to 15, but dont quote me) to regain an adequate coronary perfusion pressure.

It’s been said a couple of times that it is only effective for 5 minutes, but realistically if you do not have a paramedic in attendance within 5 minutes (who can give DC cardioversion hopefully restoring output, and if not intubate to allow asynchronous chest compressions and ventilation), you are a long way up S*** creek with no paddle. I work as part of the cardiac arrest team in the hospital, and to be perfectly honest even members of this team, who have been in their profession for many more years than I have, give suboptimal chest compressions. If in the group of professionals, whose job it is to do this on a day to day basis, struggle to perform adequate chest compression and thus maintain good coronary perfusion pressure, then jo public with bystander A doing CPR and attempting to blow expired gases into the lungs, losing about 8 - 10 seconds of CPR, thus losing the coronary perfusion pressure it took half the last cycle of chest compression to build up........ ah I think you get my point. Time will tell what the resus council go with when they next review the guidelines.

The kettle of fish may be a different one if you throw oxygen into the mix, because you are then putting more than 17% oxygen into the lungs, and it’s also slightly different if you have multiple trained people able to perform bystander CPR, as the down time between compressions is less if the second person is able to maintain an open airway and reduce the time taken to give breaths between compressions.

Dammit I knew I couldn’t hold the rant back forever!

Sorry to thread jack. THis is a useful thread, always good to compare kit lists and I will be updating my kit as result of some of the kit lists in here. Some interesting discussion too.

entropydog

May 14, 2010
derby
Chewing Aspirin is always a good start for 95% feeling chest pains. CPR is for those that are already dead and very rarely works. If you can hook them up to an AED within 5 mins they have a slightly better chance of returning to life. In urban areas Ambulances may arrive in time. In the outdoors??.. It’s instinctive to go out of your way to sustain another’s life to the upmost and a 1% chance is always better that none, but it’s the speed of getting the AED that counts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE